SASS Wire Forum

Suggestions for WBAS holster & mag pouches?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Our Lincoln Area Regulators group is going to start holding WBAS this coming season.

I'd like your suggestions for a R/H 1911A1 holster, belt and mag pouches.

I'm not looking for a highly tooled fancy rig.  I might even just go with a 1916-type US holster and tuck the flap under the belt.

What works best for you?

Much obliged in advance.

Merry Christmas,

Mustang

I threw together some odds & ends a few years ago, and came up with this. If I'm going military, I use a web belt, flap holster & repro canvas mag pouches.

A $300 rig ain't gonna make me a $300 shooter.

(edit) I've gone to a different holster since this was taken, but it's still nothing more than a spare single action holster cut down, wet down and formed to a 1911.

WildBunchRig.jpg.JPG

WBholster.jpg

One point to remember is you NEVER reholster in WB.  The gun is made safe and staged when done firing it.   So holster is less important than in SASS..    The military holster is common so are Vaquero holsters.   I used  a couple of web belt mag pouches with a couple of loose 45's (spacers) in the bottom to allow the mag to ride a little higher.     GW

I use my first CAS rig.  Holster was made to fit a Ruger Vaquero. My 1911 fits nicely.

This right here.  Most new Wild Bunch shooters come from cowboy ranks.  We never reholster the 1911 on the clock in WBAS so any legal holster that will retain the pistol until you draw it is fine.

A GI 1911 cavalry holster with the leg strap tie down or a standard 1911 holster worn higher and 3 Mills mag pouches work for me. Let the movie be your guide. And I shoot my 1911 duelist.

F8148E2F-1A4A-40CD-B338-5463E3CB4051.jpeg

A lot of the top shooters use rigs from Mernickle. Like his  CAS rigs hey are hard to beat, but to just try out WBAS many colt clone holsters will work but I really like the Mernickle magazine pouches. They are custom built to the WBAS rule spec.

There are a lot of really good holster makers out there, Mernickle has a proven design and a lot of problems engineered out along with being great sponsors of the sport.

Archived