SASS Wire Forum

Ruger SASS set lower hammers in general

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

So I am looking at getting a new set of Ruger Vaquero pistols. I shot 2 handed in the 49er category last year. I was thinking about going  to 45s and shoot them in the 49er for a while before going to either duelist or morelikely, classic cowboy.   My question is can you shoot comfortably with 2 hands and the lowered hammers, or once you go to lower hammers, is that almost exclusively a 1 handed approach?  The other question is do anyone, many folks shoot in a o e handed category with the higher more origial hammers? 

Thanks

Buscuit

I see lots of folks shooting two handed with Super Blackhawk hammers. A compromise might be to install Blackhawk hammers like on the Talo "short spur" models.

Hammers.jpg

As posted above. Lots of two handed shooters like the Super Blackhawk hammers.

And just my opinion. That if you are going to switch and maybe sometimes shoot both two and one handed.

They are about as good as you can get for that.

I like Bisley best for duelist and GFer. BUT. Do not like them at all for two handed shooting.

Think the SBH is a real good hammer for both. Low enough for one handed but not to low for two handed.

If I was going to shoot both at times. That's what I would have. 

Only YOU can decide what feels best to YOU.  Ask somebody if you can handle theirs.  They are not like girl friends, cowboys are more than happy to show off their firearms and let you fondle them     This means go to a shoot before you buy.            GW

I have them on my OMV's and shoot them duelist and like them very much...but I mostly shoot frontiersman with ROA's and shoot those with the original hammers...I have gotten use to shooting both. That said I  will be getting the hammers lowered on the capguns over the winter.

Sgt H

I sold off my old model Vaqueros and bought the NMV SASS model, once I tried them.

Shooting Duelist, I found it easier to reach the hammer and cock etc.

It didn't help my times, but I found the smaller frame/grip more pleasant to manipulate, although I have reduced my charges  a little.

My wife has a new set of SASS Vaqueros.
Mine are old model Bisleys with the same hammers.

She likes the plow handles with her smaller hands, I much prefer the Bisleys, even with my small hands.

I have SASS NMV's with the low hammers.  When shooting two handed, I hook my strong hand pinky finger under the end of the grip frame to keep the gun higher in my hand.  If I don't do this, I have a tendency to short stroke the hammers because they hit the web of my strong hand.  The low hammers are an easy reach shooting single handed though.

I have some Uberti Stallions in 38 special & had Johnny Meadows cut and weld SBH hammers onto them and they are fantastic two handed or one handed & will be adding them onto my wife's old model Ruger 3 screw revolvers in the near future. 

Archived