SASS Wire Forum

Donated a vehicle

I had a vehicle sitting around and wanted to get rid of it. I was given the names of some charities. I selected Soldier’s Angels. Basically the charity contacts a vehicle auction who arrange to have the car towed. The primary thing the Rav needed was a battery, probably some brake work.

received the following.

Soldiers’ Angels provides aid and comfort to the men and women of the United States Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, their families, and a growing veteran population.
Soldiers' Angels
Tax ID #: 20-0583415 2700 NE Loop 410 Suite 310
San Antonio, TX 78217
If you itemize expenses for federal income tax reporting, you may write off the market value of this charitable donation up to $500 without any further documentation. Your donated vehicle was sold for $975.00. In order to deduct the sale price of the vehicle you donated, you need to provide us with your Social Security number so that we can mail you a 1098c form via US mail. You may contact us at 1-210- 996-2186. Please consult a tax professional if you have any questions.
Soldiers’ Angels confirms that we did not provide any cash, goods or services to you in consideration of this gift.

1994 RAV4 170,000 miles, standard transmission.

I donated a bass boat to Wounded Warrior Homes a few years ago. They auctioned it for $7600, if I remember correctly. $7300 went directly to the charity. $300 was used for paperwork and admin. Another charity towed it from Oregon to Sacramento for free. Worked out great!

Archived