SASS Wire Forum

Frys Electronics, No Mas

Yul Lose

A few months ago I posted about the sad condition that I found a local Frys electronics store in locally. Yesterday I had to buy some lumber at my favorite hardwood store and it is right around the corner from the Frys that I posted about. When I finished up at the lumber yard I drove over to the Frys location and sure enough it is closed down, no cars in the lot and no lights in the store. My wife told me last night that a furniture store was moving into the old store.

If you go online and search there is nothing saying Fry's  has shut down but there are lots of links about Fry's  stores everywhere not restocking shelves. Here is a link that has reports from various customers about various stores that are essentially empty. The latest entry is 7 hours old.

https://www.thelayoff.com/t/YbiPZw8

One opinion

Why Fry’s Electronics hasn’t been restocking goods in multiple stores.

But the company says that isn’t true. Manuel Valerio, spokesman for Fry’s, said in an email:

We are in the process of re-ordering product and restocking shelves. More product in all stores in next few weeks. Fry’s is not liquidating. And products ordered online are now shipped to customers directly from their local stores.

Fry’s is not going out of business or closing any stores (except Palo Alto, California in January 2020, due to lease expired). No plans to close any other stores.

One opinion

Why Fry’s Electronics hasn’t been restocking goods in multiple stores.

But the company says that isn’t true. Manuel Valerio, spokesman for Fry’s, said in an email:

We are in the process of re-ordering product and restocking shelves. More product in all stores in next few weeks. Fry’s is not liquidating. And products ordered online are now shipped to customers directly from their local stores.

Fry’s is not going out of business or closing any stores (except Palo Alto, California in January 2020, due to lease expired). No plans to close any other stores.

That was back in September and much has changed since then, believe me the store in San Marcos, California is closed as tight as a bank vault. Their creditors cut them off because they hadn’t paid for inventory in months. If their local stores are closed they won’t be able to ship any products.

Nobody repairs anything these days, and kids building their own radios and stereo systems are no more.

Their customer base disappeared so the few of us who do fix things are not enough business to pay the light bill.

Duffield

Unfortunate for those of us that do the repairs on many of your home electronic systems can no longer go to Radio Shack or Frys and buy the component parts. Online and a three day wait is the order of the day.

I went to Fry's a few days ago to buy my daughter her favorite earbuds to replace the ones that died. They were out of that brand, and have very few others on the shelf, it was almost bare. So I went online and found them at 40% less, and free shipping with my Amazon Prime membership. When I wanted to build an electronic temp gauge for my lead melting  pot they didn't have anything suitable, so once again, went online and found it. That's the way of the world these days.

Unfortunate for those of us that do the repairs on many of your home electronic systems can no longer go to Radio Shack or Frys and buy the component parts. Online and a three day wait is the order of the day.

Unfortunate also is the dwindling number of techs that can diagnose and repair down to the component level, like resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc.. most techs that were available when we were getting out of the two-way radio repair business were board swappers and couldn’t diagnose a circuit problem if they had to. Some of the best techs I ever worked with or hired were trained by the military in the Vietnam era and shortly there after. 

Unfortunate also is the dwindling number of techs that can diagnose and repair down to the component level, like resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc.. most techs that were available when we were getting out of the two-way radio repair business were board swappers and couldn’t diagnose a circuit problem if they had to. Some of the best techs I ever worked with or hired were trained by the military in the Vietnam era and shortly there after. 

I now manage a rail shop where not one of my “techs” is a Technician. If they can’t fix it with a laptop they become blathering mouth breathers in seconds....

Archived