SASS Wire Forum

Stock Stain Help Needed

Wild Willi

I have a stock to stain Walnut, normally I use Minwax or Watcos then cover with True oil.  I am wanting a oil only stain then wax over finish.  I have been trying to find a alcohol based walnut stain.  I do not want a water base that will raise the grain in the wood.  If you know of a good product and where it can be had I would be tnakful

Thanks WW

I have successfully used Fiebing's Professional Oil Dye for leather.  Yes leather, I'm a holster maker and I needed to match a Uberti 73 rifle stock.  It worked great and I finished it with an oil stain.

Tung oil mixed with burnt umber:

* Brush on several coats of Tung oil mixed with burnt umber - let dry between applications

* Then between these applications rub with a felt pad - rottenstone mixed with alcohol and clean off

* Then several coats of hand rubbed tung oil mixed with burnt umber to desired darkness

* Let completely dry between applications

When satisfied with coat, rub wood with several coats of Butchers Wax, aka  Bowling Alley wax

I got carried away doing a Remington model 12 with  10 coats - finish looks like GLASS :)

If you want to speed up the drying process, mix some Japan Drier in with the Tung Oil

That's what I use. Then some tru-oil on top.

DSCN0068a.thumb.jpg.a3afc4b7d2189de84edd4f83e60819ee.jpgDSCN0069.thumb.JPG.22ce0477f8beef9ea120ace2f6445ea8.JPG

NATE!!! Your still here.  Good to see your still posting really missed your GOOD advice.

I rarely stain most woods, but I really like TransTint it’s a liquid dye that can be mixed with water, alcohol, or added to your finish. Looks pricey for the amount you get, but a little goes a long way. 

I soak tobacco in turpentine until the color looks right and use the turpentine for the stain.  For the finish I use a 50-50 mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil.  The finish takes many coats.

I rarely stain most woods, but I really like TransTint it’s a liquid dye that can be mixed with water, alcohol, or added to your finish. Looks pricey for the amount you get, but a little goes a long way. 

2nd the TransTint.  I use it to finish violins and also gun stocks.

I get mine at Woodcraft  https://www.woodcraft.com/products/transtint-dyes-honey-amber 

Archived