SASS Wire Forum

OT---6 slugs in a barrel!!

Mustang Gregg

I got a call from someone who packed 6(?) bullets in in a High Point 9 mm carbine barrel.

He didn't know whether they were jacketed or not.

He actually bought some unknown reloaded ammo on an auction.  :wacko:

Got any ideas, other than the OBVIOUS one?

Much obliged,

Mustang

Honestly I'd say cut that barrel lengthwise (through bullets and all) and use it as a teaching tool on how NOT to buy and shoot "suspect" ammo.

Gun isn't a prized collector piece anyway so...

A long drill bit, about 2/3 - 3/4 diameter of 9 mm slugs,  with a pilot bushing that fits the bore diameter of barrel (not the groove diameter).   Chuck barrel in steady rest with the lesser amount of free-bore toward the jaws.   Drill slowly with plenty of cutting fluid applied.     (Unless you have a nice vertical gun drill machine.)     Then tap the shells of the slugs out with a brass rod.

Then charge 4 times the cost of the time and materials used.  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

I would contact Hi-point, they have a good reputation for customer service, see what they say.

Actually I had not thought that HP would even consider fixing a screw up like this.  

GREAT IDEA!

MG

I bet they will.

The people who bad mouth Hi-Point for their guns and quality have rarely shot them or dealt with the factory.

As some of you know; I own a gun shop in Pahrump NV, our next door neighbor, until he passed, was the brother of Hi- Points owner and a pretty consistent visitor to our shop.

He was in the shop one day when a customer came in with a box full of broken Hi-Point pistol.

Seems after shooting at the range - he had placed the gun on the hood of his pickup truck.  Left the range and the obvious happened - gun flew off - struck the highway at about 45mph.  Bounced under the truck and was struck by the truck.  While the driver was turning around to retrieve the gun; he got to watch as it was again run over by a number of semi trucks.

After traffic cleared; he boxed up the pieces. 

Cast slide cracked and twisted.

Polymer frame shattered.

An ugly combination of broken bits and road debris.

He walked into the shop; placed the gun on the counter and jokingly asked about trade in value.

After a few laughs and pointing out a new Hi-Point we happened to have in the case to purchase; our neighbor who was standing there listening said, "Send it back to Hi-Point; lifetime warranty"

We, of course, chuckled at the thought.

He looked at us, dead serious, "Do it".

We said, "Why not?  It's good for a lark."

One week later, we had a package from Hi-Point.

One NEW Hi-Point pistol, with the same serial number, two new magazines and a note apologizing for our inconvenience.

This is not my sole take of their service; just the most interesting one.  Their customer service is equal to or far superior to some "quality" firearms manufacturers that I have had the pleasure of interacting with.

(and as a gun shop owner; I have dealt with a few)

I spoke with the owner at the SHOT show one year; introduced myself and told him the story.  I bluntly asked him if our proximity to his brother had any bearing on the service.

He adamantly stated, "No,

the Hi-Point warranty is for the life of the gun." 

His words, "I don't care if you find one in your garage, the woods or a fire; melted or rusted solid.  We will repair or replace it."

Yes, they are ugly.

And clunky and heavy.

They are not a Perazzi shotgun or Ed Brown 1911; they were never intended to be.

But they are infinitely more reliable than gun snobs will ever admit.

And at their price point; they open the door to ownership and self defense for the casual or low income gun owner.

I bet they do right by you.

A friend of mine who was a LEO and worked in forensics and ballistics visited the Hi Point factory here in Ohio. As he was leaving the asked the owner if he could grab some firing pins. The owner said, "Why do you need firing pins". My friend said, Well those usually go first in low end guns. The owner quite frustrated at that remark said, "If you get one of my guns with a broken firing pin I'll replace it personally. My guns don't break!" He's serious about customer service.

I had a HP .380 that was a literal tack driver! It fed any ammo I put in it. It was big, ugly and heavy but man did that thing shoot great!

Only six? :blink:

Ha, that's nothing for a Hi-Point... Here is one with 35!

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/07/hi-point-warranty-center-finds-carbine-barrel-stuffed-with-35-bullets

I spoke to Lenny at Hi Point.  He said to send it in after their Christmas shutdown break.

They have a LIFETIME WARANTEE...Even if it is not from the original owner.

He also said it will be FREE and to send in all of the mags that you have and they will make sure that they all feed 100%.

Even the original sling if it is frayed, it will be replaced.

BTW:  He asked if the guy did it on purpose, because some have done that.

This is almost as good as Ruger service.  May be better.

Merry Christmas!

Mustang

Archived