SASS Wire Forum

Best Wad for Winchester AA

Renegade Ripley

I am loading Winchester AA  7/8 oz.  7 1/2 shot  with Red dot.

what wad works best for you and who sales them.

Thanks  Renegade Ripley

I believe the grey wads the previous posters mentioned have part number CB-0178-12.  I mostly buy mine from a big box sporting goods retailer or add a bag to an online order.   They work well in AA or Remington hulls.

I believe the grey wads the previous posters mentioned have part number CB-0178-12.  I mostly buy mine from a big box sporting goods retailer or add a bag to an online order.   They work well in AA or Remington hulls.

Just got 4 bags for $10.99 each from Midway. Free shipping if you get the order up over $49.

I found with the new 2 pc AA hulls I got the best results using a wad for one shot weight bigger than I was using.  Ie use the 1 oz wad (waa12sl) for 7/8 load and the 1 1/8 wad (waa12) for 1 oz.  claybuster clone wads or downrange clone worked well and were cheaper.  

for gun club hulls I would use the 7/8 with 7/8 as they are one pc hulls. 

using a wad for one shot size bigger

This is NOT a clear way to describe what you are doing.  You are using a wad that has 1/8 ounce more rated capacity than the shot weight you will put in it.

Shot has it's own very different sizing system.  Some folks could confuse what you are doing with loading #7 shot instead of #7.5 shot.

But to answer the OP, yes, the Claybuster CB- 0178-12 (gray) wad is excellent for light loads in tapered-wall hulls (Win AA and most Remington hulls).   

As light as most folks load cowboy shotshells, you can substitute wads fairly safely - something that could be rather dangerous with full power hunting shells.  Pick the wad that lets you crimp the mouth well, so it compares to a factory load.  With our non-demanding targets, almost any wad that fits will give a "good enough" pattern for the game.

Good luck, GJ

I like the CB0175-12, 3/4 oz pink wads with #9 shot. You get more loads out of a 25# bag, less felt recoil [a lighter load and maybe more collapse in the wad], you get a freebie every six loads, and using #9 shot more pellets in your shell.

Remember, cas or wb shotgun loads are not hunting or self defense loads. You don’t need a large amount of lead or excessive powder to wiggle a close cas sg resetting target or break a close clay. You might want to carry a few field loads in your cart on the odd chance that the match director sets up a knock down thats giving folks problems. I did run into issues with my cut down M12 not shooting as tight as my other cut bbl cas pumps so i slightly increased the powder bushing [398 t0 408] and shimmed the next larger shot bushing [7/8] to slightly increase the shot but kept the same pink wad. It’s doing fine now. 

I am loading Winchester AA  7/8 oz.  7 1/2 shot  with Red dot.

what wad works best for you and who sales them.

Thanks  Renegade Ripley

I use whatever the published (fully tested) data says, noting that many wads have equivalent numbers from other vendors. So far, my wads have come from BPI Products. My Win AA HS are loaded with WinAA12L, which is 7/8-1 oz capable. I am able to get textbook crimps with no nitro wads or shot cards. I use #8 chilled shot.

Baltimore Ed:
I like the CB0175-12, 3/4 oz pink wads with #9 shot. You get more loads out of a 25# bag, less felt recoil [a lighter load and maybe more collapse in the wad], you get a freebie every six loads, and using #9 shot more pellets in your shell.

Yep.
I settled on the same 3/4 oz load, specifically for lighter recoil for my wife.
My neighbor donated a couple buckets of #8 as free-ware, which I graciously accepted.

There is quite a difference in calculated recoil from 3/4 to 7/8 oz loads.
STS, 14.1 gr of Clays, Fed 209A, CB0175-12, 3/4 oz #8 in a Stoeger is 9.58 ft-lbs.
STS, 16.1 gr of Clays, Fed 209A, TGT12, 7/8 oz #8 in a Stoeger is 13.93 ft-lbs.

Fed 209A were out of stock everywhere until recently.
I found them both available and on-sale at Midsouth and bought a few bricks.
Fed 209A generates more pressure than does Rem 209P.

I have always had great luck with Claybuster Lightning # CL410012B for my 7/8 oz loads. They can be hard to find locally, but are available from several internet suppliers. They are one of the few that are actually designed for 7/8 oz. They will also hold 3/4 oz nicely without a depressed crimp.

I use the pink wads for 1 oz of shot, WAA12 or the Claybuster equivalent. 

Same as Rye Miles.

Good loads been using Red Dot powder, Pink wads, 1oz. shot never fails.

Jackrabbit Joe

RS posted earlier:

"Claybuster Lightning # CB4100-12B for my 7/8 oz loads... one of the few that are actually designed for 7/8 oz. "  (corrected the wad number for you)

Well, Claybuster designed that wad for 1 ounce loads.  But they state on their web site that some 7/8 ounce loads can also be made with them.  All that the Claybuster company provides in the way of loading data for the CB4100-12B is 1 ounce loads.

There are now a good number of 12 gauge wads that are designed for 7/8 ounces loads that some clay bird shooters are starting to use.   Much easier now to find several designs of 7/8 wads than it was as recently as 5 years ago.

Good luck, GJ

RS posted earlier:

"Claybuster Lightning # CB4100-12B for my 7/8 oz loads... one of the few that are actually designed for 7/8 oz. "  (corrected the wad number for you)

Well, Claybuster designed that wad for 1 ounce loads.  But they state on their web sight that some 7/8 ounce loads can also be made with them.  All that the Claybuster company provides in the way of loading data for the CB4100-12B is 1 ounce loads.

There are now a good number of 12 gauge wads that are designed for 7/8 ounces loads that some clay bird shooters are starting to use.   Much easier now to find several designs of 7/8 wads than it was as recently as 5 years ago.

Good luck, GJ

I notice in Alliant's Red Dot data for 7/8 that the CB4100-12 is listed. My notes show that wad equivalent to the Lightning, which is another indicated elsewhere for 7/8, while optimal for 1 oz. They have the load for Red Dot using that wad (WinAAHS, W209). I have BPI's "Lightning" wad, and if the same Lightning as Claybuster's, has a base that is too wide to matchup with the taper of the plastic base cup of the WinAAHS.  The grey WinAA12L has a base that is slightly compressed at .700. The CB4100-12B is .723 and doesn't mate well in my WinAA HS cutaway, while the grey WinAA12L appears made for it.

Archived