SASS Wire Forum

That Ratty Old Gun, revisited!

Last year I posted about a ratty old gun I have.

My stepdaughter out-shot most of the guys in her Police Basic class.

For whatever reason, she selected this particular ugly looking Stiff & Worthless, and she shot it well indeed.

Tomorrow marks the day when she slipped out of her body like a man slips out of a worn and soiled cloak, and she stood up clean and new and she got her new set of wings.

Last year I posted about that ratty old gun, and I wrote it through the same blur that plagues me today, but I add one thing.

A picture.

I won't show you the lower half of the picture, but I will tell you of a joke we shared, just the two of us.

You see, at bottom center of the silhouette she shot those many years ago, she fired a nice tight group, but umm ... her shot placement was, ahhhh ...

Everyone in her Basic class took a long look at the target, and cringed.

I'll leave it to your imagination as to the exact location of that bottom center grouping.

(Nancy thought it hilarious, watching the guys wince and cringe at the sight!)

Ratty Old Gun.jpg

Linn, it's time to take it to the range again.  Nancy will be with you in spirit and smiling with every shot!  

Reminds me of a post a friend of mine made years ago. Some woman was shooting a qualification class, nice little group in the kill zone and one right between the eyes. Folks were trying it figure out how she pulled that one shot. Someone finally figured out it wasn't a pull, it was a statement.

JHC

Was at a public range on DNR property a number of years ago with my daughter. I had just put up a new target (8 1/2 x 11 silhouette) when a fellow showed up in the other lane with two friends he was going to show how to shoot. After having to tell them to put ears on I slipped a mag in my series 80 pin gun and dumped 7 rounds into the head of the target. The guy is looking at me like I have two heads when my daughter asks if it's her turn. She picks up "her" Glock 26, puts in a mag and just slightly slower than me put the whole mag center of mass, 10's and X's! As she is clearing the Glock with a huge grin on her face the other guy and his friends pack up and leave! I only wish it had been caught on video.

40 plus years ago, a friend and I went to a range near our college campus. It was right before deer season and these three guys had what appeared to be brand new Marlin .30-30s. They set up a deer target at 200 yards and were shooting off of the hood of their pick-up truck. My buddy and I set up a couple of one gallon jugs of water at 100 yards. We then proceeded to bust those jugs using my friend's 6" M28 Smith & Wesson. After watching us and also checking their almost hole free target, they packed up and left.

Years ago my friend and I were planning a shooting trip to the desert. My daughter asked if her new boyfriend could go. I said yes. 
We got set up to shoot and my daughter gives her boyfriend the laws of the land in regards to safety, the firing line, shooting etiquette, etc. 

Her boyfriend, future husband, is looking at my Colt 1991A1. He asks about shooting it. Nikki teaches him about the gun and then demonstrates shooting it at a paper target about 15-20 yards away. He jokes that she’ll be lucky to hit the target. She put 7 rounds right in the black. She reloads and hands him the gun and points to the next target over and tells him to shoot at it. I think one round hit the paper. 
I am not sure but I think she spent the rest of the day basking in that moment. I could tell she was tickled that she showed him how she could shoot. 
I ended up giving her that Colt. 

Years ago my friend and I were planning a shooting trip to the desert. My daughter asked if her new boyfriend could go. I said yes. 
We got set up to shoot and my daughter gives her boyfriend the laws of the land in regards to safety, the firing line, shooting etiquette, etc. 

Her boyfriend, future husband, is looking at my Colt 1991A1. He asks about shooting it. Nikki teaches him about the gun and then demonstrates shooting it at a paper target about 15-20 yards away. He jokes that she’ll be lucky to hit the target. She put 7 rounds right in the black. She reloads and hands him the gun and points to the next target over and tells him to shoot at it. I think one round hit the paper. 
I am not sure but I think she spent the rest of the day basking in that moment. I could tell she was tickled that she showed him how she could shoot. 
I ended up giving her that Colt. 

Right after my sister married her 1st husband, we had a family range trip.  He had just finished running a mag through my Hi Power (ad barely keeping everything on paper at 10 yards) when she walked up, took the second mag out of his back pocket and the gun from his hand with, "Here, let me show you how to do that."  That's when she commenced to putting 10 rounds in a nice palm of the hand sized group.  A little later, she was shooting wooden clothes pins off the target stands with an M-1 carbine when he couldn't hit one with a scoped .22.

Archived