SASS Wire Forum

WB question. Cast .451" or .452"?

Mustang Gregg

Pards:

I haven't loaded any .45 ACP in 14 + years, because I have a stock of jackets loaded ammo.

However, I'm going to try WB (new for our club).

And do most of you all shot .451" or .452"?

Back in my early days of IPSC, it was .452" for the most part.

And I have a few thousand Colorado Cast 230 gr in .542".

What are most barrel grooves now?

BTW---I know I should slug the bbl, but I'm lout of straight soft lead.

Muchas gracias,

Mustang

I slugged a barrel with melted fishing weights from WalMart. There is a YouTube video on how to do it, so I bought the little torch too.
With my 45 ACP reloading I have to watch the bullet diameter, or the cartridges won't run in the gun and certainly won't work in a cartridge gauge meant for jacketed diameters (.451 bullets). Dies I know are expecting .451, so .452 can be problematic. For now I have to crimp coated lead on a single stage to get the consistency I want and to allow for a bullet feeder on my progressive. I may rethink that.

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the help.  

I do have 2000 .452" cast bullets to start out with.

So that is the diameter I will use.

I'm really looking forward to shooting Wild Bunch stages!

I've been away from my 1911A1 way too long!

Mustang

Am I the only one who would suggest it doesn't matter?    ( I have routinely used 9mm bullets - nominally 356 of course) in my CAS 38 Specials...  and couldn't tell the difference...

FOR LEAD: When I shot a Springfield and a couple other brands, .452 worked great.

BUT, my Kimber had a tighter chamber and I had to settle on .451 for consistent

feeding and chambering.

FOR JACKETED:  as mentioned above, .451

..........Widder

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the help.  

I do have 2000 .452" cast bullets to start out with.

So that is the diameter I will use.

I'm really looking forward to shooting Wild Bunch stages!

I've been away from my 1911A1 way too long!

Mustang

You are good to go!  I use 200 gr. .452 RNFP for my WB loads in 1911's and .45 Colt rifle.  They work GOOD and keep it simple.  By the way,  I use fairly soft bullets, about Brinell 12 or 13.  :)

Blackfoot:FlagAm:

I cast a Lee 200gr .452 .

All my 1911's like the bullet equally well at any distance. 

Rooster

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:   

I found an old notepad with .45 ACP load data. It was from the early 1980's when I was shooting pistol combat and bowling pins.

I was using my home cast 230 gr RN bullets that were sized to .452" 230 gr bullets,  but I was also resizing the entire loaded bullet in a carbide .45 ACP sizing die without the guts.

So the bullets could have been possibly be squeezed down to.450" or .451"(???).  :blink:

I know that they flowed 100% through my Gold Cup with no accuracy or unburned debris issues.

Merry Christmas

Mustang

If I'm using straight lead bullets .452 is fine but it they're coated I get a lot that won't go through the checker. I'm going to have to get a Lee bulge buster die for those.

My coated 452 SWC bullets measure about .005 over. After running a couple through a .452 sizer they are dead on .452. I have had serious issues with cartridges failing a gauge and separated seating and crimping. I think I will resize 50 and see what happens. BTW there was no noticeable damage to the coating, while there was resistance through the sizer.

My 200 gr RFN lead bullets are .452, cases are sized on Dillon standard 45ACP Carbide dies, seated w/a RCBS seater and taper crimped w/a Lee die, drop right in and OUT of my chamber check.  Run like popcorn thru a goose in 3 different Colts, a Kimber, a RIA, and 2 Taylor Tactical, plus one Interarms with surplus Springfield WWII slide and Barstow match barrel... all 1911s.

My 200 gr RFN lead bullets are .452, cases are sized on Dillon standard 45ACP Carbide dies, seated w/a RCBS seater and taper crimped w/a Lee die, drop right in and OUT of my chamber check.  Run like popcorn thru a goose in 3 different Colts, a Kimber, a RIA, and 2 Taylor Tactical, plus one Interarms with surplus Springfield WWII slide and Barstow match barrel... all 1911s.

Merry Christmas, UNCLE Griff..... :D

..........Widder

Merry Christmas, UNCLE Griff..... :D

..........Widder

Thank you Widder,  And a Merry HO, HO, HO to you and yours!

Archived