SASS Wire Forum

Bore Obstruction

Subdeacon Joe

shared his first post.

Something from my last voyage: gun barrel from battlecruiser SMS Seydlitz (right gun, from turrent E) damaged by heavy projectile during the Battle of Jutland. Exibited in the Deutsches Marinemuseum in Wilhelmshaven

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: food

No photo description available.

Very tough ship.

• Especially for a battlecruiser. If I recall she received 22 hits from heavy shells (and 1 torpedo), and got her all main guns knocked out.

• This photo shows how badly she was damaged during that battle, but still managed get home on her own.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

I hate it when a main gun gets a hole in the barrel. 

I guess  you  mean   "An extra  hole" 

It does  need 2 to operate  properly :P

Was that cannon made by Marlin?

I see it has Micro-groove rifling. :P

There are no “cannons” on Navy vessels, regardless of whose Navy. They are called “Guns”. ;)

The USS Constitution?

They are called “Guns”. ;)
Anyone that calls them cannons is a ground pounder in disguise. :D

Actually, from way way back the cannons on ships have been called “guns” because the early ones we’re designed for a high muzzle velocity, level firing at short distances. They were called “guns” vs cannons. Over time, the name “guns” has been attached to all shipboard mounted projectile firing equipment. 
A Sailor or Marine calling a small arm a “gun” is thoroughly chastised as being a dolt and quickly corrected to use the proper term for the small arm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver).

I bet that made some ears ring. I just wonder where the shell went after it glanced off the barrel.

Archived