SASS Wire Forum

Are cats antifunners?

My tow cats, Kitty and Max, go right inside when I shoot. They even recognize my guns. Do you think that I might have anti gun traitors in my own home? I know that my boxer dogs hated guns. What is a pet lover to do? :wacko:

An antifunner cat is a feline antigunner typed by an arthritic Grand Patron as are tow (two) cats. :angry: You kids in your 60s, 70s and early 80s think you know it all!!!!   :D

All the farm cats here love the sound of shotgun fire. It generally means a free meal as I'm thinning the pigeons/pest control.    Yes they do know the difference between rifle/ pistol vs shotgun

The two black cats are a little creepy though.   They watch anytime im shooting on my range.  It's almost like they are trying to find out how to work a gun. 

All the farm cats here love the sound of shotgun fire. It generally means a free meal as I'm thinning the pigeons/pest control. 

if the pigeons are roosting in your barns or silos go in at night and catch them. plenty of people will buy them for up to $5 a piece. I know a few hunters that love to get them to train their bird dogs. 

My two cats look longingly out the window at the deer and elk in my yard. I am sure they believe in their hearts that they could catch and eat them.    :PI think John Wayne once opined, "everyone should know their limitations".

if the pigeons are roosting in your barns or silos go in at night and catch them. plenty of people will buy them for up to $5 a piece. I know a few hunters that love to get them to train their bird dogs. 

I can attest to this pigeon eradication method's effectiveness.  When I was in 6-12th grade my mother would take us kids to her cousin's ranch in north eastern CA in August.  At that time the barn loft was stacked to within 6 feet of the peak of the roof.  So, a kid could reach the hoist track.  My cousin & I would spend a few nights sleeping on the stack so we could catch pigeons. 

Son and daughter-in-law have to big akita dowgs.  Son is an avid hunter and shooter and has a good many guns.  When one comes out, the two akita do a burnout to go hide.

I've had old mut dowgs that are just the opposite when they see someone with a gun.  They are ready to go hunting. 

A spectator brought a German shorthaired pointer to one of our matches.  That dog was scandalized -- all those shotguns and nary a bird falling anywhere.

Cats usually are soooooooooooo not antifun but they do not like loud noises and for damned sure are not going to retrieve.

Our local range is owned (at least he thinks he owes it) by a cat named Bandit. He mainly supervises the office and the hundred yard rifle range. I've never even seen him flinch even when folks are shooting rifles that make the ground shake. God help anyone that ever hurts that cat. He has two thousand friends that own guns and know how to shoot, and I'm one of them. Bandit is a hundred percent pro-gun. BTW, in Florida you have a right to shoot someone to protect your property. I've always been glad of that, because if I saw anyone hurting one of my animals I don't think I could stop myself from ending the threat to them.

Son and daughter-in-law have to big akita dowgs.  Son is an avid hunter and shooter and has a good many guns.  When one comes out, the two akita do a burnout to go hide.

I've had old mut dowgs that are just the opposite when they see someone with a gun.  They are ready to go hunting. 

I have had a couple of digs who hated thunder and fire works.  Didn't like shooting either unless daddy was doing the shooting, then it was alright.

When I lived in Kentucky my neighbor had a bird dog of some sort that liked to ride but did not like the gunfire. My neighbor would open the car door and the dog would get excited and hop in. The neighbor would tell it we were going shooting but the dog would just be too excited to go for a ride. The dog would be fine until we parked and got out the guns. Then he would sit in the back seat and shiver like he was scared. When we were done and had the guns back in the trunk the dog was fine. My neighbor got the dog from someone that hadn't treated or taught the dog right for a bird dog and was too old to teach him better.

A spectator brought a German shorthaired pointer to one of our matches.  That dog was scandalized -- all those shotguns and nary a bird falling anywhere.

They do seem to take it personally when that happens, don't they?

My two cats look longingly out the window at the deer and elk in my yard. I am sure they believe in their hearts that they could catch and eat them.    :PI think John Wayne once opined, "everyone should know their limitations".

That would have been Clint Eastwood...see my Signature. :D

BTW, in Florida you have a right to shoot someone to protect your property.

You might want to talk to a lawyer about that, before you start shooting somebody kicking your cat.

You can shoot a dog that attacking your cat (or dog or horse or goat or other domestic animal).

But you can't shoot a person.

You might want to talk to a lawyer about that, before you start shooting somebody kicking your cat.

You can shoot a dog that attacking your cat (or dog or horse or goat or other domestic animal).

But you can't shoot a person.

That's true. You can't use deadly force. However under Florida law, “defense of property” is an affirmative defense that justifies the use of non-deadly force to protect a person's land, home, vehicle, or other personal property. Florida does not recognize a right to use deadly force in the protection of property interests alone. Of course that is a very slippery slope which I would hope to never go down.

They do seem to take it personally when that happens, don't they?

My archery club rented a pheasant shooting reserve for an afternoon. They furnished a guide with a dog.  We were hunting our way back to the clubhouse when the poor dog pointed again.  We all gathered closely but when the bird flushed and everyone shot the results were the same.  The dog broke and went on a retrieve.  The bird was uninjured.  We were almost back to the clubhouse when the dog returned and dropped a live pheasant in front of the guide.

Archived