SASS Wire Forum

Air Fryers?

We have one and we really like it. I like it more for meats than vegetables and potatoes. Pork chops, hamburgers, steaks with some marbling. A little fat is the key. Sirloin or really lean steak gets a little dried out. 

The thing I like about it is the speed. Turn it on. Put the meat in. Flip it in a few minutes. Wait a few more and “Bingo”! It’s done. Depending on the thickness of the chops or steak 12 to 18 minutes total time. Burgers also depend on thickness. These machines are great for juicy burgers even if you want them “well done”.

Now, perhaps I am not doing it right but veggies and potatoes get a little dried out when I try them. My wife uses olive oil on asparagus and potatoes and they come out pretty good. We mostly use it for meats.  

If you are thinking an air fryer let me throw a monkey wrench in your plans.  We have the below oven and bought earlier this year....it’s on sale like 100 plus off.  It has an air fryer function in addition to all the other stuff, and it cooks fries crisp as can be with no oil or anything added.  We love the air fryer function.

It will fit a large pizza, does toast, can do a turkey, can broil fish....it does everything well from the countertop without firing up and waiting for the big oven.  It’s great for our kids...they can run it with ease and make themselves whatever is needed.  The reheat function does well for leftovers too.

anyways we are a believer in the air fryer and an advocate of the Breville below.  this device may not be needed for everyone, but we haven’t run our regular oven except for one time during thanksgiving meal prep since having it...and we did pies in the Breville while ham in the oven and turkey on the smoker :)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/breville-the-smart-oven-air-convection-toaster-pizza-oven-stainless-steel/5850410.p?skuId=5850410

We’ve had an air fryer for about a year. It’s great! French fries, red taters, chicken, meatballs, etc etc etc. Quick and easy! I recommended em.

If you are thinking an air fryer let me throw a monkey wrench in your plans.  We have the below oven and bought earlier this year....it’s on sale like 100 plus off.  It has an air fryer function in addition to all the other stuff, and it cooks fries crisp as can be with no oil or anything added.  We love the air fryer function.

It will fit a large pizza, does toast, can do a turkey, can broil fish....it does everything well from the countertop without firing up and waiting for the big oven.  It’s great for our kids...they can run it with ease and make themselves whatever is needed.  The reheat function does well for leftovers too.

anyways we are a believer in the air fryer and an advocate of the Breville below.  this device may not be needed for everyone, but we haven’t run our regular oven except for one time during thanksgiving meal prep since having it...and we did pies in the Breville while ham in the oven and turkey on the smoker :)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/breville-the-smart-oven-air-convection-toaster-pizza-oven-stainless-steel/5850410.p?skuId=5850410

Ditto on this. Mrs Lose uses the air fryer exclusively for frying anything except for taco shells, she does those the old fashioned way. She’s working on chili rellenos and has just about got it down, the mistakes are pretty good too. She baked a whole bunch of pies for thanksgiving and most of them were in the Smart Oven as she calls it..

We had one and used it like twice. Didn't like it. Part of its problem was being too small. It didn't hold much to start with, and you couldn't put much in the small basket or the air wouldn't circulate well. We gave it away.

JHC

Went to Alaska for a month last year and brought back a lot of fish. No one says anything about fish. We have been deep frying beer battered halibut......can it be done in an airfryer?

Went to Alaska for a month last year and brought back a lot of fish. No one says anything about fish. We have been deep frying beer battered halibut......can it be done in an airfryer?

Yes.

INGREDIENTS
  •  
    2 Wellsley Farms® Large Eggs 
  •  
    1 (12 oz.) bottle favorite lager 
  •  
    1-1/2 cup Corn starch 
  •  
    1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
  •  
    1 tsp. Seasoned Salt 
  •  
    Pinch of Cayenne Pepper 
  •  
    1 lb. fresh cod, cut into 4 pieces 
  •  
    Nonstick spray 
  •  
    1/2 lb. frozen French fries 
  •  
    2 cup Broccoli slaw mix 
  •  
    1/2 cup Cole slaw dressing 
DIRECTIONS
  1. Spray the basket of an air fryer with the nonstick spray. Place fries in basket and cook at 375° until almost done, about 15 min. Set aside. 
  2. While the fries cook, whisk the eggs and beer in a medium mixing bowl. 
  3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the corn starch, flour, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. 
  4. One piece at a time, dip the fish in the egg-beer mixture. Shake off the excess, then immediately transfer the fish to the flour mixture. Turn to coat completely. 
  5. Spray the basket of an air fryer with the nonstick spray. Arrange the fish in a single layer with space between pieces. Spray fish with more nonstick spray. 
  6. Cook at 375° until the fish and fries are cooked through and crispy, about 15 to 20 min. 
  7. While fish cooks, toss broccoli slaw with dressing; refrigerate until ready to use. 
  8. Remove fish from air fryer and spray basket with nonstick spray. Return fries to basket and cook at 400° for 5 min. to reheat. 
  9. Divide cooked fish, fries and broccoli slaw equally between four plates. Serve immediately with your favorite brew. 

I just ordered a Cuisinart cookbook from Amazon.

There are a ton of great air fryer recipes on line also. 

Still thinking about this purchase. Thank you for the postings.

Air fryers were introduced in Europe apparently before USA. In Britain there were many house fires attributed to the air fryers. Recipes included a small amount of oil or fat and not cleaning it out left a hazardous residue which eventually caught fire.

what we love about fried foods is the Maillard reaction which browns and caramellizes the food. It happens when the food is cooked very quickly. The air fryers, without oil, are just high speed convection ovens. Having a liquid to product contact does a lot of the heat transfer. That is I think what is accomplished by the frequent recommendations for cooking spray, it adds just enough liquid with being dangerous.

Howdy,

I got one of the pizza go rounds on after holiday sale.

I like to use it a lot.

The guy that recommended the pizza go round just recommended air fryer.

Get one at a store where you can return it if you don't like it.

Target comes to mind. And they have good sales.

Best

CR

we bought a cheap one to try out, to see if we would like it, we love it. we are going to get a better one soon as we decide which one to buy

Archived