SASS Wire Forum

Reloading -Same load for Rifle and Revolver

Jed Cooper

I like a hot load for rifle and an easy handling load for pistols.  But, I have the time and the inclination.

This is my motivation as well... low recoil for my wife's comfort, low recoil to avoid trashing my wrists.

KSS - its the only way to go if you like to keep it simple - tune them to both and enjoy the experience , 

i have no issue loading more that one cartridge for your 45s and 38s but its only common sense to keep each all the same between rifles and revolvers , it is /was the reason for carrying a rifle in the same caliber as your revolver back in the day - buy a box fill them both and have spare ammo without thinking about it , 

KSS - its the only way to go if you like to keep it simple - tune them to both and enjoy the experience , 

i have no issue loading more that one cartridge for your 45s and 38s but its only common sense to keep each all the same between rifles and revolvers , it is /was the reason for carrying a rifle in the same caliber as your revolver back in the day - buy a box fill them both and have spare ammo without thinking about it , 

If using the logic of 19th century tradition, we wouldn't be shooting 38 or 45 rifles, probably 44-40. Simplifying ammo  for race guns is just part of the CAS game.

i get that but its all about applying 19th century logic to our 21st century [advanced] game , and the 45colt was common use by 1880s 

44-40 & 38-40 was more common with older cowboys but those that served govmnt had experience with the modern cartridges 

i get that but its all about applying 19th century logic to our 21st century [advanced] game , and the 45colt was common use by 1880s 

44-40 & 38-40 was more common with older cowboys but those that served govmnt had experience with the modern cartridges 

45 Colt was not used in rifles. Not sure about 38 but I doubt it.

In answer to your original question, no.  Since I am using 45 Colt pistols and rifles, I like to minimize recoil in the pistols and therefor use the Cowboy45Special with 160 grain bullets.  In the rifles, I'm using a 200 grain bullet in regular 45 Colt cases... both are available from Starline.

The C45S is basically a 45ACP length case with a 45 Colt rim.  This reduced volume case is great for making reduced velocity rounds in revolvers; (rifles also if you have one converted to utilize these reduced length cases).  I've been using them since they were introduced by Adirondack Jack.

PLUS ONE too Griff.  I do like to keep it as simple as possible.  I also shoot mostly .45s    I like to reduce recoil in my revolvers and so I utilize Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Same same griff, since AJ.  I have also converted my '73 and a couple of my Henry Rifles to C45S.  Other 45 Henry Rifles run 45 Schofield cases.  I keep/use separate tool heads for C45S and Schofield.  Change over in seconds.  Same routine for 44 Special rifles and revolvers, running 44 Russian cases.  Simplify.  44s run the same load as used in the revolvers.

OOPS:  FORGOT.  I don't load Trail Boss.  I don't even like Trail Boss.  Forgot that was part of the OPs question.  My simplify is accomplished by running 3f APP in EVERYTHING.  Cap Guns too    

OOPS:  FORGOT.  I don't load Trail Boss.  I don't even like Trail Boss.  Forgot that was part of the OPs question.  My simplify is accomplished by running 3f APP in EVERYTHING.  Cap Guns too    

Plus one to CC.  Just like the can of Pyrodex I dubiously "won" somewhere; the can of Trail Boss I won somewhere was given away.  Stuff isn't needed on my bench.   I ain't got anything against TB, just don't need it... I have other powders I DO like... powders I have history and experience with.   

if I may ....

A couple of years back at our National Championships on one of the occasions that I was the timer operator for a stage a competitor presented himself as 'being ready' and staged his firearms as required. This gentleman was a bit older than most of us, but not by much. "Are you ready: standby: beep". He drew his first revolver, fired one shot and paused/stopped immediately with a severely "pained" look on his face. I enquired of his hesitation and he said "I put my rifle bullets in my pistols!". I asked if his pistol bullets would work in his rifle and he indicated uncertainty; so I said "timer is still running" .......

I have been called a "hard ass" for this.

Should I have given him a re-shoot ? ....... NO! ..... he loaded his own firearms ........ he brought his own ammunition ..... he chose to have rifle and revolvers in the same calibre ....... AND he chose to load different for each.

At what point is all this the fault of the timer operator ????????

<rant mode off> (sorry:blush:)

... just an example of why it's a good idea to use the one loading IF both rifle and revolvers are the same calibre.

New to the sport and just searching for some information. I’ve done some reloading in the past and want to start again for some cowboy loads. I used the search but didn’t find quite what I’m looking for. 

Do most of you use the same load for both rifle and revolver?

I was contemplating using Trail Boss and the published load data shows a load for 45 colt for pistol loads but in the rifle data section it doesn’t show 45 colt. 

I’m going to be buying some brass, bullets, powder and some dies and was just researching what I should get. 

Thanks in advance for any input

Jed

I use the same load for the 38 arms as well as the same loads for the 44-40 arms with Trail Boss. I would have done the same with the 45's but I did not own a 45 rifle.

I shoot trail boss in my .45's. pistol & rifle. I use 5 gr. with a 200gr bullet. 

I am noting that the minimum load from Hodgdon Cowboy is 5.5. Not saying your 5.0 isn't working for you.

There is a lot written that is someone's "ideal", but not always used by everyone in reality.

If asked if they have ever deviated from published loading data, most reloaders would probably have to say yes.

I use 5.2 gr TB for my 200 gr bullets in 45 Colt... how could I ?

Shooters are a resourceful lot and usually do whatever works best for THEM, regardless of what others have said.

No rifles in 45 Colt? doubt that. .38 rifles? well, since the 38 Spl wasn't developed until 1898, most likely our CAS "deadline" date of 1899 saw few if any 38 rifles in circulation. But like with anything else, if it worked for you, you went with it. 

if I may ....

A couple of years back at our National Championships on one of the occasions that I was the timer operator for a stage a competitor presented himself as 'being ready' and staged his firearms as required. This gentleman was a bit older than most of us, but not by much. "Are you ready: standby: beep". He drew his first revolver, fired one shot and paused/stopped immediately with a severely "pained" look on his face. I enquired of his hesitation and he said "I put my rifle bullets in my pistols!". I asked if his pistol bullets would work in his rifle and he indicated uncertainty; so I said "timer is still running" .......

I have been called a "hard ass" for this.

Should I have given him a re-shoot ? ....... NO! ..... he loaded his own firearms ........ he brought his own ammunition ..... he chose to have rifle and revolvers in the same calibre ....... AND he chose to load different for each.

At what point is all this the fault of the timer operator ????????

<rant mode off> (sorry:blush:)

... just an example of why it's a good idea to use the one loading IF both rifle and revolvers are the same calibre.

Seriously, I thought the whole point to having the same caliber pistol and rifle was so that you could share the same cartridge between them.

Seriously, I thought the whole point to having the same caliber pistol and rifle was so that you could share the same cartridge between them.

Are you serious? Now who the heck thought of a silly idea like that? :ph34r:

44-40
For CAS I use 6.4gr of Trail Boss for both revolver and rifle

For CAS I use full black powder loads for revolver and rifle.

Non-CAS I use 6.4gr of Trail Boss for both revolver and rifle
Non-CAS I use Reloder 7 for both revolver and rifle

Non-CAS I use full black powder loads for revolver and rifle

reserve loads

Non-CAS I use a load of Unique for both revolver and rifle

Non-CAS I use a load of IMR-4227 for both revolver and rifle

Okay, I am done editing now!!

I am noting that the minimum load from Hodgdon Cowboy is 5.5. Not saying your 5.0 isn't working for you.

Arthritics is kicking me pretty good. Had to load'er down a bit. After much trial n error this is what I can take and keep shooting. 

Lots of arthritis but my loads stay warthog holy black. Now, they are essential because they keep me awake!!!  :D

Archived