SASS Wire Forum

Firearms shipping question: 1875 Springfield

Widder, SASS #59054

My friend has an 1875 (yes, 1875), Springfield trapdoor rifle and he is wanting to ship it

to Mass.

Because it is an antique, yet is also a cartridge firing rifle, what are some of the restrictions he

needs to LEGALLY abide by?

Thanks

..........Widder

In Massachusetts, since it was made before '98, it's an antique.   One of the few areas where this state has not screwed things up.

HOWEVER, once it gets here, the new owner may or may not need to register it.   There is a box to check on the registration form for an "antique firearm."  [online here  https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans]  You are supposed to register any gun bought out of state via this form as soon as you bring it back into the state.   But you can not, for example, buy a gun that is not allowed in Mass [like an AR] and then use this form to register it.   On the other hand, if you purchased a gun that is not Mass compliant legally while you lived in another state [like an SAA] you can bring it with you when you move here.  There is some question as to if you legally need to register them when you move here, but you do need to get a state gun permit to prevent from unlawfully possessing a firearm.   It is also unclear if you can ever sell them to someone else in the state.

But even if the gun is not allowed, if it's on the Curio and Relic list, you can import it into the state legally, as long as you have the C and R Licence.  Still need to register them at link above.

There is also some "debate" as it if you need to register the antiques, or if doing so is voluntary.  I do know that if you buy an antique in the state, depending on the dealer, they may or may not make you fill out the state and federal paperwork, and as such they may or may not ask for your gun permit so that they can fill out said forms.   Basically some dealers are over cautious.  Oh, and you can't fill out the reg form with out the Mass permit.

All of this is based on my best understanding of the very confusing rules here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and what I have had to do at local gun shops and with my C and R licence.  I am not an attorney.  Just a gun owner here in Mass. 

Confusing?   Welcome to Massachusetts.   I think one possible solution is to contact a local FFL dealer and ask them for guidance.  Getting word from the Commonwealth might just be more confusing than anything else.

My personal favorite local gun shop is http://collectorsguns.com/  They've not asked me to fill out any paperwork on the few antiques I've purchased from them.  A GI surplus Spencer and a First Gen Colt are the two most recent ones that I recall.

Thanks Pards.

Apparently, the rifle is worth a few 000's.   Maybe its wise for the recipient to drive to TN and just

pick it up.

Again, thanks!

..........Widder

Thanks Pards.

Apparently, the rifle is worth a few 000's.   Maybe its wise for the recipient to drive to TN and just

pick it up.

Again, thanks!

..........Widder

As far as taking physical possession, yes, that is probably the best way to do it.

When it get's here, well, that's up to him. :)

Archived