SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a smith to replace the front sight on a Colt

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I recently purchased a 1905 SAA that was rebuilt by Christie’s with later colt parts (see picture). It appears that the barrel was not indexed so the front sight was straight up.  Rather than fitting the barrel properly, someone bent and filed the front sight to get it to shoot to aim.  I can fit the barrel and I could install a new sight, but I don’t have the equipment to reblue it.  It might be easier to just send it off to have it done rather than fool with it.  Has anyone had this done, by whom, and what did it cost?  

The gun was blued by Christie’s, so I am thinking of sending the frame off to be color case hardened while I have it apart.  The gun belonged to my great friend Carl Ontis (Pawnee Bill), who was well known in the early days of SASS.  I would like to give it the attention it deserves.  

F9A36D6D-3D5B-47E8-90E2-1262ECC658C6.jpeg

If the smith is good he can keep cold towels around the sight, heat the old one to pop it off

wait a spell and repeat the process silver soldering new sight on

had one done that way and the bbl did not need a reblue

good luck

in case you ask the smith was Jim Hoag who os no longer

Alan Harton of Single Action Service in Houston, Texas is one of the premier Colt and Ruger restoration experts in the USA.  713-772-8314

I had Turnbull do the finish on the engraved SAA I did a while back (see below) and it was quite expensive.  They did no metal work at all, just color case and carbona blue, then assemble the gun, which totaled more than $1,500. Worth it for that gun, not so much for this one.  I would be happy to fix the sight, color case the frame, and put it back together as a shooter.  It just looks odd all blue and the sight is Irritating.  

52D19A44-5573-4167-AC60-75745976918C.jpeg

Archived