SASS Wire Forum

Any interest in a repository of stages?

Go West

I would like to see a repository of stages somewhere that folks might submit their favorites or select from. It could be a sticky post on the Wire or perhaps a separate Forum. People could expand their outlook by using stages that are new to them or if they are having a difficult time coming up with ideas, find a place for inspiration. The possibilities are endless as to how to organize or even break them down into groupings by firearms, number of targets and/or types of sweeps. One could note the source (Winter Range 2015, etc.) or even the median time for a complete stage if they were so inclined. What do you think?

Stages are different for different ranges. Some ranges are limited to very little movement, some have facades that limit imagination, and there are ranges with lots of movement. Some have all three. One may have to look through dozens of scenarios to fit their needs. Sequences are easier, however, still could be problematic.

If they call for a ten target sweep the shooting bay may not be wide enough. Then, if it's a large bay the opposite problem. Huge bay with just a couple targets looks stoopid.

I know it’s not exactly what you are looking for, but this might help some...  Whenever I go to a large match I film the stages with the targets set-up, add a photo of the stage from the shooter’s handbook, do a voiceover reading through the instructions and then demo a shooter running the stage.  I post them onto YouTube here: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fnvqcWus_YZS2rjya59Qg

The photos of the stages, from the shooter’s handbook, can be found here:

JED iTV on Facebook

This sample video, from 2017, was the first time I attempted this type of video.  It proved so popular I continued and improved on it!

Hope that helps...

I enjoy seeing the type of stages folks are shooting in other parts of the country, really like Jedi TV. I have most of the Shooters Handbooks from the TN State Matches all the way back to the first one at Wartrace.

Imis  What is this "practice" thing of which you speak?

I know it’s not exactly what you are looking for, but this might help some...  Whenever I go to a large match I film the stages with the targets set-up, add a photo of the stage from the shooter’s handbook, do a voiceover reading through the instructions and then demo a shooter running the stage.  I post them onto YouTube here: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fnvqcWus_YZS2rjya59Qg

The photos of the stages, from the shooter’s handbook, can be found here:

JED iTV on Facebook

This sample video, from 2017, was the first time I attempted this type of video.  It proved so popular I continued and improved on it!

Hope that helps...

Sir, I enjoy the heck out of your videos. There's always something to learn, too. That one where your cuffs got hung up in the jail bars made me chuckle and fer sure, if it had been me, I'd a got stuck.

Sometimes it's just the little details. 

Merry Christmas! 

Sir, I enjoy the heck out of your videos. There's always something to learn, too. That one where your cuffs got hung up in the jail bars made me chuckle and fer sure, if it had been me, I'd a got stuck.

Sometimes it's just the little details. 

Merry Christmas! 

Merry Christmas to you as well!  

And, yeah, this episode proved to be quite popular :D 

I like to see clubs post them on their websites (we do), so folks can see what they are going to be shooting and take a look back to see what kinds of stages the particular club shoots. Be proud of your stuff... post it!

I like to see clubs post them on their websites (we do), so folks can see what they are going to be shooting and take a look back to see what kinds of stages the particular club shoots. Be proud of your stuff... post it!

This times 1 million.

I know a lot of shooters state, "I don't care what the stages are; I'll shoot whatever they place in front of me"...

But speaking for myself; I know the things I like and the things I don't, and if given the option, I'll pass on matches I won't enjoy.

I understand; looking at stages won't tell the whole story; I can't determine distances or target sizes simply from stage description.

But knowing the type of sequences used; the incorporation or avoidance of P traps and even the amount of movement can give a fair idea of the clubs philosophy. 

And knowing that philosophy in conjunction with past match scores is often enough to determine if I will enjoy the shoot.

Posting your stages is a win - win for everybody. 

It either provides shooters incentive to attend or gives them the choice to spend their time and entertainment dollar elsewhere.

This times 1 million.

I know a lot of shooters state, "I don't care what the stages are; I'll shoot whatever they place in front of me"...

But speaking for myself; I know the things I like and the things I don't, and if given the option, I'll pass on matches I won't enjoy.

I understand; looking at stages won't tell the whole story; I can't determine distances or target sizes simply from stage description.

But knowing the type of sequences used; the incorporation or avoidance of P traps and even the amount of movement can give a fair idea of the clubs philosophy. 

And knowing that philosophy in conjunction with past match scores is often enough to determine if I will enjoy the shoot.

Posting your stages is a win - win for everybody. 

It either provides shooters incentive to attend or gives them the choice to spend their time and entertainment dollar elsewhere.

Creeker, everyone doesn't have the resources or ability to post scenarios. I personally don't have time and have no clue how to even write scenarios digitally. 

As I've stated many times, clubs are only two or three members away from folding up. We don't have any new club members, there is waning interest, and few want to help do anything. What may be simple for you isn't simple for a luddite like myself. I write many scenarios, and draw everything out on paper. None of the local clubs I attend post scenarios ahead of monthly matches, probably for the same reasons I don't. 

Assassin, I feel your pain. We have usually 20-30 shooters per match but very few of those are dedicated to our club and do the match production work.

A lot of folks in this area shoot most weekends and are not allied with one club. Some have been MDs and have experienced burnout... I get it.

The digital stage writing is cake, once you have a system for doing that (we use an Excel spreadsheet). Everything is kept digitally and only edited for new matches/stages. When finished and cross-checked with a couple other match officials, the stages are saved as a PDF package. From there its easy to post them online. I had no idea how to do it but with a little help from a couple much more tech savvy than myself, I have been administering the website and posting stages monthly for a bit now. I can't get to the range for set-up, so this is my contribution. No, the MD should NOT have to do it all, they need help. If you belong to a club and enjoy the matches, please help out where you can or our sport will, in fact, die out.

Best of luck, Assassin.

Creeker, everyone doesn't have the resources or ability to post scenarios. I personally don't have time and have no clue how to even write scenarios digitally. 

As I've stated many times, clubs are only two or three members away from folding up. We don't have any new club members, there is waning interest, and few want to help do anything. What may be simple for you isn't simple for a luddite like myself. I write many scenarios, and draw everything out on paper. None of the local clubs I attend post scenarios ahead of monthly matches, probably for the same reasons I don't. 

Waning interest and the specter of clubs folding up will never be addressed by leaders doing less work.

I ran two clubs at the same time for well over a decade.  

Vice President/ President, Match Director, Range Master and Web Master.

When I began doing stage writing; I had already attended too many shoots with hand written sheets of paper, mis-spelled and inconsistent. 

So I used the internet and taught myself how to use Word and Excel and Publisher to achieve the look I wanted.

And doing the stages digitally takes no more time than writing them out by hand.

When these clubs needed websites; I had already dealt with too many clubs with poor websites and lacking features.

So I used the internet and taught myself web design to create a product that satisfied the questions I want answered when I look at a club.

I built club sites and maintained them.

If someone doesn't want to do something; they can simply state,

"I don't want to do it"

or

"I don't think it's important or necessary". 

That's a fair response and obviously their right to feel that way.

But I don't buy the "I don't have time"

or

"I don't know how" reason to not do something.

If something someone wants to do something badly enough - there are infinite resources online to learn how to do something.

If someone wants to do something badly enough - they will find time to do it.

It is a matter of priorities.

Doing whatever I had to do to make my clubs successful was a priority to me.

So I slept less.

Watched less TV.

Instead of web surfing; I learned a couple simple and minor skills - wrote stages and updated websites.

I wrote posts on the SASS wire discussing my thoughts on stage design and match philosophy to create interest in attending my matches.

I sought out advice on growing clubs and increasing match attendence.

I carried business cards for my club and took every opportunity to ambassador for cowboy action shooting at gun shops and Walmart and the grocery store to anyone who would listen or I saw opportunity.

Assassin, I'm not attacking you or diminishing your efforts.

Because I fully understand frustration and burn out. 

Feeling you are the only one that gives a crap about the product.

I have been there.

But continuing on the same path at the same pace will pretty much always take you to the same destination.

:ph34r:   A stage repository is a great idea.  I very much enjoy the variety to be found (and 'borrowed from') to add spice to our club matches.  I freely borrow ideas from the larger matches I attend in order to give some of our members who don't or are unable to travel a taste of what's out there.  Very much appreciated are creative ways to keep our matches interesting.

I will say that some of what I've experienced could go into a "stage suppository"......   the creator should shove it up their a$$....:wacko:

One of my favorite matches in the last nine years was 2019 Bordertown.  They took many of the best stages from previous Bordertown matches and even posted the fastest time that stage was shot.  Don't know how they are going to top it, but I am sure they will come up with something.

Archived