SASS Wire Forum

Is this illegal?

Alpo

Or is it one of those gray areas, that takes advantage of people's stupidity?

In the mail today I get an envelope says MAKE MONEY MAILING LETTERS.

There's three addresses at the bottom of the letter. I'm supposed to send $500 to the first name. That's the woman that sent me this letter. She would be my sponsor. I sent $250 to the second name. That's her sponsor - the one that sent her the letter. And I send $250 to the third name. That's the "business".

Cash. The thousand dollars is cash. The "business" will send me a list of suckers potential employees. I mail them this identical letter, except I put my name and address as number one, and move the number one on my letter down to number two. The number two on my letter gets thrown away.

So I mail out all these letters. And hopefully some sucker thinks it's a wonderful idea and sends me $500 in cash. Then I will become his number two, and every sucker he gets to send him $500, also sends me 250.

It sure seems like this oughta be illegal.

Should I toss it, or turn it into the post office and let them handle it?

What y'all think?

Pyramid scheme.

It collapses when the bottom layer gets too big, and recruiting of new members too burdensome to maintain a profitable flow.  There are no products or services sold; it is based upon greed and a hope of making money by doing/making nothing of real value.  The early "investors" will get their returns, as they had many fewer lower level investors to recruit; they are long gone before the well dries up.

Ponzi schemes (named for a Boston investment scammer) are similar.  They usually promise uninformed investors high rates of return, in short periods of time.  In actuality, there is no investment; the leader is just using cash flow from additional "investments" to pay big "returns", making it looks like there is a tremendous rate of return.  In a short amount of time, the scheme collapses when there are insufficient funds from new investments to continue to pay the promised returns.  Total scam, also illegal.

Yes, they are illegal; they are fraudulent investment schemes, and outlawed under Federal and State laws.

LL

Illegal, and although it may make you rich, you'll end up buried in mail.

image.png.6e179a7406f2592c8d3348752ea63805.png

I just reported it on the Post Office's website. They said for me to hang on to it in case they needed more information.

I’m surprised you actually got a response, but then again there’s always a need for a govt agency to actually show that it did something to justify its budget increases.

I just reported it on the Post Office's website. They said for me to hang on to it in case they needed more information.

I'm surprised they didn't want you to mail it to them (along with $500) but they probably wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail.

Two things:

#1:   send me the $500 first.

#2:   then you can report it to the FBI, who will blame it on a prominent political figure OR the Pope.

Congress will investigate and have FKCGG testify.   100 years from now, Cypress Sun will lose this

pension benefits and all will be forgotten.

..........Widder

Email from the post office this morning.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.  The information you provided has been entered into our national Fraud Complaint System.  Your reference number is xxxxxxxxxx.  If we need more information, you will be contacted directly.  Please hold on to any original documents related to your complaint.
Please note that Postal Inspectors do not have the authority to ensure that your losses are refunded.
We may share the information you provided with other agencies when there is a possible violation within their jurisdiction.
In the future, if you have complaints about mail fraud or mail theft, you can visit our website, http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov, to file a complaint online.

I am surprised that the letter did not include the warning that if you did not respond that a flock of hungry chipmunkx will attack you and devour your "private parts".  From the date of this notice all your future children will be born naked.

Archived