SASS Wire Forum

Com'n At Cha...Steam Punk?

Rancho Roy

I think this years Com'n At Cha's theme is Steam Punk?

Bet I could make a great Steam Punk cart out of this!

75653333_178983886577265_3903546830163542016_n.jpg

You're gonna give Rolan Kraps nightmares with that one ....  :o :lol:

Cool looking piece of machinery, but personally, I have a real hard time linking "Steam Punk" to Cowboy Action Shooting.  It's my own problem I guess,  I'm just not much of a fad guy.

No need to respond, just stating one guy's opinion.   But I think the SP version of Com'n At Cha is probably one match I will skip.   (I'm sure nobody's going to miss me.) 

I could see Festus and Ruth Dragging that thing behind them . With that goofy looks as if Festus knew what it was lol

Screenshot_20191219-064623_Photos.jpg

What’s steampunk cowboy? Steam horses? You got me on that one.

Here you go Ed.

Steampunk COWBOY/COWGIRL  

“Steampunk” is defined as “Victorian Science Fiction”.  The Steampunk genre is influenced by period writers such as Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and H.G. Wells, and modern authors such as H.P. Lovecraft.  Shooters are encouraged to combine elements of early Steam driven / mechanical / industrial design into their costuming and to their gear.  “Westernpunk” extends the metaphor to the old west period as exemplified by literature and media such as “The Wild, Wild West”.

Any Main Match revolver.  Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, except Gunfighter.  

Must use any SASS–legal main match rifle. 

Must use any SASS–legal main match shotgun. 

Must use any SASS–legal ammunition. 

Steampunk users are encouraged to add Steampunk “flair” to their main match guns as long as the enhancements do not alter function of safety of the firearms.   These would include adding gears, Cerakote Firearm coatings (http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com), leather enhancements with fantasy elements such as carving, buckles, gauges, switches.  Firearms enhancements do not count as satisfying costuming requirements.

Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below which are Steampunk Themed.  All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies. 

·        Goggles (welding or aviation) worn as Eye protection or as an accessory.

·        Any Victorian head gear constructed of Felt, Straw, cloth or leather.  Including but not limited to: Pith helmets, Military caps, Deer Stalkers, and leather flight helmets.

·        Pocket watch with Chain, Pendant or Pin watches.

·        Gauntlets / Cuffs

·        Backpacks, shoulder pouches, Bandoleers (Shotgun and / or Cartridge)

·        Vest, or waistcoat embellished in steampunk motif.

·        Scarf or tie.

·        Knife or tools (screw knives do NOT qualify), tools would include wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers.  Knife or tools all count as one element.  As an example, a shooter could not wear gauntlets with 5 screwdrivers and be considered as satisfying the requirements.

·        Spats, gaiters or Botas.

·        Period gas masks or plague doctor masks.

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape.  Men may wear kilts or other period regional garb.

Footwear:  Victorian shoes and Boots are required and must be of traditional design.  “Engineer Boots” with deep lugs are permitted.

Been thinking.  Don't know who the bands will be, but seems to me that at least two songs should be a given (to steam punk): Safety Dance (Men Without Hats) and Whip It (Devo).  Would appreciate alternate suggestions.  Blackwater?  T-Bone?

Been thinking.  Don't know who the bands will be, but seems to me that at least two songs should be a given (to steam punk): Safety Dance (Men Without Hats) and Whip It (Devo).  Would appreciate alternate suggestions.  Blackwater?  T-Bone?

Any "Techno" band would be acceptable.........Devo certainly!

Check out Steam Powered Giraffe.

https://steampoweredgiraffe.com/

Rex Marksley

Brass Goggles: 

Archived