SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Remember Sixgun Territory? It's Back

Cypress Sun

Well, only for two days. When I was a kid, we used to go to Sixgun Territory here in Florida. Looks like it may be back for a few days in February. Would be nice to get some pards together and visit.

https://www.kirbyfarm.com/six-gun-territory-wild-west-weekend

My hubby, Rowdy Bill, remembers going there several times with his son John when John was very young. They both loved the saloon girls. LOL. I remember going once when I was about 10 years old. It was the first time my family (then living in Richmond, VA) went on a “big” vacation. I remember that Tony Dow, the older brother on “Leave It To Beaver,” was the guest the day I was there, and I got my picture taken with him. Fond memories. 

My grandparents spent their winters in Ocala and I spent many a day in Six-Gun Territory.

Loved that place. 

For those who did not get to go - The front of Six Gun Territory was a train station.

The inside of the station was adorned with 50's and 60's movie and TV cowboy memorabilia  

My mom and dad would purchase my admission ticket - and then go abut their day.

And with that ticket purchase; an unsupervised little fat kid, equipped with cheap cowboy hat, plastic holsters and chrome plated Hubley cap guns, would be taken on a short train ride to the old west town.

A town replete with saloons, gunfights, jail breaks and bank robberies.

Can-Can girls and all varieties of lawmen and outlaws to walk around with and speak too.

4 or 5 different gunfight events during the day and that fat little kid was in heaven.

Additionally the park housed an assortment of carnival rides, (an assortment that would pale compared to a good grocery store parking lot fair), but rides none the less.

A few dollars in my pockets fed me and ensured I was going home with an assortment of tacky souvenirs that I valued more than gold.

A "Wanted" poster with an excessive bounty, printed with my name and a line drawing of the bad hombre I imagined myself to be.

The actors never failed to give me a "Howdy" or even invite the kid with the guns to play along running down the bad guys.

I would stay until the very last train of the day. 

Sunburned, windblown and dirty.

My treasures in bags or folded up in my pockets. 

Tummy questionable from too much sugar and too many rides.

I spent a fair amount of time in Southern Florida.

Went to Key West, Disney World and Cape Canaveral.

Walked along the beach in Daytona and sat in the grandstands at Daytona.

I saw panther farms, alligators wrestled and floated in glass bottom boats.

Even went to the Webster flea market a few times.

But nothing ever hit me and stayed with me like Six Gun Territory.

Back when the world made sense - right and wrong were as obvious as the color of your hat and after the shots rang out - everyone involved got up, took a bow and did it all over again in an hour.

What I would give to be that kid again - if just for a day.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=six+gun+territory+florida&form=EDGTCT&qs=SC&cvid=537d45ed51a84ee5a785400334b72659&refig=bd254e0ee75a40b9a78296c2d27075d1&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0&PC=LCTS

• 2 weeks later...

That's right, we will be doing another Six Gun Territory Wild West Weekend and Reunion on Feb. 1 & 2, 2020 at the Kirby Family Farm in Williston, FL. That's about 20 miles west of Ocala off of Hwy 27.

If you are interested in participating, you can contact me, Shadow Caster. I'm responsible for the overall safety as well as registering all of the weapon carrying participants. We did our first event here in September of 2015 with about 50 people. Now, we are running over 150. We have about 15 of the original gunfighters doing the same shows they did in the 60's and 70's. We also have a few of the original Can-Can girls who show up to help with the atmosphere.

There will be gunfights in town, train robberies, even outlaws in the woods. Help is always invited, but you will have to register. You can contact me through the wire, or you can go to my Facebook page, Shadow Riders.

For more information, go to Six Gun Territory (original) on Facebook, or my Shadow Riders group. Some of us will be in St. Pete on Jan. 11 doing a show at an RV park. Come see us there.

Cliff

I'm showing it as Robert's Mobile Home and RV Resort at 3390 Gandy Blvd. Come see us. Look forward to meeting you. We'll have handouts and such for our Feb. 1 & 2 Six Gun Show.

Cliff

19 minutes ago, Shadowcaster said:

I'm showing it as Robert's Mobile Home and RV Resort at 3390 Gandy Blvd. Come see us. Look forward to meeting you. We'll have handouts and such for our Feb. 1 & 2 Six Gun Show.

Cliff

Probably won't be able to make it as that is the day for the SASS match at the Antelope Club in St. Pete/Pinellas Park. Our match isn't too far from the location that you'll be at, maybe 3 or 4 miles away. Go to Action Shooting Network for more info if ya'll want to stop by. You could probably recruit plenty of guests for the SGT show in February. What time does the show at the MHP start? Our match usually gets under way at about 9:30 am.

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/ajr/

Archived