SASS Wire Forum

Christmas as I've never seen it anywhere else.

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

As I sit here typing this I can hear dozens of police and fire sirens and horns going south down Glassford Hill Road and turning west on US 69 A.

There are units from the highway patrol, several cities and towns, the Yavapai County Sheriff's department, Yavapai regional fire departments, US Forest Service and probably others.  I'm guessing close to 75 vehicles plus many civilians following along and honking their horns.

Is it an invasion, maybe a gigantic natural disaster, some "dignitary" politicking around, a plague?

Nope, it's Christmas With A Cop.  Needy kids from all over the quad cities area meet at the Prescott valley Town Hall and are driven wit full lights and siren, barreling down the highway at maybe fifteen miles an hour to go shopping at several participating stores.

Want to hear some great stories about these kids?  A girl about seven years old couldn't find what she wanted.  One of the fire fighters asked what she was looking for.  She didn't want anything for herself, she wanted to buy her Daddy a cordless power drill so he could go do more work and not feel "useless" any more.

A boy got some toys for his brother who had  terminal illness and "might not ever see another Christmas, so he wanted this one to be special.

Two brothers combined their stash and bought a sweater for an elderly neighbor lady and they threw in some games that she could play.  

There was a kid asking for a step stool so she could get up high enough to help her mom with a new baby, lipsticks for big sisters, games just right for little kids who are fostered by a couple who under-estimated what it would take to raise kids,  binoculars so Grandpa can watch the birds and deer in the field next to his house, tires for a bike belonging to a new boy in town "so he could get to  school and come play with us" and candy, cookies, and cake for those too poor to get them anywhere else for Christmas

Ever seen a 240 pound grizzly old cop with tears running down his cheeks, or a Forest Service fire fighter having little kids lining up to hug him, or an RN bawl her eyes out because some child remembered her from the hospital and wanted to thank her for "helping Daddy when he was so sick".

No avarice, no petty emotional crap from some do-gooder who wants their picture in the paper, no politics, hate, or racial problems her.  No, siree Bob, none of that, just pure Christmas as I have always envisioned it.

All of y'all have a great Christmas and a marvelous New Year...every year..... and God bless.

Heard the annual police car convoy with about 100 needy kids from Albuquerque go past my neighborhood today at 12:05 PM.  They also do a great job getting them clothes, toys, books, etc. at an area Walmart.

Both those kids and those cops will be having a better Christmas this year!

Good wishes, GJ

Archived