SASS Wire Forum

Comin at Cha 2020? Ironman category

SHOOTIN FOX

All the wire talk about shooting two categories at Comin at Cha got me to thinking. (Dangerous Thing) if I can talk Tbone into it, would anybody be interested in an Ironman category (Iron-women included). Rules are simple. Shoot your normal categories of choice, but you must select three categories and shoot the whole match; 36 stages. You still get category awards, but only the people that shoot all 36 stages are eligible. Total time for 36 stages over three days. No shoot throughs. You have to deal with the weather for all three days.  Anyone interested?

Fox

You should have to shoot a two hand Category, duelist and gunfighter. This will be a real Ironman and all around shooter. Everyone will shoot day one two handed, day two duelist and day three gunfighter. Maybe should do like outlaw and all shoot on the same posse. 

This could be a lot of fun and probably a few good laughs. I have never shot a match two handed

3 categories of suppository guns?  Couldn't possibly be considered an "Ironman" unless at least one category was Frontiersman!  :ph34r:  If you want a challenge, shoot C&B guns gunfighter style!  A couple of us challenged each other to shoot Frontiersman Gunfighter...  I believe 10 of us committed to doing it in 2020!

Oh, and shooting different styles, is asking for at least a procedural.  As switching back & forth will be challenging to keep from shooting "out of category."

It's really hard for me to shoot any way but Gunfighter. Once you get accustomed to drawing both revolvers at the same time, the draw one while holstering the other gets screwy.  :wacko:

I'm kind of curious.  While you're busy shooting 3 different categories, who is going to be covering your posse duties?  You won't have time to do much more than shoot, unload, and get back in line to shoot again. 

I don't mind doing my share of posse duties.   But I shouldn't be expected to do someone else's share so that they can shoot more.

My 2 cents, 

BS

I'm kind of curious.  While you're busy shooting 3 different categories, who is going to be covering your posse duties?  You won't have time to do much more than shoot, unload, and get back in line to shoot again. 

I don't mind doing my share of posse duties.   But I shouldn't be expected to do someone else's share so that they can shoot more.

My 2 cents, 

BS

There are three waves per day.  Three different posses, three different shooting categories, one category shot per posse, no impact on posse duties unless fatigue causes the shooter to stop pulling their weight.  I would be tired, but it would be fun.

There are three waves per day.  Three different posses, three different shooting categories, one category shot per posse, no impact on posse duties unless fatigue causes the shooter to stop pulling their weight.  I would be tired, but it would be fun.

Laid out that way, I could see it working for someone.   

BS

So what's the award if you win each of your three categories, plus the Ironman/Ironwoman category?  The bar bill?

Think it's kind of funny.

We make a TON of categories so we can have more winners so everybody feels good.

Then let everybody shoot more categories so the same folks win and less people have a

shot at winning.

Now don't get me wrong. Shooting a different category in each of the 3 shifts sounds like fun.

Maybe you have to shoot 3 different categories for the iron man. BUT. You are NOT eligible for those categories

wins except for Iron Man.

We make a TON of categories so we can have more winners so everybody feels good.

Then let everybody shoot more categories so the same folks win and less people have a

shot at winning.

Now don't get me wrong. Shooting a different category in each of the 3 shifts sounds like fun.

Maybe you have to shoot 3 different categories for the iron man. BUT. You are NOT eligible for those categories

Why? If you shoot three categories, you could win all three and overall. The ironman idea was for those that deal with the weather, posse duties, shooting 36 stages over three days. It is not an official category, just braggin rights till next time.  Or like last year. Shoot through on one day, take two categories and overall. That is why the exclusion of shoot throughs. It was intended as aa idea to recognize anyone who did the whole match. Not that easy of a task.

shot at winning.

How does having an Iron Man category result in less people having a shot at winning?  It's an additional category, so more awards, not fewer.

To clarify the idea. Shooter shoots on all three waves over three days. 36 stages. The shooter will still be doing posse duties and entered in their categories of choice. Therefore eligible to win in those categories and or overall. No different than shooting two categories under the current format.

Think of it as an accomplishment like a clean match award not a category, it may make more sense. This is still an idea and not official yet, so all comments will be considered. 

I am asking if anyone is interested to gauge support and estimate participation.

How does having an Iron Man category result in less people having a shot at winning?  It's an additional category, so more awards, not fewer.

Read Shootin' Fox answer eligible for category win in all 3 categories. Iron Man would just be an honorary award with no official status or trophy.

The only was I see this as being fair and equitable is you choose 3 categories, designate which category is the one you are shooting the match for. This would be the only award you would be up for along with overall. You have to shoot all three days, all three flights each day, to facilitate being able to work the posse each time. Your main category must be shot on  first each day. No practicing by shooting the other two categories previous to the main one.

Read Shootin' Fox answer eligible for category win in all 3 categories. Iron Man would just be an honorary award with no official status or trophy.

The only was I see this as being fair and equitable is you choose 3 categories, designate which category is the one you are shooting the match for. This would be the only award you would be up for along with overall. You have to shoot all three days, all three flights each day, to facilitate being able to work the posse each time. Your main category must be shot on  first each day. No practicing by shooting the other two categories previous to the main one.

Haven't people have been allowed to win awards in different categories since multiple entries have been allowed?  Didn't Slick win first place Wrangler and first place B Western just this year?   I don't see how this changes that.  I do agree that a shooter who chooses to do this should have to shoot all three flights so they can fulfill their posse duties.

Although it's unlikely I would win the three categories I'm looking at, if I did win or place in multiple categories I would expect to get awards for any categories I won or placed in.  I don't see how this is unfair, it's an option open to everyone.

The IM category is kind of a cool idea, but I've been interested in doing this for a while, just because I like to shoot, and 36 stages is better than 12. I would do it whether there was an IM award or not.

I understand your point, but I am not in favor of anyone winning more that one category in the main match. Second and third categories dilute the pool. I don't think that the other categories should even be scored along with the main match, just the designated official category.

I understand your point, but I am not in favor of anyone winning more that one category in the main match. Second and third categories dilute the pool. I don't think that the other categories should even be scored along with the main match, just the designated official category.

Feel the same way.

And even though I disagree with it. I still respect those that like it and do it.

Even my home club is offering  to let folks shoot 2 it at the annual next year.

And for that one match. I may end up doing it. Sr Duelist and Sr GFer. IF my back can hold out. 

I can be competitive in both those.  Maybe.

I have never shot Coming At Cha...

Always have wanted to.

I mentioned this 36 stage thing to my Daughter, Desert Scorpion and her immediate response was, "We have to go"

I like the idea.

But if I'm shooting three categories; I'm not doing it simply to waste ammo or effort - I'm doing it to see where I stack up in those categories.  And if that somehow (exceedingly doubtful) meant that after working posse duties for three full days and completing 36 stages - I managed to snag a placement in any or all of those categories - I dang sure want to be recognized in those categories.

Not in a stand alone iron man category.

Creeker you should go. 36 stages or not. It worth the trip even if it was 12 stages.

Even though I don't agree with shooting more than one category.

It does not take away from this match.

T-Bone and the gang put on one of the best matches/shows out there.

Just don't like to see this trend. Even my home club is now doing 2 categories.

Which I must say. Has had me wondering about shooting even that.

But it does look like it will be a trend. So go with the flow. Or put the guns back up.

Archived