SASS Wire Forum

58' Remington conversion

Black RZR

How do I verify the hammer is on empty chamber at loading table? There is no gap to see...

Being how we don't have an official LT officer we rely on shooter behind to look . I guess technically we do have a LT officer it just changes alot 

15762049621021943805782556701991.jpg

With a gold  or silver Sharpie draw a line on each side of the chamber on the outside if the cylinder. Don't load that chamber, you should be able to see those lines on each side of the top strap.

Aah ...I don't think I'm drawing on my gun. I'm talking to territorial governor about it. I'm thinking if someone watched and verified I only loaded 5. Then tilt gun back and away and count the 5 bullets visible... maybe. 

15762068084313448258779114696640.jpg

It's unloaded now but if it were loaded the red poly bullets are obvious. But that person would have to watch me load only 5...I don't see a rule in SASS too explain this . Anyone who knows more or has used these conversions please let me know

The Sharpie wipes off. I've done that with Remmie Conversions and Ruger Single Six's.

Tilting is a no go, too much risk of breaking the 170.

I've seen folks put the cylinder in a lathe and take that lip off too, but I'm guessing you don't want to do that.

Stick a wooden dowel down the bore, show them how far in it goes.  

Or, have them verify empty at the loading gate chamber, then slowly click 4 times, then full cock and hammer down.  If they don't understand that, get another person to man that position.

People with the EAA Bounty Hunter revolvers and .22 revolvers have the same problems (and some conversion cylinders), and those folks have mentioned using the dowel numerous times over the years.

I have the cimarron new model army aka factory conversion. I lay out 5 rounds make sure the LTO sees there's only 5. load as normal, rotate the pistol upside down keeping it parallel to the table and you can look straight down and count the 5 loaded chambers. I've never been given any grief over that. but the dow rod with 2 marks works well from what I hear. I just have a difficult time sticking any part of my body in front of a loaded gun.  

Half Cock

Load One

Skip One

Load Four

Cock

The chamber you now lower on will be be empty.

This looks like it came from the factory as a cartridge gun and is not a conversion.   Does it have a hammer mounted firing pin?   When the gun is fully cocked, look through the hole in the frame, you should see daylight, not a primer.

Just curious... can you see cartridge rims if you opened the loading gate? 

...This looks like it came from the factory as a cartridge gun and is not a conversion.   Does it have a hammer mounted firing pin?   When the gun is fully cocked, look through the hole in the frame, you should see daylight, not a primer.

Firing pin is frame (conversion ring) mounted.

I have the cimarron new model army aka factory conversion. I lay out 5 rounds make sure the LTO sees there's only 5. load as normal, rotate the pistol upside down keeping it parallel to the table and you can look straight down and count the 5 loaded chambers. I've never been given any grief over that. but the dow rod with 2 marks works well from what I hear. I just have a difficult time sticking any part of my body in front of a loaded gun.  

I started this game with that same gun. It was a lot of fun, but could never quite get used to the remmington style grips so I eventually let it go on the cheap. Anyway, if I remember correctly, with the gate open and the right lighting, you could just barely see an empty chamber. What folks that checked would do (we've never had a LT officer, but new guys get checked when starting out) was watch me do the John Wayne load and then try to tell. If not, then it's on me to not end up with a click and five bangs during the string.

Make yourself a dowel longer than the chamber+barrel length. Load a dummy round with a bullet in it. Index to the top so the round is under the hammer. Push dowel in from muzzle & make sure it seats against the bullet. Paint a RED ring around the dowel just outside the end of the barrel. Index the cylinder to an empty chamber. Push dowel in again. Make sure the red ring is completely inside the barrel. You now have a gauge for your purpose.

Stick a wooden dowel down the bore, show them how far in it goes.  

Or, have them verify empty at the loading gate chamber, then slowly click 4 times, then full cock and hammer down.  If they don't understand that, get another person to man that position.

I have a safety issue of placing my fingers in front of a barrel of a loaded firearm.

I just shot my pair today.  I've used a rod to show the loading table officer that I had the hammer down on an empty chamber, but like Matthew Duncan, I never felt good about putting my fingers by the bore.

We haven't used a loading table officer in a couple of years.  Today I simply looked at the front of the cylinder from a side angle and I could easily spot the empty chamber.

• 1 month later...

Relying on the shooter behind you to check your “hammer on empty” status is iffy, at best.  They’re busy with their own guns, and don’t care to be distracted.  Even a designated LT Officer won’t be much help, as there are too damn many discourteous shooters to contend with.  Same thing at the unloading table, where arguably, the checking is more critical.  But, that is another, different discussion.

Cat Brules

Howdy,

What Jenny said. I have a 58 conversion and the prior owner had small slots to show the rims of each chamber. Just the rims. easy to see the brass on 5 and a black slot. Show that it sits to the left of the top strap. Cock the hammer and it rolls under the hammer. Lower the hammer on the empty chamber.

Rev. Chase

Archived