SASS Wire Forum

Coachgun Forearm...and Thanks

Ozark Okie

Just wrapped up my first year of shooting with our club shoot yesterday; thinking of my improvement plan for next year. In addition to practice, practice (physical and mental), I will likely add a different SxS shotgun. My Stoeger coachgun has served me well and I'll keep shooting it until I find the right deal on an SKB or similar....something that will handle a little more nimbly for me. My least favorite thing about the Stoeger is the forearm:

1) I cant get it to fit tightly...gun locks up tight, but forearm moves a little in my hand. I've used leather shims between forearm wood and barrels and in the locking hook under barrels...still loose.

2), I've never been a fan of beavertail forearms, wonder if there is a way to refine it  a little. I know its not a fine English field gun, but if anyone has done anything to reshape one and thin it down a little,  I'd like to know your experience. Would have to be well proportioned and I wouldn't want to botch up the checkering.   

Thanks for any comments, suggestions on the coachgun.....and many thanks for all the help and information I have  received over the past year. 

Merry Christmas to all!   

Ozark Okie

My forearm wiggles a little on my Stoeger.. :huh:

I checked all the screws to make sure they we tight.. :unsure: they were.. :huh:

So I put a couple layers of duct tape between the forearm and barrels..:wacko:

Seem to help a little..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' duct tape won't fix everything perfect.. :huh:

I used archery camo tape under my forestock and it works for a while. Then replace! I only notice the movement at the bench, can't say I ever noticed it while shooting. The checkering and finish were cheesy on my Stoeger, so I sanded all the checkering off and refinished with Tru-Oil. Don't miss the checkering at all.

Cowboys, thank you for the feedback.  Agree the forearm wrap would tighten it up, as would the tape (I'm a big fan of duct tape, having used it for everything from bandages to  small boats with my grandkids), but I think I can tighten it up by a little careful "hammer adjustment" on the underbarrel lug.....gonna try that. czhen, I'm ready to modify the contour of my forearm as your are; thinking of taking off maybe 3/16-1/4" on each side, leaving a little up on the barrels. I believe I can do most of the removal on my bench sander and finish the rounding contours by hand. I'd be interested in hearing and seeing what you come up with. 

Again, my thanks to all of you and my best wishes for a Merry Christmas!

OO  

Archived