SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1878 single action .38 CF revolver Reduced price

Irontree

1878 Marlin single action pocket revolver in caliber .38 S&W CF.

Action and timing is very good to fine. 

The bore around 7 to 8 on a 10 point scale.  Certainly stabilizes a 148 to 158gr lead bullet sized @ .359 just fine. 

85% finish left and the grips would rate near fine.

Could be used as a main match gun or side match. 

Pre-1899 so it can go directly to you without FFL if you don't have any state issues with doing that.

$300 shipped to your door.

marlin 38 2.jpg

marlin 38 3.jpg

Marlin .38 .jpg

marlin 38 4.jpg

marlin 38 5.jpg

Hello Percy,

I have and do in this gun and all of my pre-1898's for over 46 years without a single incident. 

One of the advantages of the Marlin revolvers is that they are built much stouter than the S&W top breaks were.  By around 20%.

I use the same loads in this gun that I have used in my S&W top breaks for many years to include my Baby Russians & I've had no problems with them either.

But I handload and I'm extremely careful about my loading habits.

It is a personal decision and I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me. 

I fire a 125gr bullet over 2.5grs of Accurate #2 from a .38 S&W Starline case to plink cans or paper. (Mold from Accurate Custom Molds)

I've fired a 150gr LRN (Accurate Molds) & 148gr HBWC over 2.3 of Accurate #2 from a Starline case every few months in it for over 5 years, which should approximate the factory load.

Both shot well with no noted ill effects. 

The Remington factory .38 S&W 148 grn LRN that I've checked mic @ .359 and give similar accuracy to my handloads in this gun.

A little less accuracy in most of my S&W's compared to the 150grn cast bullet load.

Archived