SASS Wire Forum

Money Orers

Ivery Keys #11974

Working with a seller who now informs me he will have to wait for the MO to clear before he can ship.  Never heard of this before, but after researching, found that MO schemes are fairly common.  So why use money orders any more?  If they are going to be treated the same way a personal check is treated, why not save the effort and fees and just go with personal checks?

Thanks,

Ivery

I had that happen earlier this year too. :mellow:

Waiting for a check to clear isn't like it used to be - with check scanners & computer magic, checks sometimes clear the next day, and rarely take more than two business days.

Here the number to verify PMOs

866 459 7822

Lately Ive had Sellers hold cashiers checks

hey as long as they’re upfront about it I’m OK

while you think a check clears the bank , they are actually allowing you access to the funds Before they actually clear as long as you have funds in your account to cover said check!

somebody sends me a ck they have a week to clear on an in state check, 2 weeks for out of state.   Take a large out of state check to your bank and see if they don’t tell you the same

i had BofA put a 21 day hold on a check

Not going to debate this! I spent 25 plus years working in and managing IT depts  specializing in remittance processing at BofA, Chase and a few others

I always send a personal check and ask seller to ship after my check clears .

That way we both have a understanding from the start .

But Paypal friends and family is a whole lot faster .

Just sayin .

Rooster  

Working with a seller who now informs me he will have to wait for the MO to clear before he can ship.  Never heard of this before, but after researching, found that MO schemes are fairly common.  So why use money orders any more?  If they are going to be treated the same way a personal check is treated, why not save the effort and fees and just go with personal checks?

Thanks,

Ivery

I agree 100%, I take checks from people on the Wire all the time. You simply wait until the check clears before you ship!;)

Although we can't use it for guns, Paypal is great!

For SASS members with a club affiliation, I'm comfortable with personal checks for small items, with no hold.

For SASS members with a club affiliation, I'll take USPS MO or a Cashiers Check for a big purchase with no hold.

I rarely sell to "Guests"  (I think I sold a pair of boots to a guest), and have never bought from a "Guest" 

PayPal....REALLY PAYPAL ??????  Why not just send

Monies to the Brady foundation while you're at it?!:unsure:

Don't we have enough troubles without supporting anti gun groups?!

McCandless we all know the dip sticks that say just send it as a "gift"

Sorry I'm old and see our gun rights eroding daily, NY, Cali, Now VA !!!

We don't need to support the erosion of our rights.:angry:

I'm so riled I may have to go buy an AR just to calm myself:P

I shipped an item in October before I received any payment. Now I am stuck as I got nothing plus I am stuck with the shipping cost. But I just shipped 2 more items before getting payment.

Dang, what else are you giving away?:(  Just kiddin ya. I detest thieves and that's what they are.....thieves.

I am with you about PayPal , Dutch. Personally I will not use them for anything.

Rex :D

I've had good success sending Post Office Money Orders.

I have to go to the PO to mail it anyway, so I might as well get the MO there.

I hesitate to send a personal check to someone that I don't know, even if I've dealt with them before.

If the check is intercepted by a ne'er-do-well, the account info could do some damage.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Stop. Just stop it. There are plenty of anti gun companies out there, but PayPal, despite its policy, is owned by eBay. eBay sells more gun parts than any other company in the world. Maybe more than all them combined? 

If you run an online company you are pretty screwed if you don't use Paypal.  If I avoided every company that isn't pro-gun  I would hardly be able to function in modern society. I couldn't even send my kids to school.

I'm pretty sure that using a USPS money order has an important advantage. If either party cheats the other, they can be charged with mail fraud.

Also those m.o.'s have security features similar to currency so that you can spot a fake or altered one. They're worth the small cost.

I shipped an item in October before I received any payment. Now I am stuck as I got nothing plus I am stuck with the shipping cost. But I just shipped 2 more items before getting payment.

I hear you there. I have bought a lot more stuff off the wire, than I have sold, but other than a gun (and even a couple of those to trusted folks) I ship as soon as a deal is struck. I never quite understand why folks think it's fine for the seller to wait 10 days or whatever on a check, but the buyer is taking just as much of a risk just sending money without a guarantee. I once did a deal with someone on here that waited 20 days because that's what their local bank told them to do and the item was $20. Other than a fun, it is only fair on here for both parties to trust each other and ship payments and items at the same time. Or at least that's my though.

I prefer Venmo.  It's instantaneous.  

If I'm selling on Gunbroker the item goes out when I get payment and it clears.  If I'm selling on the Wire the item ships when I get payment.  If I know the cowboy personally or by reputation the item ships when I get the address.

Don't tell anyone, but PayPal owns Venmo. If the millennials find out they might stop using it, since most think it's a way to "stick it to the man"

You do like you want, I'll do as I want.  They don't take any money at all from a "friends and family" transaction. 

Plus, I've bought more hard to find gun parts from eBay than I have from any other source.

I would say some things about your blathering, ignorant rant but I don't need to lower myself to your level.

Archived