SASS Wire Forum

Unmarked 747

I flew into and out of Miami yesterday on American.  As we taxied to the ramp on arrival at Terminal D, we passed what I beleive was a 747 - two passenger decks with windows on two levels; two monsterous jet engines under each wing.  Biggest non-military plane I've seen.

What caught my eye was the total absence of any markings - no tail number, no carrier identification, no colors, no flags, nada.  All white fuselage and wings.  Nothing around it or near it to suggest whether use was military or civilian.

Anybody in the Sunshine State know the background on this plane?

LL

It’s the giant black helicopter of the fixed wing world. Probably a UN spy plane stealing information from Americans from the air to be used when men in light blue berets march in and take over the nation...

It’s either that or a new plane being delivered somewhere. Could go either way...:P:D

747's have four engines so it wasn't a 747. Could have been a 777 from the description. I have seen giant aircraft at Tampa International before but they all had four engines. The missing tail number is strange to say the least.

747's have four engines so it wasn't a 747. Could have been a 777 from the description. I have seen giant aircraft at Tampa International before but they all had four engines. The missing tail number is strange to say the least.

Said

two monsterous jet engines under each wing

My grandad was foreman of a painting hangar at Miami for years. I saw plenty of naked planes.

When planes are leaving the factory for the first time, they will always be in their livery colors.  It's a really big deal in the aerospace world.  I would agree with the re-paint theory. 

"Miami International Airport (MIA) is the major airport serving South Florida and is located eighth miles from Downtown Miami. The airport serves more than 80 airlines and is also the hub for several airlines including American Airlines, Executive Airlines, UPS Airlines and FedEx Express."

I would guess the plane had been sold and is being re-painted for the new customer.

Image #2.

LL

Yup 747. I’ve only flown on one once. Huge!

The A380 is too new of an airplane to have been sold or in rebuild/overhaul so it would be painted only white. I doubt that are 100 of them flying. There are literally 1000's of 747's all over the world,  some are almost 50 years old. Northrop, the company I worked at for 22 years (1978-2000) built every body panel for every 747 built. I would bet it was a major refit. overhaul or update.

Yup 747. I’ve only flown on one once. Huge!

I was on an Embraer 170 when we taxied past; less than 100 feet long with a wingspan of 85 feet.  The 747 is 231 feet long with a 195 foot wingspan.  The difference was startling.  Like passing an aircraft carrier in a small sailboat.

LL

Acording to the OP it had four engines.

Archived