SASS Wire Forum

Shot my first match today

Jed Cooper

Just wanted to thank everyone at Powder Creek today. I shot my first match today. Everyone was very welcoming and great to talk to. At least I could blame my shaking on the cold weather today even though part of it was nerves.  I came in dead last but I had a great time. I had no expectations of any speed, I just wanted to be safe and shoot the stages in the proper order. Look forward to many more fun outings. 

Now my wish list is growing and I need to start getting geared up. 

I had a member (Sneaky) who was gracious enough to let me use his guns, share his cart, provided me with ammo and helped guide me along! Just can’t believe how friendly and helpful everyone was. I think this sport is just what I need. 

Jed

Welcome to the addiction...  A lot of very fine...very nice people in this sport. And I know several down there that are fine people. 

Have a blast.  Nice to get the 1st one out of the way.  Welcome, hope to see you on the range.

I've only shot 2 matches so far, got dead last in both of them but I had so much fun and all my pards were helpful and supportive. Can't wait to shoot my 3rd match, and now I have all my guns and gear. Is this sport addictive? Hell yea!!!

You might have picked a better group to start with (Powder Creek) but I don't know who it would be.

Welcome to the fire.  Sit a spell and have some coffee.

Powder Creek folks are some of the best of the best as you know now! Welcome to the addiction!   SCJ

PCC folks are great! Lots of fun to be had there.

Don't worry about where you "place". Progress in that arena will eventually happen. Don't be too self conscious right now about anything other than being safe and having fun. Everything else will fall into place.

Look forward to meeting you someday!

:D

What's important is you got started and had a great time. The rest will follow. You will soon be like the rest of us and, without your even being aware of it, you will have been shooting with SASS for decades. Our game persists because you will be helping new shooters just like the pards at your club are helping you. WELCOME!!!!!   :D

Congrats, welcome, it’s a great shooting sport full of great folks. The neat thing about cas is you can do the historical aspect, tv or film or be a gamer. Get to use a wide variety of firearms and hang with interesting shooters who will truly help their competition. Have fun and be safe.

Good to hear you made it out Jed, welcome aboard!  Sneaky is one the fastest (and nicest) triggers out there, so keep an eye on him and you'll be moving up the leader board in no time!  

Take your time on that shopping list.  Most shooters out there will let you have a test drive of their guns.  With all the options available, better to go slow, decide what barrel length, caliber, hammer style, rifle, shotgun, and leather setup, you like.  Better to buy once and get the best you can afford.  Once you choose a caliber, then you start on the reloading endeavor!

Good luck and look forward to meeting you at the range!

In many threads on the Wire you will read the same advice offered by Two Shoots.  It is sound.  

Take your time and try different guns, rigs, shooting styles and categories.  Find out what you like.  In the long run it will save you money - lots of money.

I was out of town for your first match, but both my wife and I are happy to let you borrow our toys and you can try them.

Welcome pard.

I myself am only three matches in and can't wait for the next.

And yeah, it's an addiction, I'm already contemplating getting backup shooters for my 357s.

Maybe in 45 Colt.....:rolleyes:

Air Force saw fit to send me to Kansas back in '92. Can't say much for the terrain or weather but some of the best folks I've ever met!

You're in now... the addiction has started. Welcome!

Glad you made it out to the Powder Creek match!  My wife, Fannie Kicker, and I weren't able to make the match Saturday.  We hope to be there in a couple of weeks, prior to our return to Arizona for the rest of the winter.  Looking forward to meeting and shooting with you.  As many before have said, don't buy anything yet.  I've got guns and ammo, smokeless and BP, you are welcome to try.  Get a feel for as many possibilities as you can before laying out any cash on your firearms and leather.  We were all once where you are now.  Most of us were anxious to get our own gear as soon as possible.  Most of us didn't listen to the advice you are receiving here and ended up with gear that we later traded, sold, or is still tucked away in a safe not being used.  Take your time.

Oh, and as Flinthills Dawg warned you, watch out for that Seaky fella, he's, well.....Sneaky!:P  And a great pard!

Titus

Oklahoma Charlie always said it didn't take much to fit in, but you knew right away when somebody didn't.  Apparently, you're fitting in well.  What we do here is welcome new shooters, help all we can, and form life-long friendships.  Oh yeah, and we shoot, too.

My Cowboy shooter Christmas list: 

51' conv. 

58' conv

2 - 60' conv pistols

Henry 60' rifle

Trapdoor 

Pair of BP pistols

Browning sxs

Rolling block 45-70

Couple new rigs

More clothes to shoot CC

Have all my guns worked over professionally .....the list keeps going

I bought a pistol for myself last year Xmas. My wife didn't know. I opened it in front of kids and her and just said santa brought it for me....she couldn't say anything about it LOL

I bought a pistol for myself last year Xmas. My wife didn't know. I opened it in front of kids and her and just said santa brought it for me....she couldn't say anything about it LOL

My wife would find the proper (to her) words later!

Archived