SASS Wire Forum

Glock releases the G44 .22LR pistol

Pat Riot

Well, Glock announced their new Glock 44 .22 LR pistol today. It’s really too bad I won’t be able to buy one in CA. I have wanted a .22 Glock since I bought my first Glock in 2005. I guess I will have to by a conversion kit after all. 

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g44

I understand the Ruger 1911 isn't allowed in CA either.

I'm told this isn't so much as the gun not meeting some safety requirement, as it is Ruger not willing to pony up the huge $$$ to certify this gun meets the safety requirements.

I find it interesting your Glock fails to be approved, even though it is a 10-round capacity.
CA has apparently exempted all SA revolvers and lever guns, as my Henry Frontier is 16 rounds, and specifically exempt.

CA gun laws are nuts.

I'm told this isn't so much as the gun not meeting some safety requirement, as it is Ruger not willing to pony up the huge $$$ to certify this gun meets the safety requirements.

I find it interesting your Glock fails to be approved, even though it is a 10-round capacity.
CA has apparently exempted all SA revolvers and lever guns, as my Henry Frontier is 16 rounds, and specifically exempt.

CA gun laws are nuts.

Ruger didn’t want to be saddled with maintaining the same design for years and they didn’t want to resubmit guns for testing if they made any changes. 

Glock maintains the manufacture of Gen 3 Glocks to sell in California. Basically they are grandfathered in as long as they do change the Gen 3 design and Glock updates their paperwork each year for each model. 

Interesting that an Austrian company will do this for Californians but an American company will not.  (If this statement irks anyone...:P )

Regardless of a 10 round capacity the new Glock would have to have a Safety, a magazine block safety so it cannot fire with the magazine removed and a loaded chamber indicator to qualify to be tested by CA DOJ if Glock wanted to submit them for testing. 

I don’t see any of these things listed in the website. 

Do they come wit an emergency survival kit?

gluck survival kit.jpg

That is actually a great place to hide a 1911. Glocks never need repairs and it keeps the 1911 safe and secure. That way it doesn’t get broken or have parts wear out when shooting thousands of trouble free rounds from your Glocks. 

One could call it a little 1911 retirement home. :P :D

Sometimes I crack me up :lol::lol::lol:

CA gun laws are nuts.

The reason firearms mfg's don't submit new models of pistols is when that faux mfg. in Germany submitted a pricey 22LR with micro stamping technology for CA drop testing & a single LGS* in SoCal offered it for sale all pistols that weren't already on the CADOJ safe handgun roster had to include micro stamping to be added to the list.  Therefore unless you are a CA LEO with permission from your employer or have a parent or child that live in a free state you as a CA resident are SOL when it comes to acquiring the latest & greatest pistol.  P.S. revolvers are exempt from the micro stamping requirement & SA revolvers are exempt from drop testing.

* The blowback from the 2A activists was so intense that the LGS quickly removed it from inventory. 

A radical new look! Not. ;)

Glock doesn’t mess with success that’s for sure. 

I reckon they'll have a rousing market success with this one!

Buy a Ruger .

You will never regret it :D

That is actually a great place to hide a 1911. Glocks never need repairs and it keeps the 1911 safe and secure. That way it doesn’t get broken or have parts wear out when shooting thousands of trouble free rounds from your Glocks. 

One could call it a little 1911 retirement home. :P :D

Sometimes I crack me up :lol::lol::lol:

I hate Glocks! I've owned a couple, 9mm and one in .380, I'll stick with the 1911 and if it breaks I'll fix it! Glocks to ME are the most uncomfortable gun to shoot. With all due respect Pat, I don't know how anyone likes those ugly blocks of plastic!:blink: That's just  MHO and I know I'm probably in the minority!;)

My 10 year old loves Glock and always wants to shoot my 9mm.  I try to refocus him to a 1911 but he only placates me temporarily and then goes back to a glock.  I bet he would love a glock 22

I policed with a guy who could not shoot a glock worth a lick due to ergonomics.  I don't mind it myself.  

My 10 year old loves Glock and always wants to shoot my 9mm.  I try to refocus him to a 1911 but he only placates me temporarily and then goes back to a glock.  I bet he would love a glock 22

I policed with a guy who could not shoot a glock worth a lick due to ergonomics.  I don't mind it myself.  

Every time I pick one up, it's pointed in a new and different direction, so I feel his pain.

I hate Glocks! I've owned a couple, 9mm and one in .380, I'll stick with the 1911 and if it breaks I'll fix it! Glocks to ME are the most uncomfortable gun to shoot. With all due respect Pat, I don't know how anyone likes those ugly blocks of plastic!:blink: That's just  MHO and I know I'm probably in the minority!;)

That is the beauty of the free market. So many choices. :)

Personally, I love Glocks. I do not care for 1911s. I have owned several and I just don’t care for them. I may get one for WB someday but that’s it. 

Now, I do love my S&W revolvers. That is where the beauty of firearms lies with me. Glocks are ugly. But they are so freakin’ reliable compared to 1911s or any other auto loader, in my opinion. 

I've owned a Glock of some flavor continuously since 1991. They are also among my least-shot handguns. I'm now down to one, a G19, and it just sits in the safe. I just can't stand the ergonomics and the trigger. Yes I could go aftermarket and remedy a lot of it, but I'm not going to spend hundreds just trying to get it to suit me when there are plenty of other guns out there that do.

That is the beauty of the free market. So many choices. :)

Personally, I love Glocks. I do not care for 1911s. I have owned several and I just don’t care for them. I may get one for WB someday but that’s it. 

Now, I do love my S&W revolvers. That is where the beauty of firearms lies with me. Glocks are ugly. But they are so freakin’ reliable compared to 1911s or any other auto loader, in my opinion. 

You don’t care for the 1911?? Pat, thats  almost Un-American!! :P

Well, I shot the 1911 for years. From my time in the Navy up until the late 2000's and then one day I decided enough was enough. I got tired of springs going bad, ejectors going bad, parts going bad, magazines going bad. The final straw was a test I did between a Glock 34 and my Colt 1991A1. I shot them round for round over a couple of range trips to see which did better. At 256 rounds the 1911 stated malfunctioning due to dirt buildup. I lubed the guns every 100 rounds. The 1991A1 went no further. The Glock went to 980 rounds before stovepipng. I disassembled  the gun. Knocked it around a bit to get rid of loose chunks, lubed it, reassembled it and then fired another 200 rounds before another malfunction.

I gave the 1991A1 to my daughter. That was that.

Buy a Ruger .

You will never regret it :D

Wish I could.  'Tain't allowed in our loverly state, don'tcha know.  :wacko:

Well, they're not for everybody. Nothing is. ;)

I carried Glocks on duty from 89 to 06. They are ugly for sure. I could never shoot one as accurately as my S&W 19. For ergonomics I preferred the Model 39. The 59 didn't fit me.

The accuracy of the Glocks is completely acceptable for combat. The design is  excellent. I was a Glock armorer and appreciate the thought that ole Gaston put into his pistol.

The main problem I had in training shooters was with limp wristing. The Glock is pretty unforgiving in that regard. But as far as malfunctions that are not attributable to operator, ammo or mag failures, they were very rare. My department did extensive testing before adopting the Glock 17. During my career I carried a 17, 19, 26, and 21. They all worked very well. The 21 was my favorite.

The Glock is near the top of the list of semi-autos for reliability. I never felt at a disadvantage while carrying one. The people who moan about Tupperwear guns (most of them with virtually No experience with Glocks) make me laugh. They are excellent pistols.

That said, the Glock is just not my favorite, despite it's engineering. I simply can't shoot one as well as other guns I have. I no longer own one. My edc is either a Colt or a Sig. My choice. One could argue the merits and flaws till the cows come home........ and again after they've had a good night's sleep and leave again.

My personal choice is simply based on whatever I can shoot most effectively, not looks, or materials, or even caliber. It's based on which guns I can most effectively shoot.

Well, I shot the 1911 for years. From my time in the Navy up until the late 2000's and then one day I decided enough was enough. I got tired of springs going bad, ejectors going bad, parts going bad, magazines going bad. The final straw was a test I did between a Glock 34 and my Colt 1991A1. I shot them round for round over a couple of range trips to see which did better. At 256 rounds the 1911 stated malfunctioning due to dirt buildup. I lubed the guns every 100 rounds. The 1991A1 went no further. The Glock went to 980 rounds before stovepipng. I disassembled  the gun. Knocked it around a bit to get rid of loose chunks, lubed it, reassembled it and then fired another 200 rounds before another malfunction.

I gave the 1991A1 to my daughter. That was that.

I have a Series 80 Colt that I once ran 1500 rounds through while taking several training courses back to back. All I did was squirt some oil in it on occasion. Never missed a beat. The thing about 1911s is that no two are alike, which is what you often get when you're talking about a pistol that needs some degree of hand fitting.

I have a Series 80 Colt that I once ran 1500 rounds through while taking several training courses back to back. All I did was squirt some oil in it on occasion. Never missed a beat. The thing about 1911s is that no two are alike, which is what you often get when you're talking about a pistol that needs some degree of hand fitting.

Totally agree with Sixgun. My series 80 Colt is well north of an honest 50,000 rounds of bowling pin loads (230 gr lead @ 900 fps) Still on the original recoil and firing pin springs and extractor and still 100 % reliable.

Totally agree with Sixgun. My series 80 Colt is well north of an honest 50,000 rounds of bowling pin loads (230 gr lead @ 900 fps) Still on the original recoil and firing pin springs and extractor and still 100 % reliable.

My first 1911 was a Colt Combat Govt. Still kicking myself for selling it. That gun was reliable. Others were not. I would rather have a gun I can trust all the time than a gun that I cannot. Some folks get lucky with 1911s. Some do not. 

I carried Glocks on duty from 89 to 06. They are ugly for sure. I could never shoot one as accurately as my S&W 19. For ergonomics I preferred the Model 39. The 59 didn't fit me.

The accuracy of the Glocks is completely acceptable for combat. The design is  excellent. I was a Glock armorer and appreciate the thought that ole Gaston put into his pistol.

The main problem I had in training shooters was with limp wristing. The Glock is pretty unforgiving in that regard. But as far as malfunctions that are not attributable to operator, ammo or mag failures, they were very rare. My department did extensive testing before adopting the Glock 17. During my career I carried a 17, 19, 26, and 21. They all worked very well. The 21 was my favorite.

The Glock is near the top of the list of semi-autos for reliability. I never felt at a disadvantage while carrying one. The people who moan about Tupperwear guns (most of them with virtually No experience with Glocks) make me laugh. They are excellent pistols.

That said, the Glock is just not my favorite, despite it's engineering. I simply can't shoot one as well as other guns I have. I no longer own one. My edc is either a Colt or a Sig. My choice. One could argue the merits and flaws till the cows come home........ and again after they've had a good night's sleep and leave again.

My personal choice is simply based on whatever I can shoot most effectively, not looks, or materials, or even caliber. It's based on which guns I can most effectively shoot.

I tried to just quote the line about limp wristing but this Wire update won’t let me. 

Anyway, the majority of problems I have seen with people and their Glocks were exactly as stated. “Limp wristing”. Guys get so upset when you point it out to them. :D

I am one of those guys who’s hands match Glocks perfectly. I know they definitely don’t work for everyone. 
Case in point: SAA and Ruger Vaquero factory (or traditional) grips. I hate the way they fit my hands. I have big hands but hate those grips. I have to slim them down and shave the bottoms slimmer. 

I guess I missed something along the way.  It seems to me when glock and other companies began using the replaceable back straps on their guns,  why didn't glock include one or have one to purchase to resemble the 1911.   It seems to me this would have mostly gotten rid of what some people, including me, call bad ergonomics.   I have been shooting USPSA since 1988 an in my experience have seen as many glocks break and malfunction as any other guns.   I can even tell you where they will break.  Bullett 19707

I tried to just quote the line about limp wristing but this Wire update won’t let me. 
I

Sure it will. But you have to quote the whole post and manually delete out what yup don’t want out. Kinda clunky.

400 seems normal.   I am leaning toward a beretta though as they have a 22 that holds 15 rounds. 

Taurus TX22 is  a new 22 that holds1 rounds and has great reviews even cheaper,    GW

Archived