SASS Wire Forum

Richard Mason conversions-Options for 1851 navy?

GPG

Hello from the northern Great Plains,

I am considering a pair of 7.5" Richard Mason conversions of the 1851 navy variety-this is of course the fault of Jedi Knight and his YouTube channel.....

When looking around for these I find them called straight up 1851 navy conversions to 1872 models.   Of course the Pietta or Uberti question also.     I would like to have a pair as close to the feel of my 1851 navy colts.  I  am certain the folks here would be able to shine some light on this model of revolver.

thanks in advance

GPG

keep in mind the richard mason conversions still use the rear sight notch on the hammer. they tend to shoot high unless you have the front sight modified. I've also found it difficult for quick sight acquisition. On the upside they have a great natural point of aim IMO and I rarely use the rear sight anyways on a 51. But if you want to use the sights and find that hammer notch difficult you may want to consider the cimarron man with no name (the one without the snake grip) it has a rear sight on the back of the barrel. I think I gave $480 each out the door at my local shop when he ordered them for me. 

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/man-with-no-name-conversion-38-colt-s-w-special-7-1-2-no-inlay.html

YEP.  Cimarron is the only game in town for Richards/Mason Navy conversions.  Nice guns.  Just remember, you will have to correct the abysmal Barrel to Arbor fit for them to run right.

YEP.  Cimarron is the only game in town for Richards/Mason Navy conversions.  Nice guns.  Just remember, you will have to correct the abysmal Barrel to Arbor fit for them to run right.

Taylors has them also. both are uberti though. I musta got lucky on the pair I got the wife. Havent had an issue with how they run yet. 

Taylors has them also. both are uberti though. I musta got lucky on the pair I got the wife. Havent had an issue with how they run yet. 

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/c-mason-revolver/c-mason-revolver-1851-navy.html

The beauty of the 71/72 open tops is that they can be had in any of the offered calibers with either the Navy or Army grips. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the RM's are only available in 38 with the Navy grip and 44/45 with the Army grip. The navy version also has the octagon barrels. If I shot 38 I would be all of them, as they handle really well and have almost no recoil with those heavy barrels. 

Great guns for shooting Outlaw.

I have two pair. 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 inch barrels.

I like the bb front sight.

I had one with a blade sight and round barrel but didn't like it as much.

Different model too I suspect.

Waimea

The beauty of the 71/72 open tops is that they can be had in any of the offered calibers with either the Navy or Army grips. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the RM's are only available in 38 with the Navy grip and 44/45 with the Army grip. The navy version also has the octagon barrels. If I shot 38 I would be all of them, as they handle really well and have almost no recoil with those heavy barrels. 

This is my 71/72 Open Tops Army's in 44 Special with a 66 in 44 Special too.IMG_20180303_151035_748.thumb.jpg.33676764e3bca82fa78922a5521dafad.jpg

A true looking 51 conversion. Would be the cimarron man with no name. It still has the ball ram attached to it. It's a slow process ejecting but it looks great. I own one for fun shooting at home. I love it. 

A true looking 51 conversion. Would be the cimarron man with no name. It still has the ball ram attached to it. It's a slow process ejecting but it looks great. I own one for fun shooting at home. I love it. 

It really doesnt take any extra time to eject the spent cases. the end of the plunger pulls off and is a punch for unloading. 

Yeah I'm loving my new 58' hope to be ordering the second in next couple weeks..my only thing is the hammer is little high and stiff to pull with one hand. Anybody know of after market options. I sure wolf has springs. Lower hammer available?

So who are the Open Top / Richards Mason / Richards  shooters getting parts from these days? VTI is continually out of stock or back ordered which is frustrating! Its time to tune up and correct some items with my two Richards Army 5.5" in 45 Scofield, and most of the parts for the Uberti guns are back ordered etc!

I'm not knocking the Uberti quality, my guns were used when I bought them on the wire, and I've shot them in matches for a few years on top of that. They've actually performed well IMO

So who are the Open Top / Richards Mason / Richards  shooters getting parts from these days? VTI is continually out of stock or back ordered...

Cimarron and Taylors.

Abilene said:

Cimarron and Taylors.

Taylors helped out today and had some parts but no hammers, much like the other suppliers. They all mention that they have to wait around until Uberti sends a shipment, and even then its a hit or miss situation on what arrives. Seems they are backordered everywhere! :mellow:

+1 for Taylor's... I have 4 pair of the '51 Navy R-M conversions and Taylor's has consistently provided whatever parts I have required.   That being said,  I have had  little to no issues with these revolver thanks to Bob Munden and now Jeff Ault's action work.        

_1017814.jpg

I‘ve spent a lot of time shooting the man with no name version in a .38. Have used both smokeless and black powder loads. The factory conversion does not appear to have cylinder pin to barrel fit problem and the added ring on the leaving side of the cylinder helps reduce fouling issues. Can shoot an entire match with black and have no need to break down for cleaning in between stages. If I wasn’t going all c&b I’d get anothern. 

+1 for Taylor's... I have 4 pair of the '51 Navy R-M conversions and Taylor's has consistently provided whatever parts I have required.   That being said,  I have had  little to no issues with these revolver thanks to Bob Munden and now Jeff Ault's action work.        

_1017814.jpg

Nice. Who did the engraving?

I‘ve spent a lot of time shooting the man with no name version in a .38. Have used both smokeless and black powder loads. The factory conversion does not appear to have cylinder pin to barrel fit problem and the added ring on the leaving side of the cylinder helps reduce fouling issues. Can shoot an entire match with black and have no need to break down for cleaning in between stages. If I wasn’t going all c&b I’d get anothern. 

Want to sell yours?

Archived