SASS Wire Forum

Orygun Cowboys’ ACES & EIGHTS Match

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

I recently put together an episode featuring, and detailing, all 8 stages from the Orygun Cowboys’ Aces & Eights match.  Y’all my enjoy watching these stages, shot by various competitors:

The 25 dollar entry fee gets you 4 stages in the morning, lunch, 4 more stages and then a dinner that you can’t possible leave hungry from!  Look up this club if your ever in the Sherwood, Oregon area (just south of Portland). 

I thought everything in Oregon was south of Portland.

:lol: You, sir, are 100% correct.  

(But, Sherwood is JUST South of Portland...)

Will the new gun control proposals make it scary to enter Oregon?

Thanks for doing the video Jedi!  That was great to see.  We work hard at this unique match every year and it's so nice to see it presented on video.

The jail bars were spaced a little close, it was pretty much the one and only "different / tricky" thing we put in the match as kind of a homage to old-school stages.  The stages have to be designed to flow quickly to get 8 of them done in one day.   I try to change up the unique element each year to keep it fresh.

I knew people would ask about the rifle thing.  It's a consequence of an incident from long ago (way over a decade, before I started).  The resulting deal with the range was to check the rifles twice, once under direct TO supervision and again per normal SASS procedure to make sure the rifle's mag tube is empty and any stuck rounds have two chances to be dislodged.

You get used to it and it becomes second nature.   We don't expect guests to remember and just remind everyone "show clear on rifle, ok, Guns to unloading table."

At least with the newer SASS rule allowing a rifle with a lever that closes during a stage to be shown clear for a "no call" at the end of a stage works very well with our existing procedure.  What we are doing is close to the same process so not totally unfamiliar to current rules.

Great match Jed thanks for sharing!

Thanks for watchin’!  

Enjoyed the video as always. Why is there a requirement to lever the rifle, pull the trigger then lever the rifle again to open the action after completing the stage?

Looks like Fast Enuff beat me to the explanation.  

Some of us are way east of Portland.

Howdy Hunt! 

Thanks for doing the video Jedi!  That was great to see.  We work hard at this unique match every year and it's so nice to see it presented on video.

The jail bars were spaced a little close, it was pretty much the one and only "different / tricky" thing we put in the match as kind of a homage to old-school stages.  The stages have to be designed to flow quickly to get 8 of them done in one day.   I try to change up the unique element each year to keep it fresh.

I knew people would ask about the rifle thing.  It's a consequence of an incident from long ago (way over a decade, before I started).  The resulting deal with the range was to check the rifles twice, once under direct TO supervision and again per normal SASS procedure to make sure the rifle's mag tube is empty and any stuck rounds have two chances to be dislodged.

You get used to it and it becomes second nature.   We don't expect guests to remember and just remind everyone "show clear on rifle, ok, Guns to unloading table."

At least with the newer SASS rule allowing a rifle with a lever that closes during a stage to be shown clear for a "no call" at the end of a stage works very well with our existing procedure.  What we are doing is close to the same process so not totally unfamiliar to current rules.

Fast, I’m glad you enjoyed it.  I, obviously, need to shoot up there more often so I get used to that rifle rule.  ;)  I actually address my handling of the bars in this week’s episode of JED iTV (and you and I talked about spacing them out a little more next time).  The match is definitely fresh, fast and fun! I look forward to it.  And I *MIGHT* make it up for this month’s shoot... trying to work that out... no guarantees...

Archived