SASS Wire Forum

You Wouldn't Believe it Unless You Were There

Tequila Shooter

Went to a local match Saturday and one stage had the usual 4 knockdown SG targets.  Shot the first 3 no problem, then I got to the last one, 9 shots later (I ran out of shells) it was still standing.  As confirmed by the spotters, every round was on the center of the target.  After I ran out of shells I told the TO that I want to make sure it wasn't a prop malfunction, someone else grabbed their SG and using their shell knocked it down.  No one else had the same problem, and before and after that one target every other KD fell with 1 round.  I should have taken the miss sooner but I'm stubborn and kept shooting, of course that added a lot of time.  It was a hoot and everyone on the posse including me got a laugh out of the KD that beat me.

Had that happen to me on the last target of the of the last stage of the match. All that was between me and my first clean match was a shotgun KD.  Hit it 6 times and it wouldn't go down. Looked at the TO and he was LHAO. He declared a prop failure and I got my clean match. 

Tequila,

Its obvious to me that your 9 shots on the target loosened it up enough (broke its malfunctioning problem)

and allowed that 10th shell to knock it down..... ;)

That might sound a little funny but allowing a 10th shot put on it does prove a malfunction wasn't there

earlier in the previous 9 shots..... ESPECIALLY when those 9 rounds were confirmed by the spotters.

P.S. - next time, pull the trigger harder..... :lol::D

..........Widder

Really your TO should have called a down range after you were done and checked the questionable KD target instead of someone else just blasting away at it IMO! 
You say the KD target beat you, but in reality the TO exhibited a case of poor match officiating and everyone got a laugh on your misfortune! 
 On occasion these things are going to happen at a match, doesn’t make it right tho. Whether it’s at a local monthly or larger annual, don’t let mediocrity of others affect your outcome!

And I bet someone said.... “it’s doesn’t matter, just a monthly” <_<

Saw it happen to another shooter Saturday, after five shots rocked the target the TO just welled "it's down".

Sometimes a high hit looks like a center hit too

I've see that exact thing happen to a couple of really top notch shooters, you're not alone!!;)

What was the target distance?  If it was more than ten yards, you might take a look at your pattern and consider different wads, or consider larger, heavier shot.   But inside ten yards, the pattern is more like a rifle.  There, little matters except sights, stock fitting/cast off  - - - and proper target function. 

I shoot at the range. It has some older shotgun targets that definitely need some work done to them. It’s quite often that most of the targets on the stage will go down and one is just stubborn. If I am a spotter or TOI will call it down. When you see a direct hit on a target and it doesn’t knock it over then it is a target malfunction especially if the shooter has knocked down other Like style shotgun targets in that stage. Or I will give them a re-shoot. 

I shoot at the range. It has some older shotgun targets that definitely need some work done to them. It’s quite often that most of the targets on the stage will go down and one is just stubborn. If I am a spotter or TOI will call it down. When you see a direct hit on a target and it doesn’t knock it over then it is a target malfunction especially if the shooter has knocked down other Like style shotgun targets in that stage. Or I will give them a re-shoot. 

I did protest it, but they didn't count it down and of course no re-shoot.  At least it was a local match + I still won my category ( 1 of 1) ;)  :D

I had a stubborn KD target like that at a state match once. Went through all my ammo. Perplexing, since all my other KD's at the match went down OK. Never thought of pulling both triggers on it! Hope I remember that if it ever happens again! :o

TC, from the title, I thought that you were going to tell us you were the top over all shooter at the last match.:D:lol: 

On a serious note. This happened to a nationally known top tier shooter at a state match. KD finally dropped after several shots. It was determined to be a prop failure and a re-shoot was given. Can't remember exactly what happened, but he earned a SDQ during the re-shoot. OUCH!

TC, from the title, I thought that you were going to tell us you were the top over all shooter at the last match.:D:lol: 

On a serious note. This happened to a nationally known top tier shooter at a state match. KD finally dropped after several shots. It was determined to be a prop failure and a re-shoot was given. Can't remember exactly what happened, but he earned a SDQ during the re-shoot. OUCH!

Why a reshoot? Why not back the timer up to the first shot that hit the target? 

I had a stubborn KD target like that at a state match once. Went through all my ammo. Perplexing, since all my other KD's at the match went down OK. Never thought of pulling both triggers on it! Hope I remember that if it ever happens again! :o

Good strategy, but only if you've got 2 triggers.  ;)

Fair hit, Lo Noise Lo Recoil will take down ANY correctly adjusted target.

You are correct. However, they won't take down a target that's out of adjustment and it'll cost time doing reshoots until it's down. 

Why a reshoot? Why not back the timer up to the first shot that hit the target? 

The stage continued for two more shooters while the prop malfunction was argued discussed.

Archived