SASS Wire Forum

New guy looking for advice!

Keg

Hey folks! I’m getting started with this sport and have been mulling over which lever gun to buy. They’re quite expensive, so I want to make sure I’m happy with it for a long time! I’m torn between the Uberti 1866 or 1873. The cartridge is my real holdup. As an historian, the historically accurate .44-40 would be my natural choice (at least for the 1873; and would be the closest to the .44 rim fire for the 1866 I bet). But I also like the options of .357 magnum (I can hunt with it; I’ve heard .44-40 is less potent for hunting), and can use .38 special for the game. Are there any downsides to using the .38s? Would I be barred from anything if it isn’t some variation of .45 or .44? My other question is how durable are these guns? For the price I want it to live a good long life. Is one model more durable than the other? Does the softer brass of the 1866 wear more easily? Lastly, does barrel length have any bearing on what types or branches of the game I can compete in? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I look forward to:starting a SASS membership soon and attempting to find folks to practice with within a reasonable range of central Missouri. Sorry for the million questions. Not aware of any local members to help guide me through the process.

Cheers,

Corey

Hi Keg

Actually there are more answers to the questions you raised, than the number of questions. A good face to face with some SASS pards and hardware will give you more useful advice than my or anyones opinions. You will need to review the SASS handbook and try and get some feel of the different categories and how they may interest you. it is easy to make quick assumptions and subsequent purchases only to find out later little bits of info that you missed.

Sorry I did not directly answer you.

HD

Thanks for the quick replies fellers! I am in Hermann, MO, a little German town equidistant between Columbia and St Louis. Each are just over an hour away. It’d be great to meet folks around those areas to learn with. I am originally from IL and saw a couple matches at Darnall’s range in Bloomington. Have been determined to get into it ever since but have not done any hands on outside of my own revolvers. I will get a reloading setup with the rest of my gear, but for now I have a local friend that will let me use theirs.

A little information.

The 1860, 1866 and 1873 have different stock drops.

If you put one on top of the others, you will find that the new the rifles got, the less drop in the stock.

As much as an inch.

Example: to see the sights on an 1860, you have to stand up straight.

The 1873 you have to put your cheek dow on the stock.

Old Lump Grits says it all.

Go handle them at the range.

Hold them, take your shooting stance and lean in to them as if you where shooting far targets.

Also, handle rifles of different calibers.

The hole in the barrel will make a big change in the overal weight and how fast they stop on target during the swing over.

If you get into this game...your gonna want them all eventually. I also wouldn't b thinking of dual purpose , hunt/play. Go with the 73 for a match gun. 

I started with a Rossi then got the 73. I want a 60 in the future. By the way the Rossi would make a good hunt gun. It's not a good match gun. Too many problems when u try to shoot it fast over and over. It's a very accurate gun and reliable as long as you are not trying to over work it.

The .38 Special is the most popular chambering.  It’s the cheapest to feed and easier to shoot rapidly.  There are only two “exclusions”, the first being the Classic category but that’s not a highly populated category.  If you are fortunate enough to have a club in your area that offers Wild Bunch matches (Wild Bunch is not a cowboy action category but a separate shooting sport), that game requires a rifle of minimum forty caliber.

The brass receiver of the 1866 is plenty durable.  It is heavier than the 1873’s steel receiver.  As others said it has a different amount of drop in the stock.

At the distances typical in SASS matches, there is little advantage to a longer barrel.  The 18-19-20” barrels are the most popular.

I think the only category that requires 45 is classic cowboy. And u would also need a hammered sxs shotgun ...

Classic does not require a .45 but a minimum forty caliber.  An 1887 lever action shotgun is also a legal shotgun in Classic.

listen to what they are saying , go to a match or two - borrow if thats available but talk and learn before you buy , think about what you want to do , saves you a lot of cash in the end and maximizes your enjoyment , there is no shortage of fellow cowboys ready to help out a friend 

Can someone copy and paste the Missouri SASS clubs here,  for the OP?

I can't figure out how to do it with this Samsung Tablet.  :rolleyes:

OLG 

Bear Creek Volunteers
2217 Bear Creek Road
Walnut Shade, MO 65771
locate on map
Alice K. Grierson
alicegrierson@earthlink.net
417-501-1886
Date of Match: 2nd Saturday and Sunday and 5th Saturday

Bear Creek Volunteers Wild Bunch
2217 Bear Creek Road
Walnut Shade, MO 65771
locate on map
Alice K. Grierson
alicegrierson@earthlink.net
417-501-1886
Date of Match: 1st Saturday

Butterfield Trail Cowboys
759 US Highway 65
Walnut Shade, MO 65771
locate on map
Smokie
jeffedunaway@cs.com
417-759-9114
Date of Match: 4th Weekend at the Ozark Shooters Sports Complex

Central Ozarks Western Shooters
23455 County Road 7640
Newburg, MO 65550
locate on map
Irish Jack Daniels
krhwork@earthlink.net
573-486-2259
Date of Match: 3rd Sunday - 9:45 am

Gateway Area Shootist Society
8343 Metropolitan Boulevard
Barnhart, MO 63012
locate on map
Doc Slogun
N/A
314-846-2904
Date of Match: Please see "More Information" section for match schedule

Liberty Land and Cattle Company
2217 Bear Creek Road
Walnut Shade, MO 65771
locate on map
Hon. Sgt. Edward Greenwood Hampton
bradbarlazyb@outlook.com
417-294-0585
Date of Match: 3rd Saturday and Sunday and 5th Saturday

Mountain Oysters Gang
19381 Rocky Branch Road
Higginsville, MO 64037
locate on map
Schnickelfritz
siegfrieds@ctcis.net
660-909-6519
Date of Match: 1st Sunday @ 10:00AM

Southern Missouri Rangers
333 Hardwood Road
Marshfield, MO 65706
locate on map
Two Shot Hoss
twoshothoss@yahoo.com
417-839-8325
Date of Match: 4th Weekend @ 9:30 am

The Ozark Posse
15987 F. R. 2180
Cassville, MO 65625
locate on map
Tightwad Swede
tightwadswede@hotmail.com
417-846-5142
Date of Match: 1st Saturday - 9:30 AM 

Take your time making any decisions and you'll have fewer regrets later. Read the rules to see what interests you, check out some matches and talk to folks.

The '73 was made as an improvement to the '66. It's stronger, lighter and has the lever safety. I'm not sure if the '66 copies today have a lever safety or not. .38 Special is the most popular round in SASS and is cheap to buy or reload. Barrel length is generally 18-20". A '73 carbine is lighter than a short rifle. Either can be spendy new with action work and a short stroke, but may be found used at a savings.

To repeat: take your time, you'll have a more harmonious outcome.

Welcome.

Echoing all of the above, but adding that you need to be certain that the magazine of the rifle will hold at least 10 rounds.  There are some rifles out there that will only hold 9 and you wouldn't want to have to do a reload on every stage.

As an historian, the historically accurate .44-40 would be my natural choice (at least for the 1873; and would be the closest to the .44 rim fire for the 1866 I bet). But I also like the options of .357 magnum (I can hunt with it; I’ve heard .44-40 is less potent for hunting), and can use .38 special for the game. Are there any downsides to using the .38s? Would I be barred from anything if it isn’t some variation of .45 or .44? My other question is how durable are these guns? For the price I want it to live a good long life. Is one model more durable than the other? Does the softer brass of the 1866 wear more easily? Lastly, does barrel length have any bearing on what types or branches of the game I can compete in? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I look forward to:starting a SASS membership soon and attempting to find folks to practice with within a reasonable range of central Missouri. Sorry for the million questions. Not aware of any local members to help guide me through the process.

Cheers,

Corey

If you plan on shooting black powder or in the Classic Cowboy category go for the 44-40.  As you said, it is the correct caliber.  If you are going to shoot smokeless and any category other than Classic go with the 38/357 because it is simpler and cheaper to load for.  Only downside to 38s is blow by with black powder compared to the 44-40, but a lot of black powder shooters live with the blow by because of the convenience of loading the 38s. 

Far from ideal, but as a close to medium range hunting rifle both 357 and 44-40 will work so I would not let that influence your decision. 

Yes the brass frame 66 is technically weaker than the steel 73 but at 44-40 and 38 levels (they don't make a 66 in 357mag) you won't be wearing out the receiver of a 66 in your life time. 

For the price go with a Miroku made one.  Out of the box the Miroku is better in every way for SASS shooting.  Not knocking Uberti but the three I have owned all needed a little work to shoot in SASS and they need a lot of work to make them fast.  The Miroku is ready for SASS right out box and can be made just as fast as a Uberti if you start reaching the limits of the stock links. 

Barrel length will not restrict you from any category but make sure it will hold ten rounds minimum.  You can still shoot a shorter trapper model, but loading the extra rounds on the clock will kill your score.  It is simpler to just stick with a 20" or longer barrel. 

Welcome to the game! 

Keg Welcome to the game. I shoot 38/357,I  dont hunt but you are in Gods country there in Central Missouri, I grew up there. Unless you have an unlimited budget you would be well advised to NOT rush to spend money. There are a lot of nuances to this game that can make extra care in equipment purchases a must. Dont just attend a couple of matches, go , introduce yourself to the Match Director, help a possee through an entire day or days. Talk to everybody and try offered guns and equipment, you will soon find the style and category that interest you the most. It will probably change at some point later on, my ex- used to call this Cowboy Heroin, for good reason. Now go get yourself a good hat.

Imis

First of all, welcome to our game.  A lot of good advice here.  Especially the advice about going to club matches and asking to try different stuff.  THere is a lot to be said for having rifles and pistols in the same caliber.

Welcome to the game Keg, shoot the different types of rifles offered to you to use by the pards you meet and shoot with, then make your decision on what to buy. I made the mistake of buying before trying, and I'm already making changes and buying different firearms and I've only been in the game for 8 months. 

Welcome to the dance Pard .

I'm a Warthog shooter so I'm saying 44/40 every time ! 

As far as Hunting goes you can load a 44/40  Plenty hot for hunting .

No problem ! 

38 357 ? 

I never said I did not know how to use one .

I said I have No use for one .

Just Sayin. 

Rooster

Rooster Ron Wayne - Posse Member.JPG

Well, you asked, Winchester 1897 shotgun 16 gauge

Pedersoli Lightning rifle 44-40

Ruger Old Army pistols .45 Scofield.

Thats what I use because I’m a little different, but I have a lot of fun, none the less and rarely finish anywhere near the top but did I mention I have a lot of fun. Attend a match or four and try some guns out and then decide and I’ll bet you that you still end up buying more guns on down the road. 

Archived