SASS Wire Forum

Trouble with my 73

Rusty Cuffs

Had some trouble with my Uberti 73 not staying cocked during a match this weekend. The hammer would follow the bolt down sometimes. After the stage at the unloading table I cocked the hammer by hand and if I did it slowly it would stay cocked. If I did it fast it would not. Also when it was cocked the trigger pull was VERY light. Any ideas would be helpful. I did finish the match with a friends rifle.

Thanks Rusty Cuffs

Rifle is basically new. Had a well know smith work on it. RACE Ready. After 3 trips back I gave up on him and had another smith work on it. He said the former smith had filed on a lot of stuff he said was not Necessary! Guess I’ll pull it apart and take a look this evening.

I had a smith tell me once that the hardening on the Italian guns is rather thin.  Therefore you need to be very careful on what you remove to polish a action, otherwise the soft metal will wear out prematurely.  Just sharing what i've been told.

I would feel that the first smith owes you a major refund.  You certainly gave him plenty of opportunity to correct his poor work.  

At this point, putting in a new hammer and upper trigger (what is usually considered the sear in most guns) and adjusting the full cock notch to have the correct angle and full engagement for a safe, crisp trigger pull may be necessary.   Check the mainspring AND the trigger return spring to make sure those have not been lightened too much, also.  Light springs there can allow the sear tip to bounce out of the full cock notch while running the gun fast.  

Fire control parts can be rehardened even by small shops, using "chemical plus heat" case hardening techniques.

Good luck, GJ

I was just happy to get the rifle back from the first gunsmith. A friend gave him his SKB to work on and the smith sold it to someone else. When ask where his SXS was the smith said what SXS! He did get an SKB back not his but as good.

Goody I tried the increased tension to no avail. That mean it didn’t work either.LOL

Next time I get to Cleburn I’ll bring cookie!

OK, was cheap fix if it worked. As long as you'll be replacing parts get in touch with T-Bone about a straight trigger. I've heard they're the bomb!

(903) 314-8164

PLUS ONE to Garrison Joe.  Somebody owes you some money back.  CAS rifles are not bench rest target rifles.  Light triggers are not a really good idea.  A light trigger is a really bad idea if the "smith" doesn't know what he/she are doing.  I'd suggest cutting your losses.  Replace the hammer and the upper half of the trigger.  I'd also look at the trigger return spring really close.  If it shows grinder marks, replace it as well.

THEN:  Find a different Gunplumber.

I contacted gunsmith #2. He said he never touched the hammer, and I believe him. I had him replace the short stroke kit gs#1 put in and got the rifle to where it would feed. GS#2 had some suggestions for me to look at. He said if need be he will send me new parts. Guess I’ll find out this evening when I get home. As far as money back, it was a lesson well  paid for, and I will not forget!

Hi Rusty, If it's not against the rules, I think the gunsmith should be named. Good Luck, regards, Mike

To  Johnson County Mike , sure enough , it is against the rules.  Might want to read the header at top of forums page.

Too bad we do not have a separate place for relaying such information.

Rex :D

To  Johnson County Mike , sure enough , it is against the rules.  Might want to read the header at top of forums page.

Too bad we do not have a separate place for relaying such information.

Rex :D

We do its called a phone or a PM call to a Pard who is looking for work Before hand .

And a Phone call or a PM to a Pard who NOT to send work too .

I had a Problem with a Big Named Cowboy Gun Smith .

( who everyone seems to rave about )

I was Very unhappy with the work I got back .

In Fact I had to send him my guns three times to get them  right .

I just wont us them again .

When or if I get asked on the phone or in a PM .

I share my information with Inquiring minds  .

Hi Rusty, If it's not against the rules, I think the gunsmith should be named. Good Luck, regards, Mike

Shouldn't there be a trial first to hear both sides of the story before the hanging?

Mr.Duncan I have not named the smith and will not. If you read one of my earlier post I said other shooters have had good outcomes with this fellow. So I know he can do good work. I was just the lucky one. I hold no Ill will toward the gentleman. 
I only asked for a little advice as to what to look for to solve my problem. For the most part all information posted has given me direction as to what to look for. Again at no time did I suggest anyone get a rope. 
Thanks Rusty

Hey Rusty, when you find the problem, could you post a pic or two? I ain't sure about anyone else, but I always like to see what problems and fixes are. Sometimes I'm even smart enough to remember things when I get in trouble. 

Check the lever screw to ensure that it is tight.  Had one new rifle where the screw would back out when working the lever. After the screw backed out, it changed the geometry to where it would not lock up. 

Tightened it up and all was well.

Polished the screw and added a bit of clear nail polish to the threads and didn't have either issue.

There are a number of items that can cause this.  Check to see if the hammer is cocking all the way, it should move past the sear catch and rock forward coming to rest.  Check if dirt landed on the hammer behind the upper sear.  This can cause the sear to not seat all the way against the hammer and fall off.   Remove side plates and links then run a brush on the hammer and sear and recheck. .  If it is still falling off remove the trigger assembly and see if it is still falling when out of the receiver.  Making sure not to change the main spring screw settings, unhook the hammer from the spring.  Then tighten the large main spring screw counting the amount of turns it took to get it snug.  Loosen the screw and swing the main spring out of the way and check to make sure the spring is not rubbing on the frame causing the trigger to bind.  Check the small screw that is holding the trigger/sear spring to insure it is tight.  If all is good you probably have a bad hammer latch and it can be reworked and reheat-treated, it would not be necessary to send the entire rifle into a smith only the assembly.  

Check the trigger return spring to be sure it isn't broken or cracked partially through at the inflection point.  (You need to remove it to check it properly).  A fractured or deformed spring will cause exactly what you are describing, because upon cocking, the trigger/sear has insufficient travel to reliably engage the notch in the hammer face.  It will often act differently with the gun held in different positions, such as muzzle up, v. down.   That could explain the intermittancy of the problem you are experiencing.  

I recently had this same problem, and when I removed the spring, I found it cracked on one side.  

Rusty, your inbox in full.

Billy I Think I cleared out some space.LOL

I was not able to break the 73 down last night. To many things going on this time of year. Thank you to all for your input. That is what I love about this Sport.

Rusty

Does gunsmith number 1 have an FFL? If he does, and he should, how did he sell a customers gun that should be in his gunsmith book and not his A&D book? If his paperwork is that sloppy he is asking for trouble.

Wife had the problem at few years ago at the Tenn St match, The rifle was close to new. Sent the trigger/hammer assembly back, & he either fixed or replaced the seer. He also remarked he couldn't imagine how the rifle had left his shop like that.

It was pretty exhilarating for Ophelia when the rifle was firing itself. Only problem was that it didn't also aim itself well when it happened.

Billy I Think I cleared out some space.LOL

I was not able to break the 73 down last night. To many things going on this time of year. Thank you to all for your input. That is what I love about this Sport.

Rusty

Still shows to need some messages deleted from inbox.

Archived