SASS Wire Forum

Reaching the next level of speed?

Shooting Bull

Here it is 2:35 a.m. (EST) and I find myself laughing about old folks being in bed..... :lol:

But watching John Wick on T.V. gives me a good excuse to stay up.

My New Years resolution is to start doing some 'speed practice'..... ;)

GET READY RED KNEE,  HERE I COME!

..........Widder

My fencing coach recommended this:

https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Game-Tennis-Classic-Performance/dp/0679778314

The basic idea is to reach a level of non-thinking, where performance is a natural process, unencumbered by needing to think about what you must do to play well - a sort of sports zen.

Neat book, and not in any way limited to any certain sport or activity.

LL

The basic idea is to reach a level of non-thinking, where performance is a natural process, unencumbered by needing to think about what you must do to play well - a sort of sports zen.

LL

Oh yeah, very familiar with this concept.  But therein lies the rub, it's a concept but my analytical mind needs to completely understand a concept before I can let go and get my brain out of the way.  I'm trying to figure out how to improve my overall speed without my mind getting in the way.  

LL

I agree with this idea. If I had to think about shooting a stage it would take a lot longer. Some things are just preprogrammed at this point. 

BULL,

I doubt if this helps but I will atleast share it.

In high School, I ran track, along with other sports.

Anyhow, when the starting gun fired, I wasn't thinking about how to get to the 100 yard finish line.

I was already thinking about crossing that line even before the race started.   

Mentally, I was already there.

Likewise, in some of my videos, I've 'mentally' already knocked all the targets down before

the 'beep'.    

Try not to overthink every detail ALL at the same time.   On those little details you think you need,

work on them one at a time.   Then when you put them all together, ya gotta be thinking of

your finishing results even before you start.

I haven't read any of these 'mental' help books and therefore, can't comment on them.

But most of us have had a particular 'avenue' we traveled to get to that finish line and 

eventually, you will get some advice that works 'FOR YOU'.

Not every good piece of advice works for all of us.   Maybe some of mine will help, and some not.

Then another pard will share some advice that works and some might not.

Basically, ya gotta find that 'gut' instinct that works for you and work with it.   Practice hard and

practice on a regular basis.

We all want you to succeed and do well.   You can do it but you'll have to work for it.

You can't put a picture of the Road Runner under your pillow to dream about it

and expect to wake up the next morning having the ability to outrun the Wily Coyote!

..........Widder

my analytical mind needs to completely understand a concept 

I don’t think you should be trying to change your analytical nature.  Embrace it and use it.  Reducing times is tough enough without warring with your basic psychology.

I don’t think you should be trying to change your analytical nature.  Embrace it and use it.  Reducing times is tough enough without warring with your basic psychology.

I couldn’t agree more. I wouldn’t dream of trying to change my nature. I think maybe I’m not explaining my problem very well. 

I need to understand the process of going faster before I can relax and simply let it happen. If I don’t understand I’m not able to stop thinking/analyzing. 

I couldn’t agree more. I wouldn’t dream of trying to change my nature. I think maybe I’m not explaining my problem very well. 

I need to understand the process of going faster before I can relax and simply let it happen. If I don’t understand I’m not able to stop thinking/analyzing. 

We definitely need to spend some time at the range...

Archived