SASS Wire Forum

NY State Police Test New Light Bars

Subdeacon Joe

Holy Cow! It’s like a Star Wars light show! They could scare the living hell out of people with those things. :lol:

I had a California Highway Patrol turn his lights on behind me a while back. He needed to get around me to go to a call. He about gave me a coronary at 4:30 in the morning. Those New York lights would have done me in. :lol::D

Holy Cow! It’s like a Star Wars light show! They could scare the living hell out of people with those things. :lol:

I had a California Highway Patrol turn his lights on behind me a while back. He needed to get around me to go to a call. He about gave me a coronary at 4:30 in the morning. Those New York lights would have done me in. :lol::D

If I have it right, they only deploy them to vertical when they are stopped.

That's the only thing that makes sense. If they stood them up while they were in high speed pursuit, the wind generated by their passage would snatch them off the car.

The Town of Poughkeepsie NY has been using these light bars for at least 15 years, seems the N.Y.S. Troopers are a little behind the times.

I wonder how they will hold up, no pun intended, under extreme weather conditions? Especially below zero. Bar goes up, maybe, but will it come down? Now what will you do:o

I wonder how they will hold up, no pun intended, under extreme weather conditions? Especially below zero. Bar goes up, maybe, but will it come down? Now what will you do:o

One would assume they did sufficient r&d before marketing them. But you know what they say about assuming. ;)

Oh goody.  A bigger, brighter, flashier target for drunks, junkies, and idiots to aim at.....not to mention the flashier part is also somewhat hypnotic.

I wonder whose brother-in-law thought up and is selling these things.

Well, while it's true that dtunks tend to turn the wheel wherever their eyes wander you still have to do ypur best to warn approaching traffic. I always used to tell my officers to avoid making traffic stops on the interstate unless it was a life or death scenario. Let the Highway Patrol handle it. I had two friends seriously injured when drunks hit them on traffic stops. One lost a leg. The other was recuperating for almost a year. Simple routinr traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things you do as a cop. :(

One would assume they did sufficient r&d before marketing them. But you know what they say about assuming. ;)

I was about to say you and I have had the extreme weather conditions, but then I remembered Florida, yea right, extreme cold conditions. In Kansas City, Missouri with zero degree weather down to 30 below it was common for light bars to freeze up where they would not come on, not go off, not rotate, not flash. Very temperamental and moody at times just like a ....:rolleyes:

I was about to say you and I have had the extreme weather conditions, but then I remembered Florida, yea right, extreme cold conditions. In Kansas City, Missouri with zero degree weather down to 30 below it was common for light bars to freeze up where they would not come on, not go off, not rotate, not flash. Very temperamental and moody at times just like a ....:rolleyes:

All we had was hurricanes. :D

I imagine the new LED stuff is less prone to malfunctioning. But I can see this system getting frozen up in winter. Unless maybe there's a de-icer on it. :D

All we had was hurricanes. :D

I imaginf the new LED stuff is les prone to malfunctioning. But I can see this system getting frozen up in winter. Unless maybe there's a de-icer on it. :D

Exactly, 31 degrees misting then ice coming down, freezing rain and down to 22 while it's up. It should freeze up in some position, especially if it is up for a long time. But why officer has a can of deicer in the trunk. Even at that sometimes that didn't work!;)

"...remembered Florida, yea right, extreme cold conditions."

In '82 it got down to 6. About half the town didn't make it to work that day.

Neener neener neener.

823113152_Raspberrycat.jpg.e5b542ab32288137f42b7eb928bf0f3c.jpg

You know at least one poor bastid cop is going to forget to put 'em down and pull into a garage.;)

Not a big fan of the new LED lights on emergency vehicles.  Approaching two or more PD cars at an accident scene I am blinded, and cannot make out any officers out of their vehicles.  There is such a thing as too much light.

LL

+100

In the rain the lights nowadays bring you to a stop trying to figure out where the hell the road actually is or which side of the road the emergency vehicle is on. Went way too far with the lights. Get stuck behind a snow plow and you get nauseous from the strobeing.

Archived