SASS Wire Forum

What reloading manual to buy?

Go West

I have the Lee 1st and 2nd editions, Loadbooks and Lyman's 47th edition. What newer manual do you recommend to add/supplement what I have? I currently reload .380 acp, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 mag., .44 Special, .44 mag., .45 acp, .45 Schofield and .45 Colt. I do not reload rifle calibers. I like having a manual in my hands vs. looking things up online (although I have done this). What I have do not address newer powders or lightweight bullets such as those by ARX, etc. Thanks in advance.

I have the Lee 1st and 2nd editions, Loadbooks and Lyman's 47th edition. What newer manual do you recommend to add/supplement what I have? I currently reload .380 acp, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 mag., .44 Special, .44 mag., .45 acp, .45 Schofield and .45 Colt. I do not reload rifle calibers. I like having a manual in my hands vs. looking things up online (although I have done this). What I have do not address newer powders or lightweight bullets such as those by ARX, etc. Thanks in advance.

Do any of them address "newer powders or lightweight bullets such as those by ARX, etc."? Your best resource is to get used to online load data by powder companies. Save the bookmarks for quick, easy access. That said, I get most of what I need for handguns from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I have the other Lyman book too but rarely open it.

Lee's manuals are my favorites and go to. Yep, have a variety. Lee includes .45 Auto Rim, which in most cases is a reduced power .45 ACP, which is handy for working up loads for .45 CS. Also, I always get Hodgdon's Annual Reloading Manual...it is in the magazine rack in stores around end of December thru January. Buy it in February or March for about 1/2 price from MidwayUSA. Always check the SASS Wire regularly, good info is exchanged.

RRR

Alliant will may you a free copy of the reloading manual.  Visit their website to order one.  I find powder manufacturer's manuals are a good way to keep up with new powders and loads.  Hard copy is nice when the internet is down as it often is in my neighborhood.

BUY 'EM ALL!  And keep 'em updated.  There's information in the 49th & 50th Editions that wasn't in the 47th...  For sure you need the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, the 4th Ed is the latest I believe.  And while I have the 3rd & 4th, when the 5th Edition comes out, I'll be getting it also.  Powders change and new data needs to be used when changing batches.

Reloading doesn't save you any money, it just means you can shoot more on the same budget...  I was taught that whenever you changed from one can of powder to another, work up to your load all over again.  I use a quite a bit of Reloader 7, and apparently, since I bought my last 16 lbs of it, it's formulation has changed.  As my previously most accurate load in the .30-30 is now ½ a grain over the max recommended.  And while my most accurate load is right snappy, it was under the max by that same ½ grain when I worked up to it.  So, the point?   When my current supply of that powder runs out, I'll assume I getting some of the new formulation and work up to a new "most accurate" load with that bullet weight & powder.

Reloading is not a static thing.  As powders, bullets lubes and other componentry evolves, we, as reloaders must adapt and align ourselves to the new realities.  10 years ago, powder coating bullets was in the very experimental stages... in the last five it's become almost mainstream.  Don't ever fall into the complacency trap.  Just because you've settled on one particular load for a rifle or handgun, doesn't mean that you can or even should stop... experimenting.  

It looks like I will definitely get the Lyman 50th manual. I may try the Hodgdon magazine formatted manual. Curious about the Western Powders one.

Go West - N one published manual will provide you with all the different bullet weights for the cartridges you want to reload.

Book mark this link and you'll all available data for each cartridge ... http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Then get a 3 ring binder and print out what you want to use

"For sure you need the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook "       + A Big Red 1

For cowboy shooting, this is the premier manual - it covers any pistol cartridge and enough weights of cast bullets per cartridge to let you figure out a safe load for any available bullet if you know how to extrapolate a little.

The annual booklets from Hodgdon and Alliant will fill in most of the brand new powders.

Good luck, GJ

I have four or five different books .

Most or just a little different on formula's .

I refer to my Lee 2nd addition book most of the time .

Rooster 

Archived