SASS Wire Forum

Who's good at bolt welding?

Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

For a little over $100 you can buy a new bolt assembly from Taylor's or VTI.  The new bolt assembly has a replaceable lower tab.  If you wanted, you could send off your old bolt to have the lower tab welded back on or have it milled and a new replaceable lower tab installed (several smith's offer this service) and keep it for a back-up.

That's the option I chose because my local cowboy gunsmith was able to fit the new bolt (that I ordered) while I waited and a repair would have put my gun "out of action" for longer because he had other work ahead of mine.

I believe Snake Oil George could certainly be added to those mentioned above...and I suspect, Lefty Wheeler and Boomstick J as well.

Mike, Lassiter has done at least 20 for me he mills the old tab out and replaces it with a harden insert and uses two pins rather than 1 to stabilize it.  The only fault is the insert is really hard so the same actions that bent/broke it in the first place can cause it to chip/fracture but remains functional.  Never run one to failure.  Jim Bowie does a very good job as well 

Thanks Billy, I am not set up for that and send mine off to Snake Oil.   They all do excellent repairs on them.  

Hi Mike, Lassiter's phone number is 1-937-687-1039.  Address is: Tom's Single Action Shop,  675 Crawford Tom's Run Road,  New Lebanon, OH, 45345

Hope you and Terri are doing well and hope you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Bob Guerrero

Lone Spur Jake

Hi Mike, Lassiter's phone number is 1-937-687-1039.  Address is: Tom's Single Action Shop,  675 Crawford Tom's Run Road,  New Lebanon, OH, 45345

Hope you and Terri are doing well and hope you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Bob Guerrero

Lone Spur Jake

Thanks Bob

Just decided to go to Winter Range again this year, see ya there?

For a little over $100 you can buy a new bolt assembly from Taylor's or VTI.  The new bolt assembly has a replaceable lower tab.  If you wanted, you could send off your old bolt to have the lower tab welded back on or have it milled and a new replaceable lower tab installed (several smith's offer this service) and keep it for a back-up.

That's the option I chose because my local cowboy gunsmith was able to fit the new bolt (that I ordered) while I waited and a repair would have put my gun "out of action" for longer because he had other work ahead of mine.

That's a great option.  You spend about $130 for a brand new bolt, including firing pin, spring and top/bottom replaceable extractors.  Then buy a couple extra extractors for ten bucks apiece, and you never have to look for a tab reweld job again.  With these new bolts, which themselves are drop-in, you can easily replace the extractors yourself.  They are also drop-in, requiring you to only drive out and replace one 1/16" pin.  It makes it possible to put in brand new extractors, both top and bottom, before major matches, thus reducing the opportunity for malfunctions, and without ever sending the gun anywhere and having to wait.  One evening and it's done and ready to go.  

Archived