SASS Wire Forum

December 16, 1944

I had an Uncle in that little fracas.

Me too! My Uncle Jim, got a Bronze star for dragging a wounded soldier to safety.

Wonder what happened on that day? 

The Bosch came out of the woodwork, that is what! 

Got the "Bulge" on us...at least temporarily. :o  At least until Georgie got his troops do a left wheel and charge up at least 100 clicks to relieve Bastogne.  Worst part, according to those who were there was having no winter clothing, and it was the worst winter in Europe in decades!  Not many vets of that battle left these days. :(  :FlagAm:

Got the "Bulge" on us...at least temporarily. :o  At least until Georgie got his troops do a left wheel and charge up at least 100 clicks to relieve Bastogne.  Worst part, according to those who were there was having no winter clothing, and it was the worst winter in Europe in decades!  Not many vets of that battle left these days. :(  :FlagAm:

Sadly, not many left at all. Time, like always, is the winner. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had to dig out my Uncle's DD214. I knew he was at the Bulge and he earned a Purple Heart. I did not know in about 11 months, he earned 4 Bronze stars.

My uncle never talked about his Bronze Star, we found out about it when my aunt, his wife, died and at the cemetery we saw the Bronze Star insignia on the headstone next to my uncle's name. (He was still alive) We asked him after about it and he was shy and reluctant to talk about it. He said he did what any decent human being would have done. He dragged a wounded soldier to safety. The Greatest Generation!:FlagAm:

Archived