SASS Wire Forum

Help me pick a Christmas gift...errr gun

JD Lud

So the Christmas fund for self gun is at 1300 bucks....my leading candidate is a Springfield st edge pistol.....any other ideas or thoughts that do not include any semi auto rifle?  All semi auto rifles are now assault rifles in my state so not buying....Also it has to be new.....

Fire away...

So the Christmas fund for self gun is at 1300 bucks....my leading candidate is a Springfield st edge pistol.....any other ideas or thoughts that do not include any semi auto rifle?  All semi auto rifles are now assault rifles in my state so not buying....Also it has to be new.....

Fire away...

How about a cool Schofield?? They're around $1100.00 I believe! Happy shopping !!!

What state are you in?

Anyway, I would just go with what you really want. Funny that a Springfield Saint Edge pistol is okay but an AR based rifle is not. 

By the way, I have bought a couple of the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot sights, one for my AR and one for my PC Carbine and I like them very much. A very nice little red dot that would go very well on a  Saint pistol and not break the bank.

Washington state, my thoughts exactly on AR pistol vs rifle but  government wisdom doesn’t exist. Pat.  I sold a couple nice rifles just because they got a lot more right before the law passed.  

maybe a bunch of ammo.....maybe a new Dillon 750.....problem is I don’t shoot much out here but sold guns this year and have to reinvest the money into that area.

About any Springfield would make a good choice.

I own their TRP 10mm 6-incher and love it.

I also own a very nice SIG P229 Legend in .357 Sig.   Another GREAT pistol.

If it were me, I wouldn't rule out a nice .22 pistol.   I own and shoot the S&W model 41

and a few of the Browning Buckmark models.   I would probably go with another

Buckmark because they make so many nice variations (options).

Good Luck.

..........Widder  (Walkin In A Widder Wonderland)

J-Bar, believe it or not Bob already made me do just that...I ordered the King Cobra 3" last night and some ammo to go with it!  Trying some Federal HSTs for it after seeing some nice expansion results and then some old reliable golden sabers.  1300 is about the amount leftover from this.  

The STI looks a bit rich, I have only had one of their lower end 1911s before. 

I was thinking about the Colt Cobra TALO and some more ammo....can never have enough ammo....Being off work for a couple weeks leads me to buy a lot of stuff over the break......

some fine suggestions.  I did a little ammo inventory and found a gun I need to get rid of that I never use (looks brand new Glock g40 with a venom lol) which can help buy even more stuff :)  

So far might add a 20" barrel upper for a 300 blackout rifle I have and really dont see the need to buy/reload ammo for.  Looking at some 1911s as well.  Right now leaning with the saint edge and the upper

Les Baer pistols with the optional extra accuracy charge are the absolute best.

Ironically I drove within 1 mile of his place in Le Claire, Iowa on my way to work for a long time before I realized he had moved there.  Always meant to but never stopped by, figured I might get an itch.

Okay, Here is what I want if I fall into $1100 that I can play with. I won't be going with the rails on it though.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-327-trr8

That or maybe this:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-mp-r8

If you want a new AR in WA state just build your own. The stripped lower isn't technically a semi-auto so it is simply regarded as a firearm. From there you can build whatever you want... rifle or pistol. No two-week waiting period either. Just hurry before the antis figure it out and ban virtually everything that isn't a single-shot. If they can call a .22 Marlin 60 an assault weapon they can do anything.

Ruger Super Blackhawk stainless steel in 41 mag.

Got one but it's a Super BlackHawk Hunter, nicest pistol I own.

Had the mc operatormfor a bit should have kept.  Anyways thanks for all ideas!  Decided to stick with the Saint Edge!  Ordering tomorrow...but I will be going to Portland where if I find a rifle I can bring it home....

For a post Korean War "military style" rifle I acquired a PTR-109 for Christmas.  It is a copy of a H&K91 with pic rail.  The 109 has the German Navy G-3 assault rifle.  I like firearms with unique operating systems.  The rifle uses a roller delayed blowback action like the HK MP5 & CETME rifle. 

PTR 109.pdf

Well....In addition to ordering the Saint Edge pistol, I went ahead and picked up a Springfield TRP Operator in grey.  Traded in a Kimber Royal that sure was beautiful...but I couldn't find a legitimate use to have it....A safe queen.....Ill grab a light for the TRP :)

So got to the FFL this morning, WA state took over the background checks from the Feds so pretty much max 10 day wait in everything....still waiting to pick up the King Cobra.

anyways, TRP trigger is gritty, has a lot of take up, and is nowhere near crisp.  It is the worst of any 1911 I have owned out of the box...yes....even a 500 dollar one.

the saint edge Pistol on the other hand has a fantastic trigger.  It is better than the 1911.....no lie.  I was hesitant spending this much on an AR pistol but the maxim stock and trigger are worth it.  

for now I feel good about the saint, bad on the trp...

• 2 weeks later...

Felt the need to add this to clean up my complaints about Springfield.  When I picked the TRP up this week, the trigger felt in line with my other 1911s...the grit had vanished, and it has a clean break.  It’s not the best I have but I’m good with it....no idea why.  You could feel the grit before, maybe just cycling a few times.  Springfield was sending me a label to ship it back, I said to forget it for now.

thanks again for all the help!  Was my birthday too and I traded one in so went above original budget :)

DFA2C96F-88DC-4C0D-8389-543377A4995E.jpeg

Cool. Glad you got a couple new toys to play with...I see no mention regarding the new revolver I see in your picture. I can’t quite make out what it is. Did you get a new revolver too? :)

Archived