SASS Wire Forum

Today was Friday the 13th

Pat Riot

It’s funny how people aren’t as superstitious as they once were. I went about my day all day without hearing one person comment that it was Friday the 13th. I went to my doctor’s office, the bank, the post office, to the range, to the pharmacy...Not one mention. And no one mentioned it here! That’s even more amazing! :lol:

Years ago I remember people calling off sick on Friday the 13th. My boss in Charlotte actually cancelled a drill we were scheduled to do because it was to occur in Friday the 13th. 

I grew up in a very superstitious family. Superstitions bug me, but I still do things like knock on wood for luck. :D

I dont believe in luck.

I believe in Jesus. 

Friday the 13th was just the end of the work week lol 

I enjoyed the day for what it was .

( Jayson's Birthday  ) lol 

Chch chch chch Haa haa haa 

Friday the 13th is just another day. The only thing I don't like about it is that the 3rd Saturday and 4th Sunday are back to back. These days I find it difficult to shoot two days in a row at different ranges and still be able to walk without pain on Monday.

"It’s funny how people aren’t as superstitious as they once were."

I've never really shared this with anyone before. My Dad was born on Friday the 13th and after WWII always considered the 13th his lucky day, growing up I always wondered why, one day as a teenager he explained it to me. He had just gotten out of diesel school and had lined up with his class mates to get assigned to their first ships. After "counting off" he said the fellow in front of him started crying when he got number 13. Said he just knew he wouldn't be coming back. Since 13 was no big deal to him, my Dad switched with him taking the 13th spot in line. Spots 1 to 13 were assigned to either sub school or amphibious ships, in Dad's case an LCI(g). The fellow in his old spot was assigned to the U.S.S. Indianapolis. From the end of the war on 13 was always his lucky number.

Some was pleased with the day....

84b9c45a-09bb-4fd9-a027-006fdf5c6f6c-in-honor-of-friday-the-13th-imgur.jpg.aaeb2d5c17028bae85543de88b89e58c.jpg

Screenshot_20191214-164724_Photos.jpg

My daughter loves Friday the 13th. she calls it her lucky day.  She played college volleyball her number 13 and Friday the 13th 1993 she learned that she was awarded All American status.  A nice day by anyone's standards. 

I attended a memorial service for a Navy veteran on Friday 12/13/19. He was born on Friday 12/13/46. A special day that will have a new memory the next time Friday the 13th rolls around, especially in December.

13 is my lucky number, so I don't mind Friday the 13th. The only time I won anything was the time I had the number 13.

This reminded me of Churchill "Churchy" LaFemme the Turtle from the Pogo the Possum cartoon strip from the pen of  Walt Kelly. Churchy would dig a hole and hide in it even if “Friday the 13th falls on a Wednesday this month”.
I miss the old things that brought harmless and pointed humor to the vagaries of daily life back then. 

RIP: WALT and POGO!

DE749EE4-C7C5-41C6-B9B8-4363C7103509.gif.92ce5f73d555092edd8220b1887e68a5.gif

Archived