SASS Wire Forum

Stolen, False Valor Question

Pat Riot

We have a guy at work that claims to be a Vietnam Veteran. He is quite a cantankerous and difficult individual.  I am being very nice hear. I have heard people say that he has a very bad temper and that he has PTSD. Quite honestly I think the guy is a piece of excrement riding a false reputation. He is 65 years old this last July. If he were in Vietnam he would have been there towards the end, I believe. 
Anyway, is there any way to know who served in Vietnam and who didn’t during that time period besides looking at their DD-214?

I do not usually doubt anyone’s claim if military service but this guy just doesn’t add up for me. 

Offer to buy pizza for all Veterans who bring in their dd214 for appreciation day ! 

Tell him that his skin tone is starting to look pale, off color a little.

Make up a medical 'lie' and tell him he might be having some symptoms of Agent Orange effects.

And then suggest he might want to call the VA doctor for an exam.

If he calls the VA, he's a Vet.

If he don't, he probably ain't never seen the inside of a Quonset Hut..... ;)

P.S. - he might not like Pizza..... ;)

.........Widder

Well, I cannot ask this guy or talk to this guy about anything now,. He has been terminated as of  yesterday. Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" guy. It makes me very happy to type this. :D

Thank you all for your suggestions. 

If he is a Vet with PTSD (or ANYTHING that is 'service connected' problems that prevent him from

keeping a job, then the VA will probably have him on a sizable disability rating.

Another item to consider is that if he is a disabled Vet,  would your company terminate him

on such a short notice without a good probable cause?

Some companies are very reluctant to terminate a disabled Vet without first proving some

disability exist that prevents them from being employed.

Another thing to consider is that his age of 65 is good enough to start his Soc.Sec.

SS, plus any VA disability can be ample income for some folks to live well on.

One advantage, depending upon his VA rating, is that he is probably eligible for

ALL his medical expenses, including medicines.

..........Widder

NOT trying to defend this guy, but the term "Viet Nam vet" is now being used by some for those who served while the Viet Nam War was going on, even for those of us who never got out of CONUS!  Personally, I can't go along with this.  As far as I am concerned, I am a "Viet Nam Era" veteran, as the furthest west I got was Fox-7 of Malmstrom AFB's complex while trying to bring a Minuteman I ICBM back up to strategic alert for the "capsule drivers" (launch officers), in case the "go-code" ever came down.  While my job and my team mates may have been important, I just can't consider myself in the same category as those who actually had their "six o'clocks" on the line, including five school mates and others whose names are on the Black Wall. (A college mate of mine is still over there...somewhere...they never found the wreckage of his RF-4.

Since this guy isn't going to be around, maybe it's just as well to let him be.

NOT trying to defend this guy, but the term "Viet Nam vet" is now being used by some for those who served while the Viet Nam War was going on, even for those of us who never got out of CONUS!  Personally, I can't go along with this.  As far as I am concerned, I am a "Viet Nam Era" veteran, as the furthest west I got was Fox-7 of Malmstrom AFB's complex while trying to bring a Minuteman I ICBM back up to strategic alert for the "capsule drivers" (launch officers), in case the "go-code" ever came down.  While my job and my team mates may have been important, I just can't consider myself in the same category as those who actually had their "six o'clocks" on the line, including five school mates and others whose names are on the Black Wall. (A college mate of mine is still over there...somewhere...they never found the wreckage of his RF-4.

I know several people who use that designation, and I think it's appropriate.  You are NEVER trying to mislead anyone by claiming to be something you're not.  

I am also a Viet Nam era vet. I spent my time in the 82nd. 1971 -1973

I just found out I am elegible for VA med benefits.Going through all the

heckups.    

Largo

It is possible to have served in the armed forces and to be a jerk.

Oh, big time! Just because someone’s a Vet doesn’t mean they still can’t be an areshole.

Oh, big time! Just because someone’s a Vet doesn’t mean they still can’t be an areshole.

I resemble that statement:blush:

I am from the era (post Vietnam- pre Timor/Iraq/Afghanistan) that we call the Koala's (Not to be exported or shot at).

The Comstock Cowboys bass player is a Navy vet & was in Italy during the VM war.  He makes it very clear he is VN era vet especially when in the company of vets who served in the VN war zone.

In VN aresholes attracted grenades or 55 grain bullets in the back.

About the only way to out one of these guys is to have a vet from the same time period and branch of service talk to them. It usually takes less 5an 90 seconds. It’s amazing that these guys don’t do any research to build a believable story.

1 big red flag is “I was there but my records are all sealed due to the classified missions I was on. :rolleyes:

I actually had a guy tell me he was “Black Ops CIA shhhh” and put his finger to his lips.

1 big red flag is “I was there but my records are all sealed due to the classified missions I was on. :rolleyes:

I actually had a guy tell me he was “Black Ops CIA shhhh” and put his finger to his lips.

I was going to say something like that above.

I once worked with a guy that said he was a Navy SEAL. I saw his DD214 and it was very bare. There was more on mine and all I did was go to "A" school, Nuke school, and prototype training.

Many years later I was looking at something on the net about SEAL fakers and the guy that ran the site said that if you know someone who claims to be one and you are not sure than send him their name and they will let you know if they are. So I did. Got an email back in a few days and the guy told me he was not a SEAL and wanted to know where he lived.  I had not seen or heard from the guy in 15 or more years and told him so.

I was a Viet Nam era vet. The closest I got to there was Vallejo California. Also I just barely had the 6 month in the service to qualify for that distinction.

I was however a participant in the Iran hostage rescue attempt at least in a minor capacity. I was chief machinery operator in #1 main machinery room on the Nimitz when they launched the Super Sea Stallion helicopters.  

One day I was in a fast food restaurant and the nice young man saw my POW/MIA bracelet and offered me free coffee for being a veteran.  I'm of the right age to be a Vietnam era veteran but I was never in the service.  I immediately told him I didn't deserve it because I never served, it was my grandfather who served in World War I.  The young man ended up buying coffee for me and thanked me for my grandfather's service.  

I belong to the Sons of the American Legion and sometimes have to immediately inform people that I didn't serve, my grandfather did.  Pawpaw passed on in 1970 and I don't want for even a second to take his valor.

About the only way to out one of these guys is to have a vet from the same time period and branch of service talk to them. It usually takes less 5an 90 seconds. It’s amazing that these guys don’t do any research to build a believable story.

Do you know what’s really unfortunate at the agency I work for? It seems that all the vets I knew have all moved on. At my Division, which is still pretty small, I am 1 of 2 military veterans working there out of 25 or so people. The ither guy is a Marine that served in the early 80’s. He doubted the knucklehead’s claims as well. Someday we will be over 100 but judging from what I see this agency has been more interested in hiring other types of people. Not veterans. 

Now, the knucklehead in question from my first post. I tried to ask him about where he served in Vietnam months ago. He said he didn’t want to talk about it and I let it go at that. But what really got me was he supposedly also worked commercial fishing boats in Alaska for years. 
One day I made some basic references to life aboard a ship in heavy seas and asked him how high the gunwales were on his fishing boats. He responded with “What’s a gunnel?” I also asked him what berthing was like aboard a fishing boat in Alaska. He got a silly look and changed the subject. 
But what really bugged me was a few days after we got a new guy, the Marine I mentioned above, we were all in the lunchroom talking and the Marine mentioned owning an M14 and that he had wanted one when he was in the Marines because he got to shoot one at the range on a demo day when the Marines got to try older guns to compare them to the more modern guns they had in the 80’s. 
The knucklehead, who never talked much (probably due to his thousand yard stare causing him constipation or something) pipes up with “We used M14’s in Nam. That round would buzz right through a palm tree where that pipsqueak M16 round would barely skin the bark.”

I said “Do you mean the .308 round versus the .223 round?”

He said “Yeah”

Both the Marine and I gave each other quizzical looks and moved on. He doubted Knucklehead’s validity of service as well. He knew as well as I that the Army phased out M14s by 1967/68. 

Anyway, he is gone now but since he has been fired he will probably sue so I am sure I haven’t heard the last golf this butthead. 

I really do hate auto corporations sometimes 

I once heard a "Vietnam Vet" claim he used a personal Ruger mini 14 rather than the issued M16.  (For those that don't know the Ruger mini was not made until the 80s).  I just rolled my eyes and walked away from that "vet."

I wouldn't think so.

The standard 223/5.56 load in that time period was a 55 grain bullet at 3200 fps.

I've been shot by a BB. Pretty sure that would sting more.

Otto is having a semi-good day

Notice I said ...TIME PERIOD WAS...

Otto wrote TIME, followed by a period (.), then started a new sentence with WAS.

I was about three words further into the sentence when I realized this, which caused me to spout several vile blasphemous profanities.

And Otto wrote all of them down correctly.

I agree that "Vietnam Era Vet" is most applicable. That was how my father-in-law described himself, as he spent most of his time as a doctor on a troopship with Marines in the Mediterranean.

Filling out a state employment application, there was a question as to if you qualified for a veteran's preference based upon when you served. One of them was the Cold War (check), Desert Shield / Storm (check) and post 9/11 (check). I just shrugged and clicked the button.

On a humorous note, every year for Veteran's Day, the school my daughter's attended would have a Veteran's Breakfast, where the kids were to invite a family member that served. For me, one daughter would invite me, the other my father-in-law until he passed. On the last one I attended, the school principal, who would always MC started asking veterans to stand up by decade. I just shook my head and said "Aw, crap." He got to the eighties and I stood, since I went to Basic in '88. Nineties, I kept standing. 2000's. Still standing and shrugging when he made a comment. 2010's... Yep still standing. He just laughed and made another comment, I forget what. I just replied "I found a HOME in the Army!" All the vets laughed, and there was quite a bit of applause.

Would that feel like a BB?

It would either

A. Hurt a lot more than a bb or

B. Not hurt at all beacuse you wouldn't feel a thing

A is preferable to B ;)

AR s are civilian:D

Not always. The Air Force use AR-15's in the '60's, including in 'Nam. Semi-auto only. No forward assist! I never fired an Air Force one (and only a couple of shots from a civilian at a gun range about 1962 or so.  All our site security troops had in Montana  were M2 Carbines with one (1) 15 round magazine loaded with 10 rounds! Those and barely trained kids, who probably would have gone full-auto until out of ammo...or dead...against possible enemy agents armed with scoped bolt-action rifles of at least .243 Winchester up to possibly .300 Weatherby's, on sites that at night were lit up by four spotlights! :wacko:

All the AR's were pipelined to 'Nam :wacko:

I once heard a "Vietnam Vet" claim he used a personal Ruger mini 14 rather than the issued M16.  (For those that don't know the Ruger mini was not made until the 80s).  I just rolled my eyes and walked away from that "vet."

The Mini-14 came out during the 1970s, but yes it was still too late for Vietnam. They might have run better than the M16s, but nobody would've been able to hit anything with 'em.

Most PD's and SO's use the AR with current issue M855A1 military ammo.

OLG 

OLG with much respect, SO's use a multitude of guns depending on the mission.  The only "AR" type gun used is the M4.  Navy SO's use everything from .45 cal 1911's to H&K's and Sigs, along with the standard issue Beretta 92F and others as needed.  If conducting CQB where multiple targets might be engaged (target rich environment ;)) a 1911 with a 8 round magazine would probably be the gun of choice.  Seals are given carte blanche with regards to equipment, and teams will usually outfit with the same guns to allow for ammo and magazine compatibility.  

Also, thanks to folks who willingly admit that they didn't serve.  It's an insult to all Vets when someone claims "stolen/false valor".

"Also, thanks to folks who willingly admit that they didn't serve.  It's an insult to all Vets when someone claims "stolen/false valor"."

This brings up something that I really want to know how vets feel about it. First off, I'm not a military vet. I tried to join the Air Force post Nam but bad sinus' washed me out for flight training. This past summer we visited the USS Silversides in Muskegon, Mi, while there I purchased a ball cap in the museum to support keeping her open. Now if I wear that cap in public I get people coming up and thanking me for my service! I try to tell them it's a museum but most just say  "well Thank You anyhow" It makes me feel so bad when they do this I pretty much quit wearing the hat. I supported the Silversides because my dad was in WWII and I have a cousin that's a 20yr bubblehead not to try to steal valor. How do you vets feel about this, should I wear it or not?   

Archived