SASS Wire Forum

Firing pin removal/replacement

Alpo

Two parter.

How difficult is it to replace the firing pin on an M60? TV show, and the illegal buyers of the illegal machine guns are all upset because the guns have no firing pins. WE'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF.

How difficult is it to remove the firing pin from a 1892 Winchester? Can it be done without disassembling the gun? Also a TV show. Bad guy has the drop on the good guy, gives the good guy's gun to bad guy number 2, and tells him to take the firing pin out. Then they could give the good guy back his gun, and everything would look fine, but he was actually unarmed. #2 opened the lever, reached in through the top and took the firing pin out in about 5 seconds. :huh::lol: While I know it would not be that easy, I don't know how difficult it would be, having never had one apart.

M60, not long if you have the tools  I have only done it once so I really don’t remember it being all that hard. 

1892? Yes, you need to disassemble the gun and it’s not easy to get the firing pin out without the proper tools. You need screwdrivers to get the gun disassembled then punches and a hammer to remove the pin in the bolt to get the firing pin out. 
If you know what you’re doing, maybe 10-15 minutes to disassemble then reassemble the gun to get the firing pin out. 

1892? First time? Without knowing the trick to getting it back together? Several hours. :lol: After you know the trick, maybe 20-30 minutes the next time. With a bit of practice, I suppose it could be done in 10 minutes.

1892? First time? Without knowing the trick to getting it back together? Several hours. :lol: After you know the trick, maybe 20-30 minutes the next time. With a bit of practice, I suppose it could be done in 10 minutes.

Johnson knows whereof he speaks on that "first time" scenario... 'specially without a schematic or instructions.  :rolleyes:

Johnson knows whereof he speaks on that "first time" scenario... 'specially without a schematic or instructions.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, well, that 10-15 minutes would be if someone had done it a few times, that’s for sure. :D

I had forgotten the first time I took mine apart didn’t take too long...getting it back together was a different story. :rolleyes:

I do believe there was some cussing involved...

I heard someone tell a friend of mine how to disassemble a 92 Winchester. Really just casually listening not paying too much attention. I took mine apart thoroughly cleaned it and put it back together. Really not too much problems but I did find out that if using a spent cartridge case when reassembling it was easier.

I also took said friends 92 apart an cleaned his too. I still believe he is a bit gun shy about taking it apart. 

Archived