SASS Wire Forum

357 Brass

Texas Lizard

Starline

Starline supports SASS by donating gift certificates as door prizes at major matches.  I have received three of these certificates at matches.  Starline brass is good stuff and they support the CAS sport.

I'm lucky, I go to Sedalia, which is 40 miles away, once a month so when I need brass I pick it up right at Starline which is right next to Sierra. :D

I have have very good luck with Federal Nickel plated 357 in reloads. Some have had over 20+ reloads, and some of those nosebleed loads,not like RP where you would be lucky to get half a dozen before splits. Unfortunately I know of nowhere you can buy Federal cases except as loaded ammo, that may not be available now. I use Starline also with great results.

Imis

You ask about the "best" brass.  All of the companies above make really good brass.  But I get more longevity, and better reloads for accuracy out of Lapua.  It ain't exactly the least expensive.  But performs better than the others listed.

Doc

I have had a lot of nickel plated brass that has split. The plating process makes them more brittle.

All of my "active" brass is Starline or Winchester. They are indistinguishable in practical terms, so I have found no issue mixing them. I did learn to set aside any other head stamps that came from range pickups, originating with bought ammo (once fired). I load the full range of 357 Magnum with the same batch of brass. I haven't had to retire very many. For two years I have used 357 in my SASS rifle, so the brass has been recycled a number of times.

As far as the premise, I believe the only brass that will be a problem with splitting early are the range pickups.  Others among those will not fit shell holders and would need to be culled. PPU and Blazer come to mind. I don't use Remington (RP) brass but recall that only the case walls of the 38 Special are thin and will not size down to the ID needed for a good grip on the bullets.

First, like a lot of members here.  I have been shooting a long time.  A young guy who was picking brass walked over to me with handful of brass, asking if they were mine?  Could be I replied.  I must have 20 or so different brands of 38 brass, There aren't that many kinds of brass.  It was a long winter that year, I started separating brass. A first just brass from nickel ,  Gradually, I started getting rid of chanelured .  When I would see a strange head stamp I would put one in dish to side.  In the spring I brought my bag of brass to show off.  So far 37 different head stamps.   My major match ammo is Starline or Win.  Monthly match is the mix of everything brass. With the nickel reserved for practice.  Can not tell any real difference.  The only exception is Amerc which goes in the split bucket to recycle.   Now the winter is hard upon us I wonder what project I will dream up.        GW

Archived