SASS Wire Forum

The New Stoeger Locked up

bgavin

I take the new SxS to the trap range every week to shoot a round and break it in.
Today, it jammed up solid and wouldn't lock.

The ejector was stuck in the out position and would not return.
Field stripped it, dropped a bit of oil on the extractor shaft and got it moving.
Now, it won't close all the way and lock.

I'll get it torn down further when more time permits.
My SxS must have some Windows 10 heritage... even though it is brand new, it still locks up.

I had my Rossi no close and lock up.

After a complete disassembly and looking with a magnifying glass and even took a pointed steel scribe, I found it.

1 lead BB (7.5) had gotten on the receiver where the barrels sit when closed.

The BB was so flat I could not see it.

The pointed scribe when dragged across it, peeled up an edge.

Using a single edge razor, I scrapped the lead film off and it works well again.

Now on a Stoger I find that the firing pin retaining nut backs out just a little bit.

I can feel it with my finger tip but it is hard to see when looking.

Tighten them up and all was good again.

Make sure the screw that holds the extractor didn't tighten up and check that the shaft of the extractor is straight. Mine was somewhat bent when I got it and not quite round. Had to also file ( the shaft so to speak ) a bit to make it move smoothly in the hole. I also put just a touch of blue Loc-Tite on the screw to keep it in place. Just don't use so much it gets down into the extractor channel/hole.Haven't had an issue in 8 years.

I'm thinking the extractor shaft could be a wee bit bent.
There is a sideways leverage on the extractor when the action closes to push it back into position.
I can see where the shaft could become bent if it doesn't retract due to cold or a lube problem.

I won't be working the problem today..
I have a Christmas Eve photo shoot for a group, and have to get ready for that.
Wrongway has been sick in bed the last few days with the latest grand kiddie illness.

Thanks to all above who posted excellent tips on what to look for.
I didn't want to start polishing and slicking the gun, in case there was a defect and it had to go back for factory repairs.

I'm thinking the extractor shaft could be a wee bit bent.
There is a sideways leverage on the extractor when the action closes to push it back into position.
I can see where the shaft could become bent if it doesn't retract due to cold or a lube problem.

I won't be working the problem today..
I have a Christmas Eve photo shoot for a group, and have to get ready for that.
Wrongway has been sick in bed the last few days with the latest grand kiddie illness.

Thanks to all above who posted excellent tips on what to look for.
I didn't want to start polishing and slicking the gun, in case there was a defect and it had to go back for factory repairs.

To eliminate the extractor from the problem. Simply remove it from the gun and operate it normally. If the problem is gone you know where to work on it.

I found the problem.

The barrel pivot is destroyed.
A chunk of the hinge broke off and is jammed into the receiver side of the hinge.

Looks like Stoeger owes me a new gun.

I found the problem.

The barrel pivot is destroyed.
A chunk of the hinge broke off and is jammed into the receiver side of the hinge.

Looks like Stoeger owes me a new gun.

Good luck, I haven’t heard much positive about their service on the wire.

The barrel pivot lock sheared right off.
The missing part is jammed in the receiver and won't come out easily.
This is why the action won't lock.

I took the extractor out, and must admit I am seriously disappointed in the lack of finish work.
The shaft of the extractor is literally as rough as a round file.

This shotgun has maybe 12 rounds through it, total.
I started taking it to my weekly trap shoot just to break it in and get used to it.

Composite.Both.720.sfw.jpg

From the pictures I can see cracks in the left clocking lever. The extractor rod is not critical. Only the machined cut out where the screw tip resides.

I would be concerned about other unseen cracks in other parts of the casting.

As long as you have not modified it as of yet they should replace the gun for you.

Unfortunately this just shows a lack of quality control.

Good luck to you and yours.

It is a brand new gun and 100% virgin out of the box.
Bought in June, tied up in CA waiting period delays...
Finally out to the trap range for break it.. and it died.

I wish I would have taken pix when I unboxed it... because I remember that barrel lug not looking right, but did not investigate it.
It could very well have come out of the box like this for all I know.

The cocking lever markings are casting marks, not cracks.
I checked very closely with a high powered glass.

The extractor rod set screw is finger loose.
The extractor still has to slide on the shaft, and that is rough as hell.
When seated, the extractor is a super tight fit and requires a tool to push it out of home position.

If Stoeger tells me to pound sand, I can either sue them (waste of $$) or find a sharp TIG man to build up that pivot hinge.

Question:  Can SxS barrels be replaced, or are they matched to the receiver?

If Stoeger has to replace my entire shotgun, the serial number will change.
This probably means another $75 FFL fee.

Question:  Should the hinge clearance be checked before use?

I'm thinking a simple strand of small diameter solder as a test gauge between the barrel hinge and the receiver as it closes.
Using it in a similar manner as how Plastigage is used in babbit style engine bearings.

Upon closer inspection, the Stoeger is a very primitively machined product.
I'm mulling over a polish job of the hinge, or ??, to keep it from binding in the receiver.

Mine failed by binding in the receiver when it snapped off the tip of the hinge and jammed it in the receiver.

A friend was shooting Sporting Clays with his Stoeger SxS and couldn't hit anything.    After patterning the gun into a large cardboard, determined that the barrels were welded together with one pointing northeast and the other pointing southwest......He quickly got rid of the gun as the quality was so poor......

A friend was shooting Sporting Clays with his Stoeger SxS and couldn't hit anything.    After patterning the gun into a large cardboard, determined that the barrels were welded together with one pointing northeast and the other pointing southwest......He quickly got rid of the gun as the quality was so poor......

Mine don't hit to POA either, the left barrel hits to the left and the right hits low. For some reason I don't seem to notice it while shooting CAS, although I have been known to miss on occasion, but rarely. I seem to have more issue with the flying pop-ups.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a call back from Stoeger today.
They never did receive the online RMA I submitted, so I started calling and leaving messages for a call-back.

The broken barrel lug means a new gun.
They tell me each barrel is hand fitted to the receiver for headspace, etc.

This means another $75 in FFL fees because of the new serial number.
CA will most likely make me wait another 10 days for pickup, which is 2 trips to the FFL.

After experiencing my own problems, and hearing about so many similar problems with other shooters, I won't ever buy another Stoeger again.

Q: is there a hammerless, double trigger SxS that is more reliable and/or easier to repair?

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Q: is there a hammerless, double trigger SxS that is more reliable and/or easier to repair?

Nothing NEW that I've heard of; though I suspect a CZ Bobwhite would be a good option.

A used Baikal or Charles Daily 500 would be good choices if you can locate one.

27 minutes ago, bgavin said:

So they are saying nobody there is good enough to fit new barrels to an almost new receiver.       GW

Stories such as this make me glad I bit the bullet, coughed up the cash, and got a Browning instead of a Stoeger. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Dude

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Nothing NEW that I've heard of; though I suspect a CZ Bobwhite would be a good option.

Is the Bobwhite one of those "made in Turkey" guns?

Had my Stoeger since '96 - it's been tuned (Ketchum Quick) and still works like a charm. Bought another Stoeger and then tuned (Doc Noper) this last year - so far after a couple matches it works fine. Good shotguns IMHO. Obviously your mileage varies - sorry for your trouble.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My Spanish AyA doubles have served me impeccably for six decades. I have shot wart hog loads of black powder through them and even used them to start sailboat races. :)

IMHO, buying quality is everything. My cost per year is max nix.  :D

I have and still use a Stoeger that I bought in '97. It has  never failed me. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with yours.

I was told by a counter guy at Cabela's a couple of years ago that the newer Stoegers aren't as robust as the older models.

Not sure what  I would do if mine broke and couldn't be repaired. Maybe I would finish that Stevens 311 I have in pieces in my garage. ;)

My neighbor has a mid-60s era Stevens 311C that I want to trade him out of.
He needs a computer, I'd like that SxS.

Examination of mine leads me to believe the barrel lug was too tight in the receiver when locked up.
It sheared the tip off the lug and it remains jammed in the receiver.

In my mind, a good TIG man could build up the missing part of the lug.
Most of the diameter is still present, so this would be easy to recreate after the built-up lug was dressed back to proper shape.
There is a member here who does this.
I sent an IM but have not heard back yet.

Overall, I do like the Stoeger.
The barrel lug is a complete deal breaker, though.
Most everything else can be repaired or replaced.

Doc McCandless has gone through a number of Stoegers with broken lugs, broken stocks, etc.
At $500 each, plus $75 FFL, plus 10-day waiting periods... this gets ugly, and fast.

I will ask Stoeger if I have the 1 year or their advertised 5 year warranty.
And how many times I can get the gun repaired under that warranty.

Stoeger is indeed offering a 5-year warranty on their guns.

They sent me a nice pre-paid shipping label for FedEx.
The fine print said, "be sure to insure your gun."

FedEx says, "we cannot add insurance to a pre-paid shipping label, so you have to do a new label."
I asked, "Does this mean I have to pay the shipping charges so I can get insurance?"
FedEx, "Yes, normally the prepaid shipping label has the insurance figured in."

Bingo.

Archived