SASS Wire Forum

My just for fun fantasy guns for a Main Match

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I would love to try this someday...

Rifle:  Winchester 92 with 17.5" barrel and John Wayne loop lever

Pistol:  Chiappa Mare's Leg

Pistol:  AWA Lightning Bolt  [basically a Mare's Leg type pistol based on the Colt Lightning instead of a lever gun]

Shotgun:  Chiappa 87 Mare's Leg shotgun.

The only one I have at the moment is the rifle.  [.44 Magnum] I can't get the pistols cuz they are not Mass Compliant.  And even if they were, the Lightning Bolt is rarer than hens teeth.  Even Lassiter had never heard of it.   But I may get the shotgun just for fun.

A complete "fantasy" battery, one that would likely insure I finish dead last, but I really think it would be as fun as all get out.

Anyone care to agree, or suggest something else that's weirder?

I know where two of the lightning pistols are.  One is even for sale, if you have very deep pockets.    My father has the other and that one he will not sell. 

I know where two of the lightning pistols are.  One is even for sale, if you have very deep pockets.    My father has the other and that one he will not sell. 

I would be interested yes.   The problem is that I live in Massachusetts.   And neither the Mares Leg nor the Lightning Bolt is a "Mass Compliant" pistol, and therefore can not be purchased here.    

As near as I can figure, the only possible way I could get them is to take a rifle and do the conversion, going through the NFA '34 rules to own a short barreled rifle.  Which, surprisingly, Massachusetts has no laws special laws about.   Other than following Federal ones, of course.   But, while I might be willing to take on the 200 dollar registration and all of the other hoops, I don't like the idea of having to get permission to cross state lines with them.  Here is New England, being so restricted is a great inconvenience.

Don't you just love living here in MA.......Was in a gun shop in Middletown RI a couple days ago. They has a Colt 1851 Richard Mason conversion (Uberti) for $299......Nope, I live in Assachusetts.....No certified for sale here!

I have over a dozen friends that have moved to MO, TN, MT, etc over the past few years................All report a MUCH better way of life and a MUCH higher standard of living.....Need to think about this!

Left Illinois to go in the military... not goin back to that corrupt, overly-controlled state either.

Then again, historically "gun-friendly" states like Virginia and Kentucky are proposing some pretty ridiculous anti-2A laws so...

Get em... learn to use em...KEEP EM!

For the sake of owning a $300 converted C&B pistol, you would pull up stakes and move?

Believe me, I feel your pain.  I've wanted to own a number of guns that we cannot buy here.  But there are many that we can, and it really hasn't restricted my shooting in any meaningful way.  Actually, I'm more frustrated with the attitude than with the actual limitations.  The arrogance of our AG regarding her "assault weapons" ban really twists my tail.  The underlying assumption among MA Democrat politicians is that the ordinary people cannot be trusted; the reality is precisely the reverse; it's the politician's word that cannot be trusted.

And there are  no guarantees that any state you might move to will not adopt a hare-brained gun control scheme next year.  The longer I ponder it, the more in favor I am of Federal firearm regulation, preempting state laws.  I know its risky, but at least the Supreme Court is at the top of the Federal appeal process, not the individual state courts.

LL

If I could use my Webley DA revolvers in a real sass match by shooting them single action. I shoot them DA at my clubs monthly matches often along with Colts and Smiths. The DA Colts or Smiths don’t single action very well but the Webleys are pretty handy. 

5B6F9881-4B28-4BB6-8653-11B4C96607A7.jpeg

Every now and then I break out my Broom Handle Mauser or and my Luger for a local match no one seems to mind.

I've assembled my "fantasy set" but I need to shoot a match with it: Winchester 92 (mine is in 32-20), a pair of real Colt sixguns, and a Greener shotgun. Why these? Because the Duke used Winchester 92s, Colts and Greeners.

Every now and then I break out my Broom Handle Mauser or and my Luger for a local match no one seems to mind.

Amen brother. The majority of shooters don’t care. I wish the powers that be in sass would realize that some of these old antique guns fall datewise in the date range that they require.  Whereas the ‘.22’ magazine style tube loaded Henry rifles don’t but they are a good sponsor. You do the math. If you want authenticity join NCOWS or become a reenactor.  But in all honesty, fun stuff no matter what we shoot.

I don't think the powers to be care either, so long as its local.  The old guard "powers" have moved on and the newer administration have a little better sense of humor. 

I'm curious - how is a Colt 1851 Richard Mason conversion pistol NOT legal in that state? 

That is beyond crazy.

Don't look for sanity in our gun regs - it's not there.

Basically, we are limited to  guns appearing on "The List", a list of certain pistols and revolvers that the State has determined to be not "defective" and available for purchase.  To get on that list, the manufacturer must submit samples of each variation to a certified testing facuility, and the guns must pass a variety of physical tests, including a drop test that is deadly for revolvers with no transfer bars or other method of preventing ADs upon impact on the hammer from a drop.  The guns must also include certain design features.  

No Colt revolvers are on The List; my understanding is that Colt has decided not to get involved in the testing and submission routine.  While most Ruger Vaqueros have been submitted and have passed, many of the desireable variations (like the Montado and the Davidson's and Talo distributor exclusives) have not, and cannot be purchased here.  Similarly, certain S&W and Ruger 1911s have been approved, but not most Colts and none (I believe) of the higher end "custom" makers.

There are some exceptions; if you can find a Colt (or other non-List gun) that was sold in MA before the effective date of the regs (10/21/1998), you're good to go; the regs do not apply, and it need not appear on The List. 

The non-converted 1851 is available; as a percussion revolver, it is not a "firearm" under US or MA law.  But the conversion changes that, and renders it subject to the testing and design requirements.

I hope that I have all that right; I haven't looked at the wording of the regs today....:P

LL

I would love to try this someday...

Rifle:  Winchester 92 with 17.5" barrel and John Wayne loop lever

Pistol:  Chiappa Mare's Leg

Pistol:  AWA Lightning Bolt  [basically a Mare's Leg type pistol based on the Colt Lightning instead of a lever gun]

Shotgun:  Chiappa 87 Mare's Leg shotgun.

The only one I have at the moment is the rifle.  [.44 Magnum] I can't get the pistols cuz they are not Mass Compliant.  And even if they were, the Lightning Bolt is rarer than hens teeth.  Even Lassiter had never heard of it.   But I may get the shotgun just for fun.

A complete "fantasy" battery, one that would likely insure I finish dead last, but I really think it would be as fun as all get out.

Anyone care to agree, or suggest something else that's weirder?

As usual, I love your ideas. Would be really cool to see.

Or maybe shoot them both gunfighter?

I've assembled my "fantasy set" but I need to shoot a match with it: Winchester 92 (mine is in 32-20), a pair of real Colt sixguns, and a Greener shotgun. Why these? Because the Duke used Winchester 92s, Colts and Greeners.

Those are great combos, or so I have been told

582216711_EPHolsters2.thumb.jpg.696850762c503a5cec4e720fa271c3b8.jpg380978340_92lever2.thumb.jpg.4405e8f8f20f3afc78494deba9fc98cd.jpg2138150842_JW4.jpg.cf84cde31156bb0d808297897b9deafb.jpgDSC_0991_edited-1.thumb.jpg.3ea4cd5dc1cf3c3098ffcfc14989e022.jpg

There are some exceptions; if you can find a Colt (or other non-List gun) that was sold in MA before the effective date of the regs (10/21/1998), you're good to go; the regs do not apply, and it need not appear on The List. 

The non-converted 1851 is available; as a percussion revolver, it is not a "firearm" under US or MA law.  But the conversion changes that, and renders it subject to the testing and design requirements.

As a point of additional information, let's say you are in New Hampshire and you find a "not on the list" pistol made in 1937.   That may be well before the effective date, but you can't buy it and import it into the state.   Any not on the list gun has to have been made, and registered, in the state prior to that date, and you have to be able to prove it.   The best way is to have the state registration form you filled out when you purchased it at a dealer.   But I know for a fact that I and many others did not normally make the effort to hold on to those things prior to this new rule coming in to play.

But, there is still a loop hole for that gun made in 1937.   It's a C&R eligible gun.   Therefore, if you have a C&R, you can purchase, import, register and even sell it, but only to other C&R holders.   It's common to see various guns at local shops with the words, "C&R Only" on the tags.

Until recently, the laws here were ambiguous as to if C&R's were exempt.   In a rare fit of sanity, the Legislature actually passed a law that said, yes, they are.   Which is why I don't understand why the CMP won't sell 1911's to C&R holders in Massachusetts.  They will do so for folks in California.   But let that go...

As far as the 1851 goes, you can always buy the C&B gun and then get a conversion cylinder for it.   So far, there's no rule against that.   But yeah, getting a factory conversion is out of the question.

I find it amusing how the SAA and the 1911 are deemed to be "unsafe" designs, as they are probably the 2 most battle proven ones in history.

Oh well.

Archived