SASS Wire Forum

Outrun the gun? What’s that?

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

I outrun my guns all the time in practice.   

I shoot. Put my guns down. Run down range and repaint. Run back and my guns are so slow they haven't even moved yet. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

If I run my ‘73 hard enough, I can actually begin opening the lever before the pressure has left the barrel and blow the primers out of the cases. This is where the mechanical limits of the gun as it is currently built exist (imo). If the links were designed differently and had more dwell in the lock up position, this wouldn’t happen. It is a speed induced “failure”. 

I have seen that as well. Primers backing out as the bolt retracts. Also the lever can start to kick back as the links break as the round is fired.  I've had them back out enough to pop the case off the extractor.

Sam from what I have seen a heavier load makes this much worse and even bulges the cases as they are out of the chamber while the pressure is still high. I wanted to shoot a heavier rifle load than I do but the lighter loads seem more forgiving. 

On 12/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, evil dogooder said:

I outrun my guns all the time in practice.   

I shoot. Put my guns down. Run down range and repaint. Run back and my guns are so slow they haven't even moved yet. 

I thought you were going to say you ran downrange then had to wait for the bullets to hit. 

4 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I thought you were going to say you ran downrange then had to wait for the bullets to hit. 

No but I have been known to beat the bullets and move the targets so I actually hit them

It was once fairly common to out run our guns, especially rifles.  That was before gunsmiths figured out how to best tune them.  Win 92's and Marlins were notorious for this.  If you got split times below 0.4, you would often see problems.  I got a little lower by loading longer bullets - that was with both 92's and Marlin 94's..  The tuned 73's were much better.  Then they figured out how to make the Marlins keep up with the 73's again.

Now only a few normally outrun the guns as Junky and Smokestack mentioned.

Archived