SASS Wire Forum

Floating firing pin issues?

Ridge

I’m new to this forum but not to single action firearms.  I’m not in SASS but really enjoy reading this forum.  
I have a question regarding the new safety system that, unfortunately, Uberti is forcing on its customers (though I have to admit, I understand their reasoning from a liability and large scale production standpoint.).  It’s been about a year since I’ve seen posts about this issue.  Has anyone had issues regarding either modifications to the existing safety system or just leaving it alone other than the regular smoothing and action jobs.  I presently have a Taylor stainless Runnin Iron with out the safety.  I’m asking because the R.I. Hammers w/o the floating firing pin are no longer available and if I ever needed to replace the hammer (due to a warn cam or ramp) I would be forced to replace the hammer and trigger with a new safety system.  I’m not happy about this at all and was wondering if anyone has had an action job with the safety system have you had any continued issues?

thsnks

Ridge Runner

The first click didn't work adequately anyway, Colt never fixed it, and now we glorify it. Is there anyone but me that thinks necessarily being forced to load only five is a bad thing? There is some hand wringing about the firing pin, but few if any reports of it being unreliable. I could happily get another El Patron with 4 clicks and fixed firing pin but have learned to regard the latest Ubertis as an improvement in the gun that is more than a century overdue. The safety regulation that presumably fostered this change in design makes perfect sense., rendering the gun more like idiot proof.

I have a Ruger Vaquero that has been worked on repeatedly and is getting fussy about decocking one more time. It also shoots high and left by at least 4 inches, while my El Patron is dead-on accurate to POA. In order to create a matched pair of 45s I am torn between another Uberti with its much better trigger or another Ruger to spend much of its early life going back and forth between either Ruger or a gunsmith. I will probably buy locally so I can handle the gun first before buying. If I find any old stock, I will probably favor that 4-click design to be like the other one I have. To start over, I would be okay with the new Ubertis.

Thank you.

one thing about this new system is to view it from a larger picture, it’s brilliant, in that it solves an age old problem with modern legal consequences (insert Ruger and the ugly warning on the barrel, and try buying a relatively new Ruger SA with out the transfer safety bar) with out sacrificing the overall “look.”  I do know that Uberti had been working on it for over a decade before releasing it. One of their reps told me it was a legal precaution that they did it in the first place.  Besides, I’m sure Ruger got hell when they went to the transfer safety bar back in the early 70’s anyway.

A buddy of mine I guide with has a Cimarron Doc Holiday Thunderer that has this safety system and is having it sent off to have some work done to it.  I’m hoping it’ll work well for him.

What’s your opinion about  Pietta’s SAA’s, Either an EMF Great Western 2 or a Cimarron Frontier?  These have the traditional hammer mounted firing pin and I’m pretty sure they’re not making any plans to force a safety issue unless you buy a Cabella’s or Traditions, which both have the Ruger style transfer safety bar.

The last pair of Uberti’s I got were short stroked in 357. The first year or a bit more ...no problems. Then last year at a state shoot,the safety firing pin decided in the middle of the match,to not want to come out to play anymore. I ended up tearing down the revolver and taking out the actuating rod coming up from the trigger through the hammer. Then I made a spacer out of a piece of drill bit shank. I now have a pretty much solid firing pin like the other revolver. Haven’t had anymore problems with it.

A competent gunsmith can drill out and replace a worn hammer cam.  I would not bother with trying to convert an old model 4-clicker into a new style 3-clicker. 

If you are looking at new complete guns and want safeties go with the Ruger, if you want a traditional 4-clicker check out Pietta or the black powder framed models Cimarron is selling.

What’s your opinion about  Pietta’s SAA’s, Either an EMF Great Western 2 or a Cimarron Frontier?  These have the traditional hammer mounted firing pin and I’m pretty sure they’re not making any plans to force a safety issue unless you buy a Cabella’s or Traditions, which both have the Ruger style transfer safety bar.

If I'm buying a Colt style revolver it'll be a Pietta from EMF; the GW2 Alchimistas and the Californians are good to go.

The Uberti retracting Firing pin is Anything but Brilliant... Its simply another example of Lawyer Induced Paranoia.

For a carry gun, Maybe.... but there are better solutions available.....

For the Game we Play, It's simply Ridiculous!

That's My Opinion anywho.

They're still pretty new, but I'm loving my Pietta Cimarron Pistoleros. I am seriously considering the EMF GW2 Alchimista for my next pair, I have big hands and think the larger grip would probably be awesome. I would not hesitate to purchase more Pietta revolvers at all.

Silver Sam,

yep, lawyers all over this.  I simply don’t understand why Uberti is forcing the issue and  not making the solid traditional hammers for their importers like Taylor’s and Cimarron.  At least continue to manufacture and sell the traditional hammers.  I can understand offering a modern safety six shooter but making it the only option moving forward is a mistake.  It would be interesting to compare percentage sales numbers for this particular type pistol between Pietta and Uberti and see if their numbers have dropped a bit.

The last pair of Uberti’s I got were short stroked in 357. The first year or a bit more ...no problems. Then last year at a state shoot,the safety firing pin decided in the middle of the match,to not want to come out to play anymore. I ended up tearing down the revolver and taking out the actuating rod coming up from the trigger through the hammer. Then I made a spacer out of a piece of drill bit shank. I now have a pretty much solid firing pin like the other revolver. Haven’t had anymore problems with it.

Yes, well I have a $1000 S&W 625PC that decided to go all light-strikes on me. It has a transfer bar. It hasn't been shot that much and never in competition conditions. Others speak of sending Rugers off to get half-cock loading and other custom work, as if only a custom gun x 3+ is worth engaging in this rather gamey sport.

Silver Sam,

yep, lawyers all over this.  I simply don’t understand why Uberti is forcing the issue and  not making the solid traditional hammers for their importers like Taylor’s and Cimarron.  At least continue to manufacture and sell the traditional hammers.  I can understand offering a modern safety six shooter but making it the only option moving forward is a mistake.  It would be interesting to compare percentage sales numbers for this particular type pistol between Pietta and Uberti and see if their numbers have dropped a bit.

They do still make a traditional hammer (BP frame only.  See above). 

As for the change, it is all about Uberti's liability insurance costs.  There HAVE been accidents (stupid people) and there HAVE been lawsuits.

Uberti probably took a look at how the Colt Cowboy was received..... That was a Mega-Flop if there ever was one.

Ruger builds a Really Good Cowboy Gun!! With a Transfer Bar... And What's the First Thing WE do to em????

Pull out the Transfer Bar and toss it in the circular file!

And yes, I know some Folks are Asking Big Bucks for Colt Cowboys nowadays........

But I'd betcha anyone that pays big $$$ for one will be PO'd when he finds out what he got.... Just Sayin'

I never use but two of the four clicks anyway.  Half cock for loading and unloading and removing the cylinder.  Load 5 and hammer down on empty is the way I load and carry a single action long before getting into CAS.  The third click is the locking bolt dropping so it's just something that is just part of the process.  Then full cock. So the loss of the first click is no big deal.  The adding of parts and complexity of the retracting firing pin is another matter.  I'm not ready to try it.  There are plenty of old model Uberti out there and there are Pietta with old 4 click design.

I seems very obvious that eventually all will go to some kind of safety, it’s only a matter of time. The uberti design is very easily defeated, and since most people seem to mod their guns anyway, I don’t see what the big deal is.

I’m also pretty sure most of their sales are not to sass members.

Well said. The design keeps the overall look, works well enough and they could be ahead of the curve when everyone else will have to probably go with the transfer safety bar and like you said, the retractable firing pin safety can be defeated relatively easily.

Get what you like.  As a new shooter any of the discussed guns are going to be more than adequate for the first couple of years.  Just get to cowboyin' and keep a good attitude  Even if a gun breaks and you lose a match, you only lose if you don't have a good time.

Anything can be fixed.  Hammers can be swapped, altered, repaired, modified etc.

The 3 click ubertis have been out a long while. I was shooting them nearly 20 years ago.  Removing the firing pin mechanism and fitting a fixed firing pin was a simple enough job back then.  I doubt the new system is much different in that respect.

Yeah it’s the way technology is moving, and as Doc Flimshaw said, “... SASS members aren’t their (Ubertis’) only customers.”  Protecting their overall interest and avoid potential lawsuits by devising a mechanical solution that will frustrate many but meet their overall needs is a price, I guess they are willing to pay.  Like I said earlier, if the Colt replica industry shifts to a transfer bar system (with the domestic exceptions of Colt and Standard Manufacturing) they could potentially have the only affordable SAA that will have the hammer mounted firing pin.  
I also have to ask, what was wrong with the old hammer block safety that Uberti use to use? Other than being a little unsightly, it gave you the sacred 4 click and the “safety” notch was actually stronger than the Colt traditional method.  Just a thought.  I hope Uberti has people following these posts.

Archived