SASS Wire Forum

Making paper cartridges - European innovations.

Warden Callaway

I bumbled upon some interesting clever ideas to speed up paper cartridge making.  

This one uses a hollow former mandrel as a funnel.  Looks like a production improvement.

This one has a carousel to charge and drop ball.  All he needs is a ratchet index powered by a water wheel. 

I thought my way worked pretty good, but these guys have it down to a science!

I wonder how the guy with the homemade machine glues the ball to the cartridge. Maybe just wipes glue around the edge? That's the messiest part of the process.

Does the paper cartridge need to be pierced before shooting or will the cap burn hot enough to make it fire?? I have shot cap and ball but not the cartridges.

I've never had a paper cartridge not ignite. And I've never had to pierce the cartridge. 

I've never had a paper cartridge not ignite. And I've never had to pierce the cartridge. 

I hope you're knocking on wood as you type that...

The mandrel tool thingy you make is pretty sweet, I like it a lot. 

Of the two I like the method in the first video the best, no gluing of the balls is a lot less messy.

I hope you're knocking on wood as you type that...

The mandrel tool thingy you make is pretty sweet, I like it a lot. 

Of the two I like the method in the first video the best, no gluing of the balls is a lot less messy.

Right TC! I probably jinxed myself now! But probably not. I have a theory about that, but it's only a theory. The only way to prove it would be with X-ray vision. I think the paper cartridge rips open in the chamber when it gets rammed in. Like I said, I've never had one fail to ignite.

And I agree about the twisted top method being easier to make cartridges. But for me, it always leaves a wad of paper on top of the ball in the chamber. So I endure the sticky fingers method. 

I'm glad you like the former!

It's really a small investment in supplies and tools to make basic paper cartridges.   I probably spent $5 and change for TrueWrap papers and glue.  I made a block with tapered hole and mandrel stick in less than 30 minutes.  I took some pictures as I went along. It's still in the proof of concept stage. 

Here is a slide show of my pictures.

I started with a block of scrap eastern red cedar. It is some 1-1/4" thick. Could have been much thinner.  

I just started drilling a 7/16" hole just to get a reference large end hole size.  

Then drilled through with 3/8" drill.

Used a round rasp to make the taper. 

Cut off a section of dowel and turned it down with rasp to fit the cone.  

Wonder where he bought that tool?

I did some looking on eBay and didn't come up with anything like it.  Maybe homemade?  Or made on the side in a machine shop?

There are several other videos out there with simular two-piece design and powder through hole.  

Archived