SASS Wire Forum

Bureaucracy At It's........?

Calamity Kris

Uno and I went to the local court house to apply for TSA pre-check.  We decided it was worth the money since we have been and will be traveling frequently between the coasts for the foreseeable future.  We arrived ahead of our appointment time.  The screening lady takes a look at Uno's paperwork and gives him an appointment number. She points to the waiting room, telling him to take a seat and wait to be called.  She takes a look at my paperwork and said it wasn't acceptable.  My marriage license wasn't stamped as certified by the clerk of courts in the county we were married, even though it had "Customer Copy" printed all over it.  I told her it was the same license I used for job applications, government security clearances etc.  She said they shouldn't have taken it because it wasn't stamped with a seal.  She then asked to look at the rest of my paperwork.  Well, I didn't have a copy of my divorce decree from 1983.   I pointed to the space on my not-acceptable marriage license where it lists my former married name and the date of divorce.  She said I must have my divorce decree to prove I'm legally divorced before marrying Uno. 

Hurrumph.

Now I have to do lots of paper chasing before I can make another appointment and spend a few more hours trying to get this resolved. 

Bottles, please give me a Sarsaparilla.  I need it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

The best way around bureaucracy is through it.

When I go to the DMV or a den of bureaucracy I act like I am so happy to be there it almost sickens me. I swear, wearing a grin is a grinless place makes the grinches there wonder. They happily process my papers and help me along quickly. 

Try it. See if I am wrong. 

The best way around bureaucracy is through it.

When I go to the DMV or a den of bureaucracy I act like I am so happy to be there it almost sickens me. I swear, wearing a grin is a grinless place makes the grinches there wonder. They happily process my papers and help me along quickly. 

Try it. See if I am wrong. 

I did this at the DMV last year when I renewed. Sailed through with no problems. They even did my tag at the same time......hadn't thought of that when I went in.

Kris, good luck on the next trip. Paperwork is a pain in the ass. Years ago, I bought a filing cabinet just so it was consolidated. Of course, none of that helps when you have to deal with the Feds. If you'd have had a different clerk, chances are you'd have had a different outcome.

The first task of any bureaucracy is the continuation of the bureaucracy.

It's called, "feeding the dragon."  When I was a young Major working at the pentagon, the 2-star came around and discussed how bloated the headquarters elements across the Army had become.  We had been tasked with cutting every HQ element by 20%.  My job was to do the mission analysis and present several courses of action which could cut the Military Police contingent at the pentagon by 20%.  

I got to work, and presented three such options to my boss, a Lieutenant Colonel.  He was absolutely livid, because I had done everything the General had directed me to do.  I was chastised for proposing we make cuts (I even reduced my own position from 4 people to 2 in all three proposals).  "You've got to feed the dragon," he told me repeatedly, which is code for continuing the bureaucracy.  In other words, he wanted me to only present courses of action that offered *NO* cuts and then tap dance to justify why I was unable to carry out the General's directive.

"Forget that," I told myself, and I submitted all three courses of action to the General, as is.  He chose one, and we took a 20% cut.  All of it was to the taxpayer's benefit, to the benefit of the guys in foxholes, and to the detriment of the "dragon."  

I feel your pain.

Since the name on my birth certificate is different than the one I've used all my life (Ma re-married when I was a toddler and informally "changed" my last name), I literally have to go to court to have my name legally changed to the only name I've ever used - just to get my "real ID" driver's license.  'Tain't cheap, even if I do all the work myself - rough guess about $750+.  <_<

Gotta do this just to be able to buy ammunition.  :(

I feel your pain.

Since the name on my birth certificate is different than the one I've used all my life (Ma re-married when I was a toddler and informally "changed" my last name), I literally have to go to court to have my name legally changed to the only name I've ever used - just to get my "real ID" driver's license.  'Tain't cheap, even if I do all the work myself - rough guess about $750+.  <_<

Plain out and out........that sucks.

I looked at the name change process in Berkeley County, WV. It was $200 cash for the court plus $50 for the newspaper legal notice plus three trips to the court over several months. All because my birth cert. did not have "Jr" on it. Jr is an implied "son of" as I had the same name as my father. Anyhow used Jr. my entire life including having a Top Secret Q clearance for 33 years. The last time I went to renew my WV drivers license, they said "Nope, no fed gold star for you as your birth cert. and SS card names don't match even though my old license had a star. Renewed my passport and then zipped right through the DMV idiocy. 

I feel your pain.

My wife was in the identical situation, it only cost us about 500 bucks I think

Uno and I went to the local court house to apply for TSA pre-check.  We decided it was worth the money since we have been and will be traveling frequently between the coasts for the foreseeable future.  We arrived ahead of our appointment time.  The screening lady takes a look at Uno's paperwork and gives him an appointment number. She points to the waiting room, telling him to take a seat and wait to be called.  She takes a look at my paperwork and said it wasn't acceptable.  My marriage license wasn't stamped as certified by the clerk of courts in the county we were married, even though it had "Customer Copy" printed all over it.  I told her it was the same license I used for job applications, government security clearances etc.  She said they shouldn't have taken it because it wasn't stamped with a seal.  She then asked to look at the rest of my paperwork.  Well, I didn't have a copy of my divorce decree from 1983.   I pointed to the space on my not-acceptable marriage license where it lists my former married name and the date of divorce.  She said I must have my divorce decree to prove I'm legally divorced before marrying Uno. 

Hurrumph.

Now I have to do lots of paper chasing before I can make another appointment and spend a few more hours trying to get this resolved. 

So you're still married to your first husband??

My wife was in the identical situation, it only cost us about 500 bucks I think

I might be little high with my estimate, but it's still substantial.  In california it's now $435 plus any local court fees for a total of up to $480, and $250 for the mandatory newspaper postings.  Fee to have it done would be about $150 additional.  

Just to keep bein' me.  That's bureaucracy for ya.   doh!.gif

I consulted an attorney about fifty years ago to address the issue.  He said not to worry... you could be anyone and use any name you wanted as long as you were not out to commit fraud ~ "don't waste your money" doing it officially.  My... the times have changed! 

It's called, "feeding the dragon."  When I was a young Major working at the pentagon, the 2-star came around and discussed how bloated the headquarters elements across the Army had become.  We had been tasked with cutting every HQ element by 20%.  My job was to do the mission analysis and present several courses of action which could cut the Military Police contingent at the pentagon by 20%.  

I got to work, and presented three such options to my boss, a Lieutenant Colonel.  He was absolutely livid, because I had done everything the General had directed me to do.  I was chastised for proposing we make cuts (I even reduced my own position from 4 people to 2 in all three proposals).  "You've got to feed the dragon," he told me repeatedly, which is code for continuing the bureaucracy.  In other words, he wanted me to only present courses of action that offered *NO* cuts and then tap dance to justify why I was unable to carry out the General's directive.

"Forget that," I told myself, and I submitted all three courses of action to the General, as is.  He chose one, and we took a 20% cut.  All of it was to the taxpayer's benefit, to the benefit of the guys in foxholes, and to the detriment of the "dragon."  

I'd never heard that term, but I experienced it for twelve years as an assistant prosecuting attorney, when I represented our county's children services, among other places.

Best way is to get a passport.

I have a passport, in my former married name...........  I would have to go through the same malarkey to have it updated, since I don't have a "valid" marriage certificate....:rolleyes:

I feel your pain.

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that.

I might be little high with my estimate, but it's still substantial.  In california it's now $435 plus any local court fees for a total of up to $480, and $250 for the mandatory newspaper postings.  Fee to have it done would be about $150 additional.  

Just to keep bein' me.  That's bureaucracy for ya.   doh!.gif

I consulted an attorney about fifty years ago to address the issue.  He said not to worry... you could be anyone and use any name you wanted as long as you were not out to commit fraud ~ "don't waste your money" doing it officially.  My... the times have changed! 

we are up in Nevada Hardpan, it is a little cheaper here in Nevada 

So you're still married to your first husband??

The plot thickens!

NNNNNNnnnnoooooooooo!!!  I left that dirtbag in Baton Rouge almost 40 years ago.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

Hurrumph.

Demand to see the supervisor, the supervisor's supervisor, all the way up the line.  Cause all the inconvenience you can and then go to your Congressional Representative's office and raise hell there.

May not get you what you want but they won't forget you again...and it's fun to poke the bear.  What's the worst that can happen, they gonna cut your hair and send you to Vietnam?

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

While intoxicated, he threw me down a flight of stairs.  I struck my head on the wall at the bottom permanently damaging my eyesight.  I think he qualifies for dirtbag at the very least.............

While intoxicated, he threw me down a flight of stairs.  I struck my head on the wall at the bottom permanently damaging my eyesight.  I think he qualifies for dirtbag at the very least.............

No, he qualifies for prison. I'm glad you had the wherewithal to get away. I've seen many not do so.

While intoxicated, he threw me down a flight of stairs.  I struck my head on the wall at the bottom permanently damaging my eyesight .  I think he qualifies for dirtbag at the very least.............

That POS needs a lead implant:excl: :angry:

OLG 

Archived