SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter rules

Black RZR

Can a gunfighter shoot duelist in same match or would it have to be double duliest?

Has to be double duelist. 

In other words if you shoot all revolver rounds with one hand on a given stage you have earned a P for shooting out of category.

Only Gunfighter style or Double Duelist style may be used. 

SHB p.6 - GF regs

Gunfighter style competitors must shoot FIVE rounds with each hand – regardless of how they are drawn from leather

SHB p.7 - GF regs

If you're asking if a Shooter registering for the same match in two different categories, yes. One entry can be gunfighter, the other duelist. But, If you're asking if a Shooter, signed up in the gunfighter category, and shoot gunfighter and duelist, no. Must shoot Double Duelist or Gunfighter style.

Gunfighter is the most fun in CAS.  :)

i have to ask... why would you shoot one stage different?  

i miss more shooting gunfighter, but i have more than 2x the fun.

You could shoot B Western and shoot every stage a different style, including duelist and double duelist. "Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style, at the shooters discretion."

Of course there are costume and rifle requirements.

I never thought that it meant you could change styles in the middle of a match, I thought it meant that you could shoot the whole match in any style you wanted.

I wear an 1875 USMC uniform so FC is out.  :angry:

Wolfy, a GF may shoot DD if a stage calls for split pistol, where the pistols are shot 5 rounds, interrupted with a move or a string of shotgun or rifle, and shot the last 5 pistol rounds are shot.

Safest way to split pistols.

Ok cool. We have a fun shoot for Xmas. I was gonna shoot gunfighter again . (2nd time) 

If you are shooting a match that allows multiple entries, it would be up to the MD regarding category selection.

Wolfy, a GF may shoot DD if a stage calls for split pistol, where the pistols are shot 5 rounds, interrupted with a move or a string of shotgun or rifle, and shot the last 5 pistol rounds are shot.

Safest way to split pistols.

A GF may shoot "Double Duelist-style" on any or all stages.

re: BW:

" B-Western pistol style:

B-Western shooters may change their pistol shooting style in the middle of the pistol string. This is already a rule; just a clarification. Example: Shooter can start shooting gunfighter for 5 rounds, place pistols on table to shoot a long gun and then shoot each gun in a traditional style"

EoT 2016 TG meeting

You could shoot B Western and shoot every stage a different style, including duelist and double duelist. "Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style, at the shooters discretion."

Of course there are costume and rifle requirements

Yes mam,  that is how I do it. Each pattern gives you a better choice of shooting style.

Scenario writers that force Gunfighters to shoot weird stages should be sent home!!! :angry:

On 12/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, Black RZR said:

Ok cool. We have a fun shoot for Xmas. I was gonna shoot gunfighter again . (2nd time) 

Ya know that’s a path to the Darkside, right? Especially when you’re livin’ in my home state... :ph34r:

On 12/28/2019 at 10:12 AM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Scenario writers that force Gunfighters to shoot weird stages should be sent home!!! :angry:

The same could be said for Gunfighters that force scenario writers to accommodate gunfighters at all times...

There's no need to make scenarii complicated. If a scenario accomodates gunfighters it probably isn't a "P" trap.

32 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

There's no need to make scenarii complicated. If a scenario accomodates gunfighters it probably isn't a "P" trap.

If you read the wire enough, you’d think that every stage that isn’t a Nevada sweep with both rifle and pistol would be a P trap. Fortunately, as the Phantom is fond of saying, “the wire ain’t sass”

Complicated stages do not appeal to me because my interest in CAS is focused on mythical gun battles. Many stages are written in ways that would not even approach a possible real life scenario. Those of us unlucky enough to have some actual knowledge of gun fighting know that seldom does one encounter anything not related to "stand and deliver". However, since well over 90% of SASS members are younger than me, perhaps the new fancy stages might appeal more to them. Since my day is long past, I encourage them to do what intrigues them the most and keeps them coming and bringing new members into our sport.

Archived